PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greenbackers Welcome SMU'ers 2 Fouts/We'll Talk Turning The Damn Thing Around With Ya

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Greenbackers Welcome SMU'ers 2 Fouts/We'll Talk Turning The Damn Thing Around With Ya

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:08 pm

Come on all you Mustangers, leave Lubbock behind in the red west Texas dust where it belongs! It's history! Yall will be good again soon enough (now that is coming from a most un-biased bystander, mind you)! Image Hell, we lost our last one with TTech ourselves. I'm was tired of seeing all that black and red to be honest! Image

Seriously....we Mean Greeners want to meet many of Mustangs alums/fans on this board and beyond at our new revised version of Fout Field with our new million dollar Daktronics scoreboard/video screen which makes its debut and...

...when is the last time you visited a stadium where the scoreboard was worth more than the stadium!?! Image (Of course, if you come, and look across Denton's version of Stemmons Fwy. west of the Radisson across from Fouts, you'll see a whole bunch of bulldozers starting the first part of our own Big Project to eventually make venerable Fouts Field a forgotten memory.

Seriously, I know I've heard Coach Fry in year's past say how many great friends he had (and still has) at SMU. Many of you know it was just (basically) a small committee who chose not to renew his contract with him in the first place. But like the old song, that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone.

I know you all have your own special plans to honor Coach Fry at Ford in November, but knowing Hayden Fry, he would be tickled "red and blue" to see just that, a whole lot of SMU Red and Blue at Fouts this Saturday evening, too. Heck, if nothing else, come help your SMU football coaches scout the Bears as you know they will be there full force this Saturday evening in preparation for yalls game with Baylor the next week in Waco.

Some of you have never been to Denton or at least its been a while (alright now, cut the wise cracks I can hear coming on that one) Image BUT I have driven from Dallas' LBJ @ I35-E to the Denton city limits sign in 35 minutes. Guess that sorta' tells you we are not exactly in Southern Oklahoma, eh?

'STANGS INVITATION TO: A pre-game BBQ (hell, its free) behind the east stadium by the football practice field--easy to find. Please do wear you SMU gear. Coach Fry is supposed to come by and visit all of us from Baylor, UNT and hopefully many of you SMU'ers from this board who will be in that one general tailgate area behind the east side of Fouts. All you have to bring is your love for intercollegiate football and an empty stomach. We'll provide the rest!

Game starts at 7:00 pm, but you'll see lots of green/gold and green/white 2-3 hours before the kick-off. Expecting 25-30,000 so as they say: Come Early--Stay Late.

Truly, Coach Fry and our group would love to have yall come out for this special evening/especially all of you from PonyFans.com and that other SMU board! Image

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 09-02-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Re: Greenbackers Welcome SMU'ers 2 Fouts/We'll Talk Turning The Damn Thing Around With Ya

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:58 pm

Hope you beat the hell out of Baylor - on the scoreboard and in the morale department. I'm headed to Waco next week, and I look forward to seeing my Ponies hand BU its THIRD STRAIGHT loss of the year.

Re: Greenbackers Welcome SMU'ers 2 Fouts/We'll Talk Turning The Damn Thing Around With Ya

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Horseplay:
<B>Hope you beat the hell out of Baylor - on the scoreboard and in the morale department. I'm headed to Waco next week, and I look forward to seeing my Ponies hand BU its THIRD STRAIGHT loss of the year.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Horseplay, thanks for the encouragement and we will do our best to oblige your wishes! (I am from Brazoria County down there near the Bayou City, originally, although I have lived in the Metroplex for years now).
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:09 am

If I hadn't spent my $$$ in Lubbock, I'd be there! Gotta save my $$$ for Waco in two weeks! If I get a windfall from somewhere, I'll be there! Let's see Baylor get beat by UNT, SMU and then my alma mater, Sam Houston State (Div.1-AA)!!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 09-02-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:25 am

Come on now, MrMustang1965, we are going to take care of the food portion for ya'! If you come, let us know you are MrMustang1965, some of us have our monikers on the back of our GoMeanGreen.com shirts.

