PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TT O-Line Splits

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TT O-Line Splits

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:18 pm

it may have been I noticed it more because SMU fans were seated in the endzone but did any one else notice those incredible Offensive line splits that Tech used on certain occassions. It looked like they had 2-2.5 yards splits on some passing downs. Add in the 4 receivers and it really appears to be similar to a "fast break" in basketball. Then they send that great little midget Taureen Henderson behind that massive offensive line and really there are very few SMU players that even have a chance to reach him even him they could tackle him. There are only about 3 SMU players lined up within 8 yards of the center of the field in that situation. Henderson only carried the ball about 5 times but he was very effective. This is where you are put at a severe disadvantage by recruiting a kid who is a tick or two slow no matter how great a technique he uses and no matter how hard he plays. That offense is a tough-son-of-gun-to stop.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-01-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TT O-Line Splits

Postby buspen » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:35 pm

Those splits are classic Leach, he has done it for years. He speads the defense and looks for holes either by pass or run, compliment that with excess speed and they score alot.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:41 pm

During the radio broadcast, the announcers made reference to it several times, and even went so far as to say they appeared to be as much as 4 yards apart at times. You would think that would leave you with a great opportunity to get to the quarterback, but I guess not.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:07 pm

I'll admit I don't have an offensive linemen mentality-but I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least 3-4 yards-it was incredible. Then shoot that scat-back Henderson and I really felt sorry for whoever is assigned to catch him. Its a huge advantage unless your LBs run a 4.5.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-01-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:05 am

I may be slow, but someone who was there help me with this. If Tech's OL was spread that much, why weren't our supposedly small but quick DL shooting those gaps and wreaking havoc in Tech's backfield. Reportedly, Symon had all day to throw. Did we just not make the adjustments, or was it that much of a physical mismatch?
Charleston Pony

Postby Waters » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:54 am

It is just good O-Line play.
Waters

Postby buspen » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:24 pm

Good O-line play and we only rushed three most of the night.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Return to Football