PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I was wondering......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I was wondering......

Postby i10pony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:59 pm

how many years is it really going to take to get a 7 win team out on the field. How much rope does the program have before it gets shut down? Lets say if we have 2 to 5 more seasons of losing football.Is there any reason to have football around? Maybe we should use the money we put in the program to make SMU the best academic university in Texas. I don't know just some thoughts I had. Later.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: I was wondering......

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:22 pm

God PonySnob is starting to recruiting SMU Fans to talk trash about the program!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:01 pm

What is wrong with fans wanting to know when we are going to be able to put a winning program on the field?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:09 pm

It's the way you go about and you know it. I can see right through you with your smug posts. You seriously act like a troll. Either that or you know NOTHING about football. You're ****ing annoying because you're asking the wrong questions. Offer some insight for god's sake.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:19 pm

I can assure you the program has plently of "rope". You're not going to shut down a program when you recently requested $60 million from a half dozen alums to build a new stadium. I'm sure that Jerry Ford got some assurances when he wrote his $20 million check.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:54 pm

I am sure every home game that Gerald Ford attends and he sees 10,000 people in the stands he says "what was I thinking?"
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stampede » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:58 pm

No....actually, PonySnub, we are wondering what you're thinking. Get a clue about football or find a Div. III program to follow.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby ponyte » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:13 pm

We need horses to have a winning program. Caven didn't leave many horses in the stable for Bennett (Smith did the same thing to Ron Meyer). That is not to say we don't have athletes, it is to say we don't enough athletes.

Recruiting horses and developing them takes time. It took Meyer 4 years. It will take Bennett time as well. We are better than we have been. We have a decent punter and it sounds like the placekicking is better. As decent place kicker over that last 15 years would have meant more wins. Bartel, for the poor game he had was still better than last year's opener. The O-line sounded stable. Our D needs more athletes but my guess is that we will not meet another team this year with the skill players that TTU has.

We have a long way to go and we need the patience to stay the course.
ponyte

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:45 pm

Look for a winning season in 2004, and look for competing for a WAC title in 2005...if Chris Phillips can take over, then 2006 we should be a Top30-40 program with a chance at a ranking.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Return to Football