PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll: Worst first game of the year post DP?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Poll: Worst first game of the year post DP?

Postby PonySnob » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:16 pm

Tonights game has to be the worst game by and SMU team to open a season since the DP. It truly looks like SMU has no business playing Division 1 football.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Poll: Worst first game of the year post DP?

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:19 pm

The wheels came off, but one blow out is not definitive. The next game will tell the tale.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby OlePony » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:51 pm

Actually, I thoght last year was a worse loss. Being blown out by the 117th ranked D=1 team was much worse.
OlePony
Recruit

Postby fbdad » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:59 pm

Baylor played a decent game against UAB almost winning. They've got an excellent quarterback in Karas. He's long overdue. He was one of the best high school quarterbacks in the Houston area when recruited by Baylor.They've got a good receiver core. We may have our hands full again if we have to face another 300plus yard passing attack as we did tonight.Our secondary is the key as it was last year.Weon't improve in that area, we lose. I don't care how good our offense gets, it will never keep up with a porous pass defense.
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby cowboypony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:06 am

It's truly sad that all we have to talk about right now is ranking our worst losses. Just shows you how bad SMU football really is. Each year on Labor Day weekend I keep thinking that things will start to turn around and that it can't get any worse. Each year it keeps getting worse. And yes, this loss is ABSOLUTELY worse than last years b/c we're a year further into the Bennett era and the same junior high type screw ups are occuring. Let's face some facts: Tech is a good team - not a great team. UNT just played in Norman and didn't get embarrassed. UConn just beat the crap out of Indiana, etc. etc. etc. As much as I hate to say this, I'm glad we didn't open up with UNT. Right now it's hard for me to imagine that there is any D1 team we can beat. As much of an SMU fan as I am, I'll have to see a win before I can believe it. There is ZERO excuse to lose 58-10! Our clock is running folks. I'm on board with Bennett and am really excited about his recruiting etc. However, that momentum is going to come to a screeching halt if some tangible results aren't shown real soon. At some point real soon, we've got to not only win a few games but actually beat someone we're not supposed to. Unfortunately, I can't see either happening.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:47 am

This was one of the most embarassing games in SMU history... perhaps right behind the 95 points we gave up to Houston. We weren't playing Miami or Ohio State, but a team that by most accounts was ranked in the lower half of Division I. Plus another year for our Tech friends to make fun of us. All the momentum of the offseason killed in two hours.

I'm just hoping that we're not seeing a reincarnation of the basketball program -- all recruiting and no coaching.

At least the NFL season begins next week. Hopefully the Cowboys will show up for their first game and I can at least have some interest in the NFL season.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Observer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StangEsq:
<B>This was one of the most embarassing games in SMU history... perhaps right behind the 95 points we gave up to Houston. We weren't playing Miami or Ohio State, but a team that by most accounts was ranked in the lower half of Division I. Plus another year for our Tech friends to make fun of us. All the momentum of the offseason killed in two hours.

I'm just hoping that we're not seeing a reincarnation of the basketball program -- all recruiting and no coaching.

At least the NFL season begins next week. Hopefully the Cowboys will show up for their first game and I can at least have some interest in the NFL season.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it makes you feel any better, Tech is ranked in the top half of Division IA by most standards. Anywhere from 21 to 70 depending on where you look.

By most accounts, I think TT is underrated. They are picked to finish lower this year because they have a new QB, yet that QB has a stronger arm and Tech's system makes almost any QB successful.

They are likely to finish much higher than anyone picked them.

On the contrary, my Ags are headed for the toilet unless they find an offense. If misery loves company, the Ags are right there with you.
Observer

Postby TCU_backer1 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:14 pm

I would not be down on yourselves so hard. From what I saw, you are getting better... it does take time! This is one of your hardest games on the schedule this year. When conference comes around, you will be able to pound the he!! out of other teams.

As for TCU, you will be a lot better then at the end of the season, than last night the beginning.

