PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ultimate Homer or Insider?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ultimate Homer or Insider?

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:32 pm

Anybody notice in todays DMN, that Keith Whitmire picks SMU to win the game? Whitmire is an SMU alum, but I've seen him pick against the Ponies many times, so I wouldnt exactly call him a homer. Is Whitmire seeing something behind the scenes that has him bullish on the Stangs? Hows that for wishful thinking boys?
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ultimate Homer or Insider?

Postby Arkpony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:53 pm

More Bizarre things have happened. I have eternal hope and confidence!

Long Live Inez Perez!!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ponyte » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:10 pm

At least one person has confidence to predict the unlikely. We have not had that kind of confidence in some time.

Which team had the greatest potential to improve since last year? SMU. We had a young team with brand new offenses and defenses. In addition, a new QB with zero experience. That has change this year. Bennett has had a year to improve skill players and improve the sophistication of the offense and defense. Tech will have to prepare for a more complex SMU defense and offense. Plus, we have more experience overall in our team as compared to last year.

Tech has little room to improve. The D-line has questions and the QB must meet or exceed a very high standard (based on the last Tech QB). That is an unknown as well. The skill positions are very much similar to last year.

Does this mean we will win. Not necessarily but it does offer hope and optimism for Pony fans.

Arkpony, are U making the trip to see the game. Wish I could join U.
ponyte

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:33 pm

HF, I read that at lunch and was going to post it. I am very surprised that he picked us as well. 5 of the 9 picked us to cover, which I guess isn't saying a whole lot since we are a 24 pt underdog. But your right, Whitmire usually has a pretty good handle on the local cf scene. I expect a competitive game tomorrow.
And on a totally unrelated subject, how great was that Britney, Madonna kiss last night. My god, she has no musical talent but Britney is so unbelievably hot. Doing coke at clubs in LA and now kissing girls, she has truly arrived.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUguy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:51 pm

I don't know if he still is, but for years, Whitmire was a season ticket holder at his alma mater. Take his prediction with a grain of salt.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:57 pm

I missed it, but I'm hoping to see a replay. I just got Tivo, i need to put that thing to work better.
Hoop Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:01 pm

SMUguy, Whitmire was or is the Big 12 beat writer. I don't think he likes to make a habit of making himself look stupid picking local games. My guess is he knows Tech pretty well and that and he took a flyer on an upset based on the Tech defense and their injury situation.
Hoop Fan

Postby StangEsq » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:12 pm

is this online anywhere? i don't have a copy of the paper...
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:23 pm

Go to the yahoo homepage. They have a slideshow of it.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Southland » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:26 pm

My guess is that he is looking at it this way…

1. It was a close game last year at 24-14
2. Tech is a little worse, SMU a little better, which off-sets the location change
3. It is going to rain, which will favor the run
4. 1-3 considered, what the hell, SMU wins a sloppy game

I tend to agree that it will be an ugly game without a lot of scoring (like last year), but as a betting man, you have to pick against SMU (straight up) until this group of players proves it can win a big road game… the program really hasn’t done that since we beat Arkansas in 1996.

I’m definitely hopeful; we’ll see how it plays out.
Southland
Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:27 pm

here are the picks

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/img/08-03/0829colpicks.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/img/08-03/0829colpicks.pdf</A>
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:29 pm

True, he knows a lot about a lot of teams, and I can't remember a single instance when his picks made him look stupid. I wasn't suggesting any bias. Just offering another perspective.
Hopefully his prediction is right!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:30 pm

Here's hoping for a torrential downpour. Slippery conditions generally favor the underdog.
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Techsan81 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:40 pm

I saw that. But I also saw this:

<A HREF="http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html</A>

(Hope I haven't violated any protocol posting a link to that site. If so, deepest apologies.)

[This message has been edited by Techsan81 (edited 08-29-2003).]
I was born... on the Llano Estacado.
Techsan81
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:49 pm

...there will be bundles of points scored in this game. I don't understand how anyone who has looked at the strengths and weaknesses of these two teams can come to the conclusion that this will be a low scoring game. If SMU thinks they are going to WIN this game by playing conservative then you will be sadly disappointed Saturday Night. Bets are off if there is a torrential downpour. SMU is not going to upset a team in Lubbock by holding Big 12 team to 20-25 below its average offensive output last year when that offense has just about as much returning firepower as any offense in the country.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football