PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

intersting observations....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

intersting observations....

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:47 pm

- When you sit back in a zone, afraid to blitz because you don't want to give up the big play, and your line can't generate a pass rush, you will get picked apart. Our four couldn't beat their front five, and we got hammered because of it.

- That said, we didn't blitz a whole lot, leading me to think we didn't show a lot of wrinkles on defense?

- SMU would have scored more points without the mistakes (turnovers, dropped passes, penalties). Mistakes can be coached out. It is more encouraging than last year playing totally inept on offense. This game would have been viewed as one of the better offensive performances last year.

- Fitz is second on the depth chart, but doesn't play. Berry isn't on the depth chart, but starts. Whats up with that? How much did Karrington/Jones/Bonds actually play?

- I guess I get the feeling that after it was apparent that our D wasn't going to stop them, we decided not to show anything before the Baylor game...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: intersting observations....

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:04 pm

I agree Jason. Berry was a little undersized to be playing against Tech's O-line, I thought. Jones played some downs and got some pressure up the middle I do recall. Unsure about Bonds. Fitz should have been in the game. The reason you have two running backs is so that both get to rest. KK was in practically every down. I have a serious problem with Edmonson's playbook.

I'm not sure what was going towards the end there. They were still moving the ball against us with their backup QB, which was definitely not encouraging (were our first teamers still in?).

Bartel was just.. awful. What the hell was with the underhand and sidearm bull****?

I thought Tate Wallis was in there for a minute.

The defensive line looked shabby... UNDERSIZED to the nth degree. Speed is nice, but speed alone will not get you around a quick 310lb. o-lineman.

The LB's are something I'd have to see in person or on TV. Seems like Bischoff played well, but DD Johnson and DD Lee made plenty of mental errors more than twice.

I think Bennett is a good coach, but I'm still not content with his staff. It's like GW's administration. He's a good executive, but he has a staff that makes him look bad way too often. You can't hire your friends if your friends are incompetent.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football