PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Scary

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Scary

Postby Lefty » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:33 pm

Anyone else nervous about the Baylor game? It sounds like they don't have the talent to beat a high school team. But you're also talking about kids who will be playing for their season Saturday - if they lose to us, who can they realistically hope to beat this season? They're going to "leave it all on the field," as coaches like to say. This game has ambush written all over it.
Lefty
All-American

Re: Scary

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:00 pm

That UNT blowout is the worst possible situation for us leading up to this game. Now they look at SMU as possibly their only chance for a win this year. I wish they had beaten UNT and saved a few of those 6 turnovers for us, cause we're going to need them. This will be one hostile team, and the Stangs better bring it Saturday, if we expect to win. The Mean Green (to their credit) have beaten us to the ambush, so get ready for a close game. It's a must win for both of us.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:06 pm

For SMU, more ambush potential than Navy last year. The Winner of this game may not get off the bottom 10 list, but the loser will stay there a long time.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:46 pm

I hope Baylor is up and plays it heart out. We need to face the best possible competition. We will never improve playing poor teams on their off days.

Also, we know that Baylor will be playing hard. tht hopefully will prevent any let down by our team.

I want to play the best and beat the best. I look forward to a good game next sat. and a good SMU win.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:43 am

I'm tired of playing the best - I want some cheap, meaningless wins, so that our program can build some mo, and then we can play the best in front of excited crowds of our fans - instead of becoming 10th page of the sports section material by the fourth game of the season.

that said - baylor is far from the best and is a winnable game for SMU - they will not turn the ball over 6 times - we will have to win the battle of the lines - which could be tough when they have the ball. time to suck it up and go at them.
gostangs

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:58 am

Baylor is favored by 2. We don't get any respect. If the guys will just somehow get some confidence in themselves they can win this game. If they go out and let any adversity destroy their confidence they are doomed. I't a chicken and egg kind of thing--confidence before success or success before confidence. At any rate one of these teams is going to win. It may as well be SMU. Play hard and play to win.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 09-08-2003).]
Nacho

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:00 am

Not so fast my friends: Baylor could also easily be dejected by the two losses. If SMU can cram it down their throats on the first possession this game could be OVER.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:37 pm

While we might be better off playiong Baylor and Kansas of the Big XII and then trying to schedule La-Monroe, let's remember we have a 15,000 average attendance figure to meet and those games against TTech and Okie State are critical towards meeting that requirement.

We've got two games we know will be well attended...OSU & TCU. We need to show some life if we want anyone to come watch the rest of our schedule, because I don't expect UTEP, Rice, Fresno or Boise to put many butts in Ford.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTales » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>Baylor is favored by 2.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's disgraceful -- and embarrassing.

But since the home team usually gets 3 points in Vegas, that means we're viewed as one point better! Personally, I'd like to slap them around by 70, but if we win by a single point, it's still a win.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football