PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Line moves...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive Line moves...

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:45 pm

So, Keishcnick officially moves to left tackle. I thought he was considered a solid guard? Eidson takes over at right tackle, I thought he really struggled against Tech?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Offensive Line moves...

Postby INFINITYRR » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:22 pm

Edison is at guard

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/notebook/stories/090403dnspocoldate.3d2a6.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/notebook/stories/090403dnspocoldate.3d2a6.html</A>
INFINITYRR
Recruit

Postby INFINITYRR » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:24 pm

Eidson is at guard

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/notebook/stories/090403dnspocoldate.3d2a6.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/notebook/stories/090403dnspocoldate.3d2a6.html</A>
INFINITYRR
Recruit

Postby Under the Lights » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:28 pm

posted 09-01-2003 03:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll bet that the starting 5 offensive line for the Baylor game will be Kieschnick, Eidson, Reindl, Harris, and Hargis. Forget injuries, etc., these are the 5 best offensive linemen on the team.

Just a reminder that the above was my post from Monday, September 1, 2003.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:48 pm

I remember you initially posting that. So Keichnick will get the majority of LT snaps, or is he just a third of an equal rotation?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Under the Lights » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:54 pm

LT = Kieschnick
LG = Eidson
C = Reindl
RG = Hargis
RT = Harris

DJ is a development project at LT - depending on his learning curve he could end up being the full time starter at LT later this year. Unfortunately, I don't think that Eric Neal has developed as fast as had been hoped . . . Kieschnick has the height/ quickness of feet & hands to protect the backside of the QB. He also has a good initial pop on running plays
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:45 pm

I agree UTL.. I trust your judgements as well as you've stated your background on here before.

What do you think of DJ?
And is Eidson going to keep getting knocked flat on his back or do you think he has the skills and just needs some more size?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Under the Lights » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:37 pm

DJ has the potential to be an awesome player, but patience will be required.

As for Edison, I heard that he was the highest grading offensive lineman for SMU in the Tech game. He must be doing something right. Sounds like he's staking his claim on a starting position.

Also noted that another Highland Park kid, DT Charlie Berry, made his first start on Saturday against Tech. Don't know what happened to Karrington - I guess Charlie is just better.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:55 pm

Aren't those the same moves "Horseshoe" reported Wednesday?

I do, by the way, disagree with the comment about the five OL starters projected in previous posts being the "best." Perhaps it's a matter of definition, and there's a gray area when you put polished technique up against size and strength and potential and overall ability to get the job done. But even as raw as he is, I'd say Darrin Johnson has to start getting a majority of the snaps at left tackle, and soon. I don't like the move of Kieschnick to left tackle - he's a very good guard. And while you need a strong left tackle to keep Bartel in one piece, I think taking Kieschnick away from the left guard spot weakens the line. He was a real force there. Hopefully, once Johnson takes over the left tackle position for good, Kieschnick will go back to guard. Without mentioning the potential of the freshmen (who need to redshirt this year, in my opinion), my list of the five best OLs would be (left to right) Johnson, Kieschnick, Reindl, Hargis and Harris.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby Mickey » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:58 pm

I was at TT, and I thought Eidson struggled with the size of the TT DL. Despite what the program says, he is only 5-10, and he looks it when he is on the field. He must be the shortest OL in D1,and if we are starting linemen this small it is indicative of how far we have fallen. I don't care how good his technique is, he needs some size and as short as he is, he can't carry gain a lot more lbs.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Under the Lights » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:23 pm

Evidently the SMU coaches don't agree with you Mikey
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:14 pm

Although a DT, UNT's Brandon Kennedy is 5'10" and is a preseason all-american.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mickey » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Under the Lights:
<B>Evidently the SMU coaches don't agree with you Mikey</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe they do. Maybe the problem is that he is one a starting OL and that is why we got beat 58-10. I will bet that no other Big 12 team recruited him and that is why we cant compete with Big 12 teams. I am not saying he shoudn't start at SMU. I am saying that 5-10 OL dont play at the good programs, but thay start at SMU. Goes back to what Stallion says, you have to recruit and compete on a level playing field. We are a WAC team!
Mickey
All-American

Postby Under the Lights » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:32 am

Mikey,

Why are you picking on one kid who has done nothing but contribute since he went to SMU. Perhaps you should focus your anger on the "pear assed" Cavanites that took the program into the ground.

6' 1" 283 lbs. and the highest grading offensive lineman from the Texas Tech game.
In the words of Jerry Jeff Walker . . . "sounds like a smooth combination."
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby giacfsp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 am

I think he's a fine player, and I'm glad to have him on my team. But of Eidson is 6-1, 283, then Richard Bartel is 6-9, 265. Eidson is really strong and works really hard, but he ain't that big.
giacfsp
Heisman

Next

Return to Football