PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Amazing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Amazing

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:01 am

It is truly amazing that this board has deteriorated into calling for Bennett's job and questioning his recruiting vs. Cavan. Bennett has done a wonderful job in recruiting and everyone is just disappointed in the loss. TT is a very good club. We aren't near that level in talent yet. We have a good chance against Baylor but the talent level is probably a little higher even at Baylor. Hopefully, they will be 0-2 and down when we play them. We get a lot of talk about getting out of the WAC because it is a crummy conference. We can not yet compete in the WAC. We will probably win 5 this year (that means we must beat Baylor) and 6 would be great. Why not try to give Bennett some support by writing Turner and going to games? Football players have to learn to forget a loss and strap it on again. If they got as down on themselves as you guys, we would go 0'fer. We have a young team (49 frosh) and a QB who has had 1 big game against LaTech. I think Bartel is OK but many of you fooled yourselves that he is a great player when he QB'd victories over the worst teams in college football. We would have probably won those games with Wallis too. Maybe Bartel will improve into a good QB. Your expectations are too high for this group. Look for improvement but don't berate the players and coaches when they lose. Keep the faith. I think this team will overachieve.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Amazing

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:21 am

Bartel has great talent. I'm sorry you can't see it. This team is going to be okay. Like I have said many times before by Bartel's senior year this is going to be a good team. I don't know how they will do this year but I still think around 500 is not out of the question.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:23 am

And BTW we had the best non-BCS recruiting class in the nation last year. Give Bennett a chance to build.
Nacho

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:24 am

Agreed. This is rediculous considering it's one game.

If we are 0-7 again and never competitive, you MIGHT have an issue with Bennett, but I think he prefaced the season properly when he pointed out that 41 scholarships on this team are FRESH/RS-FRESH. This team will inherently get better as the playing time increases for all of the starters. Let's remember, and although I was hoping Tech wouldn't GEL under Symons, let's remember that this team is one that hung 48 on the 'Wrecking Crew' and also beat TEXAS (currently ranked #5 in the NATION).

SO they were bound to score a lot, and we just cannot compete with that scoring yet.

Bartel has played in 5 total college games, period (plus a few plays in one that he was injured early last year).
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:30 am

Thanks OP - voice of reason. I only have one thing I disagree with you about - we don't want Baylor to be 0-2 going into our game - I am pulling for them vs UNT - they would be highly desperate and playing us at home when they are 0-2 would not be good in my opinion.
gostangs

Postby wilthestilt » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:32 am

Face the facts, the best part of the football season for Mustang fans (including myself) for the past 20 years has been before the first game is played. I am disappointed because they didn't look good while losing. Until they become more competitive with the big dogs fans should stay on the porch. Still hoping 4-5 game win season.
wilthestilt

Postby ponyte » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:07 pm

We are making progress. When was the last time we had a long drive against a quality opponent and ended with points? Saturday night. Prior to that, it was a given that we could not sustain a drive and get points against a good defense.

Our kicker made a long field goal (ah, I remember the days went we couldn't kick a 25 yard field goal). And late in the game we put a TD on the board. We have improved. We still have a long way to go but we are making progress. We must be patient and allow Bennett time to build a credible program.
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:17 pm

Great sentiments Ponyte. We lost to a solid team at their place. I think Baylor may still be a tough win, their OL is larger than our DL by a big margin. Without QB pressure, it could be tough game for us. They will be hungry if they are 0-2 and looking to get a win against an opponent that they will think they can beat. I would prefer if they were to eak out a win against NTSU so they would have a small bit of overconfidence. We will have to play a near perfect game to beat them. I think we can do so, but it will be no walk in the park.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wilthestilt:
<B>Until they become more competitive with the big dogs fans should stay on the porch.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is just WRONG! It's that kind of attitude that just sickens me. You're a fair weather fan.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:47 pm

Amen, MrMustang. I think the actual expression is, "If you cain't hunt with the big dogs, git up on the porch with the pups." True fans don't sit on the porch. The "porch" is indeed the appropriate place for a fair-weather fan on gameday.

Mrs. KnuckleStang and I will still be down for the Rice game this year whether we are 9-1, 3-7, or 0-10.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:16 pm

Nacho- I think Bartel will be a fine QB. He isn't there yet. I'm simply pointing out that the wins came against very poor teams with the exception of LA Tech. I hope Bartel is the great one you think. So far, he has performed on the same level as his teammmates. He got a little panicky against Tech but seasoning will improve that as it will many of his teammates performance. I really was saying to others to get off the backs of these kids and give them a chance to grow withought tearing them down and calling for Bennett's head with each loss. No one (other than players) in their right mind expected a win Saturday. TT is a very good team and I think they'll end up Top 20 or so. Our team can not expect to win or play close if the opponents get a big lead. We are not a good passing team. The strenth of this team is running the ball. The better we run, the better we'll pass and play D. Our defense needs to be on the field as little as possible. I hope to see the D improve and the passing game as the year goes on. The Mustangs are coming back but we must be patient for a couple of years while these guys mature.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B> That is just WRONG! It's that kind of attitude that just sickens me. You're a fair weather fan.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right - if you can't support a team when they're in the growing/building process, do you deserve to enjoy the ride when the team is winning? The Mustangs need support from ALL of us!

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:02 pm

Bartel has played in 5 games against some pretty bad teams. Even some of the best QB's in the league weren't putting up gaudy numbers until their junior and senior years. Bartel has the talent.. it's between him and Edmondon now. If he plays solidly enough this year and continues to improve, he may be a 4 year starter and a very potent QB by his senior year.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football