PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A&M/Utah

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A&M/Utah

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:32 pm

Not sure how many of you watched the game but if you did you saw probably the best unknown coach in the country, Urban Meyer. He outcoached the "great" Fran and damn near stole that game. After being down 21-0 at the half, he made a far less talented team believe they could still win at College Station. That coach is destine for the big-time. BTW, Utah's impressive RB is a Texas native from Kilgore JC.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A&M/Utah

Postby WTA » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:56 pm

I guess it is easy to look "out-coached" in the second half when your offense has only 8 snaps in the 3rd quarter due to turnovers on special teams and offense.

It was the other way around when it was 21-0 in the first half and Utah turned it over 3 times.

Urban Meyer is a helluva coach, and so is Fran...niether one of those guys carried the ball on Saturday to turn it over.
WTA

Postby WreckEm16 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:00 pm

Fran is about to be 2-3 at ATM. Can't wait to see that 3rd loss in person as I make the trek back to Lubbock in a few weeks.

------------------
And when I die
You can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas,
In my jeans.

-Mac Davis
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WreckEm16:
<B>Fran is about to be 2-3 at ATM. Can't wait to see that 3rd loss in person as I make the trek back to Lubbock in a few weeks.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be a Tech fