PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ultimate Homer or Insider?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ultimate Homer or Insider?

Postby PK » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:04 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Techsan81:
<B>I saw that. But I also saw this:

<A HREF="http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html</A>

</B>
Interesting that Keith Whitmire in todays paper is now picking SMU to win straight up. Evidently he wasn't so confident when he gave MM.com his pick earlier in the week (?month?).

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 08-29-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:10 pm

Whitmires contradiction makes no sense. My guess now is a misprint in the DMN. Unless like PK suggests some late injuries had him backing off Tech. We'll see, either way this would be a great upset for SMU. You gotta play em to have a shot to beat em.
Hoop Fan

Postby Southland » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B>...there will be bundles of points scored in this game. I don't understand how anyone who has looked at the strengths and weaknesses of these two teams can come to the conclusion that this will be a low scoring game. If SMU thinks they are going to WIN this game by playing conservative then you will be sadly disappointed Saturday Night. Bets are off if there is a torrential downpour. SMU is not going to upset a team in Lubbock by holding Big 12 team to 20-25 below its average offensive output last year when that offense has just about as much returning firepower as any offense in the country. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, they had a lot of firepower last year... threw the ball more than 50 times for 375 yards, rushed for 115... but still only scored 24 points.

Games aren't played on paper, there played on the field, and with the variables being what they are, I'd bet the under.

Feel free to write in all caps, and bitterly try to discredit...
Southland
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:53 pm

My guess is TT 42 SMU 24. I'm afraid their O is too strong for our D. Our O will do OK against their D. If we can sucessfully throw early and then run the ball, we can keep them from scoring 42 but we must run the ball and use clock. Some 7-8 minute drives by the Ponies are just what the Dr. orders. Anyone who thinks we have a chance to win if we play wide open offense is mistaken. Best chance- Run well, throw effectively and get lucky on D.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 pm

...this forum gets more comical every single day. "So why the heck you hang around, HixsontoLeVias?"..for insight, humor, a good laugh or two. So Kevin Whitmire picks the Ponies to beat Tech on Saturday and that fact alone starts a "hot, two plus page" thread?? Man, sort of sad, don't ya think....are we foaming at the mouth over Whitmire's pick OR has our program sunk to such a low that this is news?? Both answers are sad... Help me here....Long Live Mike Rice.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PK » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:19 pm

That's Keith Whitmire...Memphis.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:32 pm

You are so right Hixson, reading your newsworthy posts throwing stones at Mr. Mustang65's are such a better use of everyone's time. I guess that unless you have relevant, hard-hitting news to report, we won't be hearing any more of your same old MemphisMustang hypocritical BS. This is a discussion forum, not a news forum, jerk. And I say jerk in the most complimentary way, because I know that's what you are striving for in your interaction here.
Hoop Fan

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:55 pm

It looks like SMU did exactly that last year, Stallion (hold Tech to 20-25 pts below their average)
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>[QUOTE]Originally posted by Techsan81:
I saw that. But I also saw this:

<A HREF="http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/picks/index.html</A>

</B>
Interesting that Keith Whitmire in todays paper is now picking SMU to win straight up. Evidently he wasn't so confident when he gave MM.com his pick earlier in the week (?month?).

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 08-29-2003).]
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also saw that. The funny part is that Gangi identifies himself with Dallasnews.com, rather than as the owner of mm.com.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:21 pm

Clearly Whitmire had no idea what he was talking about.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Previous

Return to Football