PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Building a base!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Building a base!

Postby geephunk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:15 pm

Yes, Saturday sucked. I know it must have been [deleted] fans who went to Lubbock. It was really bad on the radio.

However, this is how I see it. Tech is underrated, so we learn from our mistakes and get our feet wet.

Baylor would be a great win and it will give us experience regardless.

Oklahoma State, tough as hell, but again...experience.

This should be a good dose of top competition to really be competitive in the WAC. Hopefully, getting our egos bruised early in the season will pay big dividends later against TCU (no doubt we will be more competitive!)

If you look at our schedule, there are potentially 5 bowl teams in 2003 (TT, OK STATE, TCU, FRESNO STATE, and BOISE STATE). If we can take one of those and win the rest, RODDOG can kiss my a**!)
geephunk
Scout Team

Re: Building a base!

Postby Peruna88 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by geephunk:
[B]I know it must have been [deleted] fans who went to Lubbock. It was really bad on the radio</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, having to listen to Rich Phillips for three hours is pure radio anthrax. I'm glad I was in Lubbock so I didn't have to listen.
Peruna88
All-American

Postby geephunk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 pm

What is everyone else's take?

Will games against Big XII opponents prepare us for success in the WAC?
geephunk
Scout Team

Postby geephunk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:50 pm

As you all know, it is hard to believe that SMU hasn't pulled off an upset for a while. I just think that on any given night, we the stars are all aligned, that SMU could and should be able to pull off an upset.

Living in the land LaVell built, it is hard to believe that a team like BYU is able to compete year in and year out. I have lived here the past 8 years and have known many of the players personally (and some coaches for that matter) and it constantly amazes me! Good ol boys from farming town in southern Utah and Idaho continue to come to Provo and help the team win.

I would think that even the "middle of the pack" Texas players would be better than the line up BYU puts out every year.

And yes they have had impact players (in recent years Brandon Domain, Lute Staley, Ryan Denney, Reno Mahe, etc.) but they were all impact players later in their career, grown and nurtured over their time at BYU. By the way, only one of those players went on an LDS mission.

Anyway, I just hope for a competitive season and I wish I could blow a couple thousand bucks this December getting plane, hotel, and bowl accomodations for the ponies!
geephunk
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:59 pm

Patience grasshoppers. This team is not being built game by game but rather year by year. SMU has always been able to recruit excellent talent. They just need more of it. The more players that can redshirt while other underclassmen are gaining experience, the better it will be. We apparently will not, as has been discussed often on this board, go for the quick fix with JC players. That means you have to build slowly and patiently. I can see it happening if everyone will just accept the fact that even if we had been competitive with TT up to the 4th quarter, depth, or lack of it would probably have beaten us anyway. Realize that even the lowest Big 12 or SEC or other BCS team attracts recruits easier and plays at a consistently higher level than do we. That is what impresses me with Bennett. He is building for the future. Which reminds me of the old Bear Bryant promise when he went to coach at either A&M or Alabama (someone please find the exact words)......

The first year I will be competitive, the second year over .500, the 3rd year conference champions and the 4th year national champions...when asked about the 5th year he said "we will be on probation of course."

Please just have faith in Bennett to build the program (cleanly we assume), and the rest will come. And do not even begin to think that Baylor will be a push over. The chance is there, but the probability is not.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:01 pm

I'm afraid that's true. I'm hoping to watch our Ponies smack the Bears around next week, but they are still bigger than we are, and they do face Big 12 competition every year. Their record stinks every year, but it will be a tough game. Winnable, but tough.

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:48 am

We need a solid WIN on SEPT 13th...two weeks to prepare, and get us over this hump...then lets TRY against OSU, and then beat NEV... 2-2 going into OCT and we will be looking good.

1-3 is ok as well, but we need to win all of the favored games and squeak a few more
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby WreckEm16 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:18 pm

You can beat OSU. Few teams are as overrated as the Pokes this year, and it will be your home opener.

Jump up on them early, and watch them fall apart. I will be rooting extra hard for you!

------------------
And when I die
You can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas,
In my jeans.

-Mac Davis
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:00 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, WreckEm, but I think OSU had a serious off-day at Nebraska Saturday. They're so talented they're almost scary. You guys hung 58 on us....
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby WreckEm16 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:06 pm

HA - nothing to worry about. OSU was bad on Saturday, but Nebraska wasn't exactly playing lights out either. It was a classic case of "May the worse team lose."

I guarantee we stomp the Pokes in Stillwater this year (just like we did in Lubbock last year, and Stillwater the year before...). SMU will make it a much better game than many Mustangs realize.

------------------
And when I die
You can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas,
In my jeans.

-Mac Davis
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:08 am

Damn right!
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Football