PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Urgency

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Urgency

Postby i10pony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:04 pm

Do we need this kind of urgency? Here's an article about UH football.

<A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2075226" TARGET=_blank>http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2075226</A>
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Urgency

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:42 pm

The Coogs have shown us again that the right coach can come in and get immediate results. Yes, things are urgent for SMU. Maybe past the time for a true restoration.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby McAndless » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:51 pm

Art Briles may be the Division IA coach of the year this year. I know it's just one game, but interview his players (past and present) and you get the sense that they love him and will follow him anywhere. That kind of relationship, along with a new-school approach to football, will make him successful in Stephenville, Texas or for the Dallas Cowboys. This is football people, not rocket science. Hence, game day management and preparation are key ingredients, two things Bennett has yet to show he can do well.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:54 pm

Oh COME ON.

SMU's recruiting has been in the ****ter since the DP and Bennett still can't recruit partial qualifiers. If we could load up on JUCOs, then we could win right away too. Unfortunately, we have to do it the slow way. Houston has talent and certainly enough depth to whup Rice. Michigan will tear them apart and I see Texas Tech and Michigan as having about an equal level of talent.

Everyone take a deep breath. If you still feel like whining, take another one, hold it, and have a nice nap.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby i10pony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:45 pm

Michigan and Tech same talent? Michigan is a top ten team. Tech is top 35-45.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:17 pm

Bull****.

Tech could beat Michigan on a good day.
What the hell do rankings have to do with it?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby leadpony » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:42 pm

If you think That Texas Tech and Michigan are equal your nuts!

Michigan would use Tech as a practice squad. And don't take my word for it. The people the vote on the college football rankings (who know a lot more about it than we do) have Michigan as number 7 in the country. Not only is Tech unranked, but they didn't even recieve any points at all. Even Toledo received one point. So lets not be trying to make ourselves all warm and fuzzy inside by thinking that Tech is better than they are.

I have a ton of respect for Tech, and they certainly proved that they are better than we are, but lets not go trying to find a rational for everything that happens to the ponies this year. We are still trying to right the ship here. And frankly I am tired of everyone thinking that we are going to be going undefeated every year, and then trying to make the people that beat us seem better than they are.

Case in point, people saying last year that Navy almost upset Notre Dame, and that must make them almost as good as Notre Dame, and therefore our loss to them wasn't that bad. Come on.

People have to realize that it is going to take us a while to get there. And we have just a good a chance on a Saturday afternoon, to beat just about anyone. But the fact of the matter is, that if we beat OSU at home, it is going to be an UPSET! That is when a team comes from nowhere and makes the most of the oppurtunites given to them and beats a team far better than they are. SMU is an underdog, but trying to make the teams that beat us are much better than they are, just to make us feel better is not the smart thing to do.
The smart thing to do is to keep playing those teams, and practice playing against teams better than us. And one afternoon, bite one in the [deleted]. It will happen, but if you keep taking like this it will be later on rather than sooner.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:43 pm

Note: Briles had the benefit of Dimel redhirting an entire class...unlike Bennett, where Cavan was playing incoming freshmen with regularity, and even playing new freshmen over last years freshmen that he just played... Hampton lost a year of eligibility because Cavan ran him on kickoff coverages...note the author not realizing that at least PART of Briles' success should be attributed to Dimel giving him 25 red shirts...

"Dimel definitely wasn't. He had a mañana mentality. Heck, two years ago, he redshirted his entire recruiting class, and the Cougars went 0-11. Briles will chart a slightly more accelerated course. He and Maggard are on the same page. By all accounts, they're reading the same sentence. "
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Return to Football