We really are one friendly group, just ask the TCU gang (and Frog trainers) who came to our BBQ 2 years ago, they'd tell you no smack going on with us (that's just for these boards, you know)? We're just college football fans who talk college football, that's all. Image

A Bearkat turned Mustang, eh? Did you get a post grad degree from SMU or are you just a Mustang convert? Come Early--Stay Late!

Anyway, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>If I hadn't spent my $$$ in Lubbock, I'd be there! Gotta save my $$$ for Waco in two weeks! If I get a windfall from somewhere, I'll be there! Let's see Baylor get beat by UNT, SMU and then my alma mater, Sam Houston State (Div.1-AA)!!!!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 09-03-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:35 am

No offense MeanGreen, but I hope Baylor wins. I want them fat, dumb and happy when they play us the following week. Otherwise, I'd be pulling for you.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:41 pm

EastStang, I understand your reasoning perfectly well. Actually, though, I hope both SMU and UNT put the Bears back in the woods to do what Bears do best in the woods!

BTW EastStang, come on now, bring your appetite this Saturday and, come early/stay late! Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>No offense MeanGreen, but I hope Baylor wins. I want them fat, dumb and happy when they play us the following week. Otherwise, I'd be pulling for you.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:22 pm

I'm saving my plane trip to Dallas for a SMU home game. Eat double for me.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MeanGreenGem:
<B>Come on now, MrMustang1965, we are going to take care of the food portion for ya'! If you come, let us know you are MrMustang1965, some of us have our monikers on the back of our GoMeanGreen.com shirts.

We really are one friendly group, just ask the TCU gang (and Frog trainers) who came to our BBQ 2 years ago, they'd tell you no smack going on with us (that's just for these boards, you know)? We're just college football fans who talk college football, that's all. Image

A Bearkat turned Mustang, eh? Did you get a post grad degree from SMU or are you just a Mustang convert? Come Early--Stay Late!

Anyway,

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 09-03-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without going into too much detail, I was RAISED a Mustang by my parents who are both Mustangs. However, I went to SHSU. But I've never turned my back on the Mustangs! Since I'm in Houston, I doubt I'll make it to Denton after the loooooooong weekend in Lubbock. So eat some ribs for me and quaff a few brews, too! GO MUSTANGS! GO EAGLES! GO BEARKATS! (Had to get that one in for my alma mater that plays Baylor on Sept. 20 in Waco)

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MeanGreenGem » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:26 pm

I'll eat triple for both you and MrMustang1965, EastStang! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>I'm saving my plane trip to Dallas for a SMU home game. Eat double for me.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby The CPC » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:43 pm

Well, if the rest of you cant make it, CPC will just have to cruise by Denton and represent for the rest of the Maniacs while UNT honors Coach Fry. How does someone finds this barbecue you mentioned?
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby MeanGreenGem » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The CPC:
<B>Well, if the rest of you cant make it, CPC will just have to cruise by Denton and represent for the rest of the Maniacs while UNT honors Coach Fry. How does someone finds this barbecue you mentioned?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, The CPC, about not getting back to you in a timely manner to give you that information on the BBQ...Did you make it to the game?

I've been away from the computer most of the weekend. I am just getting back to normal on this Sunday afternoon after last night's events at Fouts Field. Did a little too much celebrating on Fry Street.

Saw many, many SMU'ers in different parts of the tailgate areas at the east Fouts Field parking lots and practice fields. All (of course) were wearing their SMU red and blue. I saw Coach Fry talking to several of your fellow Mustangers as he did come out to the tailgaters and pressed the flesh which is something you all know he could do so well! Image

It makes me feel old to see Coach Fry in his mid 70's, but he is still same ol' enthusaistic Coach Fry! George Dunham and gang produced a very nice video vignette of Coach Fry in his younger days which was shown on our new Daktronics and it almost brought tears to my eyes gol' darn it! So fitting that he and the great Jerry Levias will go in together to the College Football Hall of Fame.

OK, SMU, just do it in Waco! Go 'Stangs!

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 09-07-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Return to Football