PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the WAC as described by the Austin newspaper

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

the WAC as described by the Austin newspaper

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:15 am

in this morning's annual football preview:

"This is a truly awful league"

ouch. true, but ouch anyway. and it doesn't help that they gush all over the tadpoles. yuck.

but i'll be in lubbock anyway pulling for the red and blue!
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Re: the WAC as described by the Austin newspaper

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:35 am

At least they mentioned the WAC, although maybe it would have been better if they said nothing. In the Washington Post college preview, they only covered the BCS conferences, Navy, Howard, and Georegetown (the local schools) and had a page about "the schools in the other conferences" and highlighted in small blurbs about a dozen teams of interest. TCU, UCF, Marshall, Hawaii, Tulane, and some others.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby VarsityShop » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:53 am

re: "truly awful"

Is that "truly awful" as in the way Texas has looked against the Oklahoma Sooners for the last three years in a row of "spankings"?

If OU spanks Mack Brown again this year it will be 4 in a row......and that would be "truly awful"!

LOL

VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VarsityShop:
<B>re: "truly awful"

Is that "truly awful" as in the way Texas has looked against the Oklahoma Sooners for the last three years in a row of "spankings"?

If OU spanks Mack Brown again this year it will be 4 in a row......and that would be "truly awful"!

LOL

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the only defense you have for what the AAS said about the WAC is to live vicariously through OU?

Sad.
Tech55_SMU0

Postby The CPC » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tech55_SMU0:
<B> So the only defense you have for what the AAS said about the WAC is to live vicariously through OU?

Sad.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing sadder than that, is that CPC now finds himself forced to agree with a Tech fan. Positively mortifying. Oh, the shame of it!
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:49 pm

Okay, where do I start:

1) The AAS is a "truly awful" paper. Nothing it says is worth paying much attention to. Try reading it some time. Almost every article is picked up from the wire, and it is clear from the remaining articles that they don't have any skilled editors. I have never, ever read a paper (including the DC) that cuts off as many articles halfway through, or has as many spelling and grammatical errors.

2) They pay attention to nothing but local teams. As far as colleges are concerned, they follow the big 12, some SWT, and that is all. On gameday, they pick up the small blurbs from the wire on the other national games, and on about half the non-big 12 Texas schools, and dump the other half randomly. This means that on a given Sunday, you will see blurbs about the Rice, SFA, and Lamar games, but they will leave SMU, Houston, TCU, and UTEP out.

3) UT forces the media here to run positive stories about UT and hype it to no end without too much critical discussion. Ask KLBJ why 1300 now carries the UT games. It as absolutely obnoxious.

4) Sure the WAC is not a BCS league, but to claim that is "truly awful" is a comment made by someone who doesn't have a clue. Fresno State, Boise State and Hawaii certainly pull the league out of the "truly awful" zone.

The AAS can kiss my [deleted].
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:54 pm

amen brother! the AAS is a POS. i should have gone on to say so.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby VarsityShop » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:34 pm

No I am not making a defense, I am simply stating a fact like the Austin paper.

It is such a wonderful thing when those Longhorns get too big for their britches that the good ole Oklahoma Sooners come across the border to do a little hide tanning on the Horns!

Go Mustangs! - Boomer Sooners!

VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby Southland » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoofbeat83:
<B>in this morning's annual football preview:

"This is a truly awful league"

ouch. true, but ouch anyway. and it doesn't help that they gush all over the tadpoles. yuck.

but i'll be in lubbock anyway pulling for the red and blue!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly, local news organizations don't have a strong grasp on schools they don't cover. Truth is, even the national analysts neither take the time to enhance their knowledge of all 117 schools, nor study the non-BCS conferences. Often the reporting is on the perception rather than the reality.

Of non-BCS conferences in 2002, the WAC had the highest rated school, the highest composite TV ratings for a package, and the best Bowl record.

It wasn't a fluke: The WAC also has had the highest rated school 3 of the past 4 years, and has been the TV ratings champ 5 years running.
Southland
Varsity

Return to Football