Just words for thought. It is pretty rare to see a TCU fan be more optimistic than the Pony brethren.
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cowboypony:
<B>UNT just played in Norman and didn't get embarrassed.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude! They lost 37-3! How the hell can you say they didnt get embarrassed!
You also said this is worse than last year's loss on the opener! How can you say that! SMU lost to Navy! The Worst!! Team in Division 1A Football not just lost we got killed! And then this year we get killed by a pretty good team that was in a bowl game last year! Baylor will be the deciding factor on if weve improved or not
Mustangs35SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:38 pm

Baylor will be our measuring stick? Puhleeaaze people. Seasons aren't determined in the first 2 weeks.

Navy was by far our worst opening loss post DP. We played well with Tech, a team that will do well in the Big12 this year. I saw plenty of encouraging signs from our team. The fact is, we're still young and not deep enough to compete with Big 12 teams. It's ok! Tech is not Navy! I don't expect us to win at Baylor and certainly not OkState, but I would like to see some improvement at every position. If anything, these games should be tune-ups for the conference schedule. It's looking like this is going to be a down year for the WAC which means a lot more parity and more opportunities to win.

I think we executed on offense much better than last year (even with Bartel having an off night, if thats what it was). KK is solid, and I hope we all knew that the O-line wasn't going to come out and gel in week one. Some of you just don't have realistic expectations (and more of you are just unrealisticly pessimistic). I'm less encouraged by the level of football knowledge on this board than by our performance last night. I'm sick of the whiners. just STOP it. Seriously, PonySnob, get a grip. And all you others who's outlook on SMU football shift from week to week, stop commenting if you have nothing constructive to say.

Talk about fairweather fans.. you can pick apart the team all you want, but at least know what you're talking about. PLEASE.

THIS WAS NOT ONE OF THE MOST EMBARRASING LOSSES IN SMU HISTORY. You all got your hopes up because Tech didn't prepare for us last year. This was a football game that we were expected to lose by at least 24 points. Playing an underrated Tech team in LUBBOCK where they average over 40 points a game. Hello? Earth to SMU Fans.

GET A GRIP!

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 08-31-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:37 pm

Nope. It's last year's Navy game as the worst. Our defense just couldn't stop Tech's offense which has happened to a lot of teams that have played Tech lately. Then we give up 14 free ones in the last 2 minutes which resulted in a bad game turning into an
embarassment. 44 - 10 was about what I was expecting without a lot of turnover help from Tech. Symons took up right where Kingsbury left off.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:21 pm

Actually I thinkthe worst first game of the year was our victory over Kansas to open the stadium. It's not the only thing, but it probably helped keep Cavan here an extra year, and no matter what you think of Bennett, Cavan definitely need to be gone.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:28 pm

...that's right-this thing is all Mike Cavan's fault. Well I've got a special little fact especially for you and all the rest who think that all we needed was a good coach to turn this thing around. Phil Bennett in 13 games has almost as many 30 point losses as Mike Cavan accumulated in 5 years. In fact at this pace he will easily outpace the ever "competitive" Tom Rossley with his record 11 30 point losses-in fact Rossley was so "competitive" that he lost to Baylor by over 34 points an unbelievable FOUR TIMES including 42, 42, 41, and 34. Mike Cavan just like Tom Rossley and Phil Bennett are NOT the reason we have been pathetic. But Losers need scapegoats for easy answers.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Juice » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:48 pm

I think the current (i.e. past year plus Tech this year) downturn is function of the newness of the system. I understand that Cavan didn't lose as badly as it seems we have lately, but Cavan also didn't put up the W's like I think Bennett can in the future.

But, the debate is a solid one. Would you rather have Cavan winning 4-6 games a year? Or would you rather deal with 2-3 years of 3-4 wins for the potential to eventually surpass the 6-win mark of Cavan?

I pick the potential, at least it gives hope.
Juice
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:20 pm

wasn't Cavan's best year his 1st year? I don't buy the "newness" of the system argument. Sometimes a change can be a shot in the arm. It hasn't worked out that way for Bennett and his staff. The difference in Bennett vs the last several coaches is that he appears to be a salesman...and it will take a very good salesman to convince high caliber recruits that SMU can and will win championships in the future. It's a pretty tough sell when a kid sees only 10,000 fans show up and SMU gets buried week after week. I'm very impressed by the start Bennett has gotten off to (with recruiting..obviously not his W-L record) and he has me believing he will be the guy who might finally get the job done.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football