PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

History Lesson, please...Coaches

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: History Lesson, please...Coaches

Postby HorsePower » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrydel:
<B>As a side note: Keep the spirit MM65 we need more like you.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely - MrMustang65 is a tribute to the SMU community and to our teams!
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:49 pm

The defenses during Fry's era were at times erratic. He had great offenses and seemed to get the most out of his offensive talent but at times his defenses were suspect (certainly not in the Blue Bonnet Bowl late in the fourth quarter).

That may have contributed to his demise at SMU. To be a top tier team at that time required a strong consistent defense.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:18 pm

Defense did get suspect during Coach Fry's last years. In my last year (Football season 1971)Fry turned the defense over to Ray Utley and moved everybody over 200 lbs. except for a couple of LBs to offense. We had the smallest defense in the SWC and did a very admirable job. I do not remember the stats but we held a very potent Texas wishbone team to low yardage for the year and could have beaten them without a few questionable calls.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:23 pm

Thanks, Hoopfan. I saw on another thread that you're planning on going to Lubbock. GREAT! By the way, that offer of a beer (or whatever liquid refreshment of your choice Image ) still holds!

GO MUSTANGS! BEAT TECH! R-O-D-E-O!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyte » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:24 pm

mrydel, will U be at the Letterman's BBQ on the 19th? I finally hooked up with Arkpony. I hope we can get together for some SMU football this year.
ponyte

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:42 pm

ponyte

Right now my work keeps me from even seeing daylight. I am taking off tomorrow and next week to go see my new grandbaby in Austin. Hope to be able to pick up the TT game somehow, but I doubt it in tu land. Next time you and Arkpony get together I will try to make it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby BornRed&Blue » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:06 am

HixsontoLevias:
Regarding your post -
"Oh, and by the way, did you know that MrMustang65 did not attend SMU, his daddy was a cheerleader, and he rode in a convertible, was kissed by the cheerleaders, and was named Mr. Mustang in 1965??"

The next time you want to make a point, MAKE A POINT, not ask a question. What difference does it make that MrMustang65 didn't attend SMU. If we had more non-graduates rooting for SMU, like other schools do, we would be so much better off. Do you think all those fans at UT and A&M ACTUALLY WENT TO THOSE SCHOOLS ? ? ? ? What are you smoking? And he doesn't even live in Dallas. What we need is more MrMustangs that live in Dallas, and support SMU, because SMU is the "home team". You are like the playground bully, go to someone else's playground to pick on people. Don't pick on one of "our own".
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BornRed&Blue:
<B>HixsontoLevias:
Regarding your post -
"Oh, and by the way, did you know that MrMustang65 did not attend SMU, his daddy was a cheerleader, and he rode in a convertible, was kissed by the cheerleaders, and was named Mr. Mustang in 1965??"

The next time you want to make a point, MAKE A POINT, not ask a question. What difference does it make that MrMustang65 didn't attend SMU. If we had more non-graduates rooting for SMU, like other schools do, we would be so much better off. Do you think all those fans at UT and A&M ACTUALLY WENT TO THOSE SCHOOLS ? ? ? ? What are you smoking? And he doesn't even live in Dallas. What we need is more MrMustangs that live in Dallas, and support SMU, because SMU is the "home team". You are like the playground bully, go to someone else's playground to pick on people. Don't pick on one of "our own".</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it seems that most A&M fans either went to the school or have been influenced by family aTm alumni. It's a school only a mother (son/daughter/father) could love. ;]
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:43 am

From what I heard and I was attending SMU the year Fry was fired was that the administration pretty much decided to fire him after we lost to Virginia Tech by 3(that would be a badge of honor today). And as far as running a "clean" program, the boosters were extremely involved back then. Remember about 2 of our NCAA probations occurred during his tenure. I think he was a creative solid coach, who did blossom as time went on. He learned a lot at SMU which served him well later in his career. He was a great recruiter. I do think it was time for him to move on in 1972, but I think hiring Smith was the bigger mistake. But remember also, in 1972 we have the two best tail backs in the SWC, and Texas was killing everyone with the wishbone. I think the powers that be felt that we needed someone who could install that offense. Smith promised that and was hired. The problem was that the team Fry built was for a pro-set, and he had no power fullback and no option quarterback and had to use a freshman, Ricky Wesson.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Football