PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

History Lesson, please...Coaches

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

History Lesson, please...Coaches

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:22 pm

Matty Bell coached the Ponies from '35 - 41, and '45 - 49..where was he for the 1942 - 1944 seasons?? Hayden Fry..the 3 seasons after the '68 Bluebonnet Bowl victory were tough, 12-20, but, in 1972, the Fry lead Mustangs rebounded for a 7-4 record, winning their last 3 (Arkansas, Baylor, add ran), why did we fire Hayden? And wasn't Dave Smith on his staff?? Oh, and by the way, did you know that MrMustang65 did not attend SMU, his daddy was a cheerleader, and he rode in a convertible, was kissed by the cheerleaders, and was named Mr. Mustang in 1965?? Long Live Alvin Maxson.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: History Lesson, please...Coaches

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:57 pm

The firing of Hayden Fry was one of the great blunders of the "modern" SMU era. It was a mid-season decision (again a blunder), and we just missed getting a bowl invite when there were many fewer than exist today. Fry wasn't the perfect coach, but he was the right guy for SMU. Perhaps even a greater blunder was to follow Fry with Smith, who brought absolutely nothing to the table, when we had people like Bum Phillips on Fry's staff who wanted the job.

The actions, taken as a whole, where complete insanity on the part of SMU's administration.

Ron Meyer arrived in response to the dreadful Smith era and the rest is history...some very good, some not so good.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 08-27-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:32 am

Fry was let go because the administration (which was MUCH more pro-football than now) felt he could never go "all the way"..i.e. win a national championship. I liked Fry. He and Ron Meyer were the only SMU coaches to ever return my phone calls or respond to my letters. Nice guys, both of them..and great coaches.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HixsontoLeVias:
<B>Oh, and by the way, did you know that MrMustang65 did not attend SMU, his daddy was a cheerleader, and he rode in a convertible, was kissed by the cheerleaders, and was named Mr. Mustang in 1965??</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I've got more spirit and love for this school coursing thru my veins than a lot of other people who post here.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HixsontoLeVias:
<B>Matty Bell coached the Ponies from '35 - 41, and '45 - 49..where was he for the 1942 - 1944 seasons?? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was in the Navy during WWII. Here's his bio.

<A HREF="http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/bellmatt.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/bellmatt.shtml</A>

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:33 am

...were yo named Mr. Mustang at the 1965 SMU Pigskin review..??? See..I always thought you were Mr. Rogers stunt double from '68 - 71. Oh, and btw, sort of like questioning someones faith, don't come on here and tell us you are "more SMUish, more spirited, and a better Mustang than the rest of us.."PLEASE!! Long Live Red McLain..do you even know who that is, MM1965??
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:53 am

if we had more people like "MrMustang1965" in support of smu sports, we wouldn't have the crowds we have now!!!!

long live "MrMustang1965"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:03 am

Lay off Mr. Mustang65. Whats your problem dude? That kind of attitude is what gives SMU a bad name in some circles.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:16 am

Dave Smith was hired from Oklahoma St. when that used to be a step up in stature-he was not on the SMU staff.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:04 pm

Clinton 'Red' McClain, orphaned at an early age, was raised at the Methodist Home in Waco, TX and later attended SMU where he was a lineman in the late 30s/early 40s. Lettered in '39-'40. Later went on to play for the NY Giants. Also coached at SMU. He also was a lieutenant on a PT boat during WWII. There is an endowment scholarship in his name for athletics at SMU. He also was very influential in the Mustang Club.

Notes to HixsontoLevias & Hoopfan: My apologies for upsetting both of you. My love for this school is timeless and boundless. Sometimes I get a little overzealous. If I offended either of you, I hope you will accept this public apology. If we ever meet, the first round of beer is on me. (BTW, I was named Mr. Mustang at the Homecoming BBQ in 1965, not the Pigskin Revue. Image )

Note to Navy&Crimson: Thank you.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 08-28-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:12 pm

MM65, I believe HF was defending you.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:16 pm

Mustang65

As they say in show business, "don't let them see you sweat" Consider the source.

I loved the Red McClain response. You are the man.

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 08-28-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby OldPony » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:47 pm

Fry was fired becuase it was felt he couldn't coach a really good team. One year he had Mac White starting instead of Livvy. John Roderick signed pro after his junior year because Fry didn't like him and he may not start. Fry was young and had some extremely wild ideas about offense. Does anyone else remember the "Flying Wishbone"? I always felt he could take no material and win 4-5 games with it but he could also take the best teams and win 7-8 games. He matured a lot a NT and later Iowa and became a better coach. He was a great recruiter, motivator etc at SMU but sometimes seem to lose his mind at game time. He played guys he thought tried hardest sometimes at the expense of putting really talented people on the bench. Much to admire about hs discipline, much to admire about his inventiveness and recruiting. Sometimes that inventiveness went to far and he tricked himself a lot though. One of my favorites of his blunders was a fake quick kick that he ran. Think about that for a minute. Like all schools though, SMU became impatient when he got to a certain level. We, in hind sight, would have been much better off to have kept him forever. He would have been our Grant Teaff.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:59 pm

Mr. Mustang65, after reading it, my post was poorly written, but I was telling Hixson to lay off of you, not vice versa. I thought his post was out of line. Not that he cares what I think, just wanted to clarify.
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:26 pm

I played under Hayden Fry and a few months ago, on this board, reported my strong relationship, respect,and love for the man. However, that said, Coach Fry was under unbelievable pressure to win. While on the sidelines during the games, I personally saw Fry "fire", "rehire" and "fire" again many assistant coaches in anger over incidents on the field. (That included Dave Smith by the way who was OL coach prior to OSU). Many of the players laughed at Coach Fry behind his back and lost much respect for him during this time. A team mate of mine went to NTSU as a graduate assistant. This player was not a fan of Coach Fry, but he called me not long after the season at NTSU started and told me that Coach Fry was a different man and working without the administrative pressure he was showing his brilliance as a coach. I know that Hayden was a great coach and a great man. Some did not get to appreciate the greatness that he had. He could not have continued at SMU when he was let go. He could not have gone on the way it was with the pressure that was placed on him. It was a loss to have him go in a way, but it was far and away the best thing for him.

As a side note: Keep the spirit MM65 we need more like you.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football