PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cavan Left Cupboard Bare Talk

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cavan Left Cupboard Bare Talk

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:05 pm

...Think I'm going to have to nip that excuse in the bud-the fact is the cupboard has NEVER been even remotely full-the talent here right now is roughly equal to or better than the talent other coaches have had to work with. BTW Cavan recruits start at 20 of 22 positions on the field and Bennett recruits haven't exactly reached sudden stardom. In fact, there is no outstanding starter from a Bennett class. The only Bennett recruits who start are Rolando Humphrey who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and whoever starts at DT out of default not by earning it. There are 7 Cavan recruits who have some type of All-WAC postseason or preseason recognition-Cunningham, Kincade, Reindel, Stansbury, Rutledge, Adami, and Bishoff. Add in a very talented QB prospect in Bartel, a pro prospect in Sterling Harris and other multi-year starters and I don't think its fair to claim the Cupboard is bare in comparison to previous years. The talent is thin but what SMU team hasn't been. Its time for some of Bennett's recruits to step up and make a contribution whether they be Freshmen or Sophmores.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cavan Left Cupboard Bare Talk

Postby Under the Lights » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:27 pm

As far as Bennett recruits currently starting, I can offer the following corrections:

During Bennett's initial recruiting year there were only 5 uncommited scholarships available, i.e., post Cavan departure. Those scholarships were given to the following players:

Justin Rogers (a backup in the current defensive end rotation with a big future), Brent Karrington (a backup/starter this season), Ryan Mentzel (starting punter for 2 years - doing an excellent job), Grant Eidson (starting deep snapper as Freshman and started at right guard and snapper against Texas Tech and did a great job), Rolando Humphrey (2nd year as a starter/partial starter)

Freshman Charlie Berry was a starting defensive tackle against Tech.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:31 pm

... that's incorrect-add in Fitzgerald, Hodges, Elliot, Daniel Francis, Ryan Kennedy, Chris Urbanas, Kelvin Cox, and Jamey Harper. I really can't recall whether Jamar Bey and Mike Benson were Cavan or Bennett recruits. Berry, Karrington and Eidson either started or are partial starters because of injury or default. SMU signed 25 players in Bennett's first class-Cavan in the first year he had the benefit of the modified recruiting rules had 13-14 commitments when he was fired in November-SMU lost a TE who recmmitted to K-State, a defensive lineman who recommitted to Arizona St, a DT who recommitted to Tulsa and I think another kid as well who I can't recall.
Anthony Barnett and Darrin Johnson first committed to SMU-decommitted when Cavan was fired and recommitted to Bennett so you might want to include them at least as partly Bennett commitments.
[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-01-2003).]

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Under the Lights » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:54 pm

you seem to like to use the word default alot . . . perhaps you're a default. You don't seem to know the difference between a real player and a pom pom girl. And again, Bennett had 5 uncommited scholarships available when he entered the scene following Cavan's departure.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby sam » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:12 pm

UTL, you are way off base Stallion is right. These players you named save Mentzel only have the job by default. Eidson started because Townsend was hurt when he gets back you will not see Eidson on the field and after that display of deep snapping he probably will not to that either. Ro starts but should not he is over his head.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:04 pm

If you look further, pretty much the guys who are starting are state or area 100s...most of which cavan recruited.

no doubt cavan didn't leave it bare, however, you cannot compare who is starting now vs. bennett's recruits -- bennett really only has one class, plus fitzgerald and wallis (and a few others that he convinced to stay committed (D. Johnson) - even though some he might not have wanted, he had to accept all of cavan's recruits in order to secure the ones he DID want).
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:36 pm

OK. Caven didn't leave the cupboard bare. There is half pound of fatback and a little sugar. I know he wasn't allowed to truly recruit due to our insane wish to punish ourselves for eternity with recruiting restriction. He did the best he could and we do have some athletes and we are doing the best we can. That said, we don't have the horses to really compete. Bennett may not be the idea gamesman coach for some but his real task is to recruit. If we can get the players, the wins will come.
ponyte

Postby Under the Lights » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:45 pm

Sam you are proof that the Indian did breed with the buffalo. I'll bet you've never played one down of football except in the backyard with your little sisters.

I'll bet that the starting 5 offensive line for the Baylor game will be Kieschnick, Eidson, Reindl, Harris, and Hargis. Forget injuries, etc., these are the 5 best offensive linemen on the team.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby Juice » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:30 pm

Stallion, have you actually watched Sterling Harris play? Yes, he has pro-size, but his techinque is horrible and he can barely compete in the WAC. I don't know what pro teams you watch, but Harris is not pro material.
Juice
Scout Team

Postby Under the Lights » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:46 pm

Well stated Juice. Sterling is a pro prospect only in his mind. He's never made the commitment to really get after it and use his size as a weapon, but he's still one of our top 5 offensive linemen. Until we see Urbanas and others step forward we're stuck with him.

Bear Bryant was right. "Bigness is in the heart."
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby sam » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:05 pm

UTL,I played all the way through college and coached for 13yrs including 8yrs of college ball. I go to every game even though I live in Florida. I have not missed a game in 7 years,Hawaii was beautiful last year,how well did you enjoy it.And you, do you know how to strap on a jock.
I have no vested interest here,I can tell that you must have a son that plays and from your comments he must play OL,you have gotten your feelings hurt and for that I'm sorry.But from my viewpoint Harris played real well and so did Reindl at center,Edison got trucked to many times and when Tech lined up in the 9 technique they blew pass Oneal, Kieschnick was just Ok
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby Mickey » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:19 pm

Sam, Great response to UTL. Another nerd that has never played, but knows it all. Bravo!
Mickey
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:31 pm

Thanks for the post Sam Image. How did Darrin do in reserve to Oneal?

I am hoping for big things from Kieschnick in the future. Hopefully he can grow a bit more and be able to stand up against the big boys. I thought Hargis was a big loss going into the game, and it sounds like Edison didn't do that well...
JasonB

Postby Under the Lights » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:58 pm

just check my prediction for the starting OL lineup for the Baylor game. let's see who knows football.

By the way, you may want to get out of the florida sun, I think it's warped your thinking.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:02 am

Hargis is our best lineman.

Will he back for Baylor?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football