PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Most unheralded Mustang you've seen in person

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Most unheralded Mustang you've seen in person

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 01, 2000 7:59 pm

For my money, Bill Keily was a machine at middle linebacker, and never got the pub given to a Chris Bordano, or even a Craig Swann.

Other entries?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Most unheralded Mustang you've seen in person

Postby Grider » Tue May 02, 2000 1:30 am

Chad Patton was one helluva a player who never got much respect. He did however make all SWC. Another one was Cary Brabham, the guy was good enough to play professional football(Raiders), and I saw him get at least one interception(maybe two, I can't exactly recall) in his blue-grey game, but he's never even mentioned on our board. how soon we forget.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby PonyExpress » Tue May 02, 2000 12:33 pm

Cary Brabham also played a year with the Carolina Panthers, I think, although he may have spent the year on the injured list.

When he was a rookie, trying to make the Raiders' roster, I had the opportunity to go into the locker room after a preason game in Dallas. I approaced Cary and asked how things were going, and all he said was that playing pro football made his body hurt in ways he'd never experienced. He looked completely exhausted (which is understandable, having just played a football game in Texas in August), but it paid off, since he made the team.

Good call on Chad Patton. The guy was like an early Luke Johnson - undersized DE who somehow got a bunch of sacks, and he also blocked some kicks. Great guy, too.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby Rayburn » Tue May 02, 2000 11:01 pm

I'll go along with Carey Brabham, he was a heck of a player.

I have a long list of SMU guys who didn't get the credit they deserved. One of them was fullback Dave Bostick back in the mid 70s. Another was CB Mickey Early.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU00 » Wed May 17, 2000 11:03 am

How about Jason Wolf? The all-time career leader in receptions in the history of the Southwest Conference never got the ink he deserved.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Return to Football