PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will fans be happy with a 14-17 point loss?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will fans be happy with a 14-17 point loss?

Postby PonySnob » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:08 pm

While I certainly hope that SMU wins tomorrow, will fans be happy if SMU loses by 14-17 points? Are we still happy with "moral" victories?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will fans be happy with a 14-17 point loss?

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 pm

Nope, I'll be ticked if we lose. We should start to 'expect' to win instead of thinking we are probably going to lose. Talent is important, but we also have to kick the mental part up a notch.

It's almost helmet crackin' time!!!
SmooBoy

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 pm

I won't be happy unless we win.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:14 pm

Happy, NO. But not disgusted either. I just want to see us put points on the board at a minimum against the Tech defense. The outcome of the game will not effect my outlook for the rest of the year, as much as the ability for the offense to work against a very average sounding D-1 defense. Basically, I would rather lose 42-28 than 24-10.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:16 pm

I can't imagine anyone happy about a loss ever.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:22 pm

Snob, you need antidepressants. please get some, or else you're going to drive ME into depression. adopt a positive outlook for ONCE.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:55 pm

Give the guy a break, he is just being realistic.

While I would never be "happy" with a loss, I am looking forward to seeing how competitive we are. Tech might not get the 40 they got all of last year at home, but they are gonna at the least score in the thirties. I would love to see our offense put some numbers up too and at least give em a close game.

An average college football team would not win the game at Tech. And I don't think the guys are experienced enough to qualify as an average CF team yet. I don't expect a win, but I do expect a good game, and will be dissappointed if we only manage 20 points and get blown out.
JasonB

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:18 pm

..I predict some weird last minute kick off return razzle dazzle play with Bobby Leach running down the sideline and then Stampede and Chris Rentzel running on the field..oh, sorry, day dreaming again, this years game....uhhmm...24-21 SMU. How's that? Positive? Can I stay on this forum??
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Diehard Pony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:34 pm

Playing Tech (and TCU, for that matter) tight last year encouraged me, and I accepted it as a moral victory. However, nothing came of it as the losing streak continued. I think I am done with moral victories (i.e., I will not be happy with one), unless we follow it up with consistent progress.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:04 pm

It's not that I don't try to be positive, but I get very tired of always having to hope that we are going to win more than 3 or 4 games. At some point, SMU fans should be able to "expect" to win. Our performance on the field, with the exception of one 6-5 season, has been about the same every year since football resumed. While we have stayed at the bottom of the Division 1 ladder, our biggest rival 30 miles to the west, has made enough progress to become a consistent top 25 program and enjoy a huge amount of success in the their last two conferences on the football field. They seem to be enjoying winning seasons and bowl games while all SMU fans talk about is next year. Even the team 30 miles to the north has managed to pass us in the college football ranks. It sickens me that of the three divion 1 programs in the metroplex, SMU continues to be #3.
I do firmly believe that Bennett is the right coach to have, I just hope that we can get some results very soon as I would truly hate to see SMU get left behind in the next conference shuffle.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:18 pm

PS, write your Congressmen. Seriously, generic grumping on these forums does no good. Do what I've done before, write Dr. Turner a letter. He'll read it, that much is for sure and respond. We're all sick of losing, but Bennett has things going the right way. What else can we do but let it happen?
Hoop Fan

Postby PonySnob » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:33 pm

Don't even get me going with regards to our less than average performance in basketball!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Return to Football