PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Were you at the game?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Were you at the game?

Postby happydad » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sam:
<B>mickey please tell me what part of the game the coaches "did a great job" was it the defense that allowed 300 yds passing with no pressure on the Tech QB or was it the offense that kept our best receiver off the field. Oh no, I got it, it was the special teams that gave up almost 200 return yds that impressed you. happydad you are just clueless you must have a son that plays and this is what makes you happy, and I'm glad, but many of us on this board want a little ROI on our commitment</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could not be any more lost my friend...as you did not have the depth to understand my post, let me make it a little more simple- "Do not throw stones from glass houses, It is a little shallow to start complaining after the FIRST game of the great return. I am sure there are reasons that are none of our business, as to why he did not get "his entitled" playing time. Players hardly ever do exactly as told 100% of the time. I would take any bet that some of the "KEY" players made "BIG" mistakes.
happydad

Postby Mickey » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:51 pm

Sam, I will sum up what I said. The coaches had a good scheme on offense. We controlled the ball with 2X the amount of possession.

Special Teams- I said it sucked with the blocked punt, kick off returns and punt returns.

Defense- I said it was terrible because we have no pass rush.

I stand by what I said.
Mickey
All-American

Postby fbdad » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:53 pm

The team,as a whole, did not perform to the expectations of the coaches or themselves.They all realize this and will only improve from it.The screw ups on pass coverage,kick-off/punt return coverage,dropped balls and fumbles were all player problems,NOT coaching.The coaches should not have to be teaching 101 basics at this level anymore.Bennett did not treat this as a pre season game, he wanted us to win. He did very few substitutions looking to give first stringers max exposure to probably the toughest team they'll face all season.
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:17 pm

Geez, I kinda hate I even posted now. After coming back home and reading the post where people were talking about the team just upset me somewhat.
happydad - you can say what you want and even twist my words to make them what you want them to be but that does not make it so. I was not upset about playing time. I knew what to expect coming in.
Mickey - everyone made mistakes. You can take that also however you want.
I am a PonyFan and will continue to be.
Others Thanks!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:53 pm

Stallion, I think that Comet was switched to be the slot receiver during fall camp. He is the best receiver, and was switched to that position.

I think the though process was that we would be in a 3-wide set for the majority of the reps. However, with the ball control needs against tech, we went two wide a lot more than we will normally.

I expect that against Baylor we will see Chris out on the field a lot more.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:44 pm

Don't forget, and this is to stallions comments, that all 3 of our 'starting' WRs are 5'9ish...

They all would make great complimentary or 2nd WRs, but our top 3 are smallish...that's not to say that we cannot be productive, but it is certainly not ideal.

Jay Taylor was, again, wasted by CAVAN by burning a year of eligibility his first year and all he did was occasionally get in for some goal line fade routes... WHY??

He should have been redshirted and received better coaching. There's a reason that three 5'9" receivers are starting ahead of a 6'4" WR and probably now 3 true freshmen...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:49 pm

when Jay Taylor catches a pass then we might be able to judge that-right now he'd be lucky to get invited back for a 5th year because has produced nothing so far.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:24 am

Seriously, what has Jay Taylor contributed?

As for our "smallish" recievers, well what does height have to do with it? Tech's recievers were all small as well and they outplayed ours 100 fold. The problem is not height, it's talent. We don't have enough athletes at key positions. We're young, but the problem is, we're not going to get any better because we still aren't recruiting the athletes we need to be competitive at the level we all want.

Bennett is going to need to keep producing outstanding recruiting classes and then show us that he has the ability to mold these kids into real players.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:52 am

Not so fast my friend, TECH has a ton of small and a ton of TALL receivers...

1 Anton Paige Royal Palm Beach, FL (NW Mississippi JC) WR 6-4 201 Sr

86 Mickey Peters Weatherford, TX (Weatherford) WR 6-3 211 Jr

88 Jarrett Hicks Sharpstown, TX (Sharpstown) WR 6-3 194 Fr

14 Joel Filani Phoenix, AZ (Paradise Valley) WR 6-3 202 Fr

84 Jared Bell Plains, TX WR 6-2 200 Fr
22 Brad Bergfeld Tyler, TX (Lee) WR 6-0 160 Fr
21 Jason Choate Big Spring, TX (Big Spring) WR 6-1 200 So
17 Armon Dorrough Lancaster, TX (Lancaster) WR 6-1 164 So
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:07 am

Joyous: Enjoyed meeting you and your family this weekend. Chris played well. I'm sure he'll get even better as the season progresses. GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Joyous » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:37 pm

Ditto!
See you in Waco.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:57 pm

Joyous I looked for you and Mr C but couldn't find you. Hope to see you in Waco.
Nacho

Postby Raider Red » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>Not so fast my friend, TECH has a ton of small and a ton of TALL receivers...

1 Anton Paige Royal Palm Beach, FL (NW Mississippi JC) WR 6-4 201 Sr

86 Mickey Peters Weatherford, TX (Weatherford) WR 6-3 211 Jr

88 Jarrett Hicks Sharpstown, TX (Sharpstown) WR 6-3 194 Fr

14 Joel Filani Phoenix, AZ (Paradise Valley) WR 6-3 202 Fr

84 Jared Bell Plains, TX WR 6-2 200 Fr
22 Brad Bergfeld Tyler, TX (Lee) WR 6-0 160 Fr
21 Jason Choate Big Spring, TX (Big Spring) WR 6-1 200 So
17 Armon Dorrough Lancaster, TX (Lancaster) WR 6-1 164 So </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anton was a senior last year, and of the guys you listed, only Mickey Peters gets any significant playing time.

When it comes to receiving, speed is much more important than size.
Raider Red

Postby Joyous » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:23 pm

Nacho,
Looked for you also. Saw your son but not you. Maybe we can touch base before Waco.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby BornRed&Blue » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:36 am

the argument that our 5'9" WR aren't tall enough to do the job, doesn't hold water . . . Wes Welker, Tech's WR who WAXED us by the end of the game, and leads the nation in punt returns, is listed in the program as 5'9", BUT we ran into him at breakfast Sunday morning, and he looks my 5'7 daughter right in the eyes ! "little" guys could be very valuable to SMU with the right talent and coaching.
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football