PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Missed the game, what was the main cause?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Missed the game, what was the main cause?

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:33 am

Just reading the DMN clip it sounds like mistakes and Kincade only got his usual 3 and a fraction yards per.

What about those that saw or listened? Beyond the mistakes what did the team look like? Progress anywhere?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Missed the game, what was the main cause?

Postby roddog » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:57 pm

i listened to the game on the radio, according to the ticket announcers, the cause of the loss was the big 12 officials
roddog

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by roddog:
<B>i listened to the game on the radio, according to the ticket announcers, the cause of the loss was the big 12 officials</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must have been one helluva radio since your other post said you were on the Mediterranean Sea! Image Marconi would be proud.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby geephunk » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:01 pm

Exactly! Roddog is a major tool!
geephunk
Scout Team

Postby roddog » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:31 pm

its called gps, it works even outside of dallas for those of you who never leave the city
roddog

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:31 pm

A tool perhaps - but anyone that blames a 58-10 loss on the refs runs the risk of complete and total ridicule. Lets at least make them close before we start whining about refs.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:40 pm

GPS, last time I checked didn't have radio broadcasts. That's a new one Roddog. I only use mine to figure out where the next rest stop is. Lubbock is one big rest stop.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:12 pm

They had bigger, faster, better players. Other than that it was the refs.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby WreckEm16 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:12 pm

<nm>

------------------
And when I die
You can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas,
In my jeans.

-Mac Davis

[This message has been edited by WreckEm16 (edited 09-03-2003).]
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Reading the ponyfans story it sounds like QB mistakes aided by lack of experienced depth on the OL not giving the QB time. But what about the defense and special teams. Sounds like some big plays there.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby 78pony » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:10 pm

Having endured the pagentry that is Lubbock, let me note for those who could not make it that Jones SBC stadium is really a site to see - the WEST side of the stadium that is. Beautiful job - although I have no idea how they could have spent that much $$$ for a new press box/club/suites and the other various improvements throughout. That being said, on to the game.

The 'snowball' effect has been particularly unkind to us over the past decade or so. A mistake, turnover, bad break and its off to the races again.

The officiating, Keylon's fumble in the 1st Q, our lack of depth and our very young players aside, you still have to line up and give it your all each and every play. Tech has this concept down. Likely a result of Big 12 competition, they still understand the assignment and what it takes. In the instance of most - over half - of our players, the concept is partially if not fully understood. It is the gents who still have not grasped this requirement that hurt us at TTech and will continue to do so in the future. By the way, I also include several assistant coaches smack in the middle of this characterization.

I could mention a dozen things about reacting and adjusting during the course of the game, but it would be wasted word processing. I could mention the fact that 3 gents behind me wanted to bet a dozen times on which play we would call next (they were right on all but 2). I could mention the fact that TTech would show a particular defensive look and true to form, you could name the backer that was going to ring Richard's bell. A slightly different shift and you could tell the stunt they were going to bring.

On the other side of the ball...it appeared as if we wanted to stay with the bend/don't break/keep it in FRONT of you game plan for 60 minutes. Even though we were bent over backwards, broken, and having to watch the clinic their receivers were staging.

My take on the outing is simple. The players will get better as the season passes. There is some talent on the field, and more to come. We have LB's sitting on the sidelines that can play now - athletically. This will be a much better team by the end of the year. Phil Bennett will be a better head coach by year's end.

My primary concern is in the assistant coach positions. I did not like what I saw Saturday night. On either side of the ball. Maybe the 1st game should be considered a tune-up for Gush & Edmondson? Maybe not. Time will tell, but I am concerned.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:44 pm

I didn't get to listen to all the game, but how many delay of game penalties were there? Seems like at least 2 in the brief time I was able to listen.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:10 pm

My concern is also the coordinators. The play calling is mediocre, always has been, and doesn't look like its gonna get any better. How are our kids supposed to showcase any talent they may have when their handicapped by the coordinators.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:22 pm

In as tactful and round-about way as possible, I voiced my concern re: coordinators last year directly to Phil. It was not warmly recieved, nor was it dismissed.

I do NOT think Phil is blind - with respect to loyalty.

However, I'm not sure that he won't stay with a friend longer than he should. I also have the history/privildege/luxury of having visited over a lunch or two with our coordinators and that left me feeling ...let's just say it was not a warm, confident & fuzzy glow.
78pony
Heisman

Return to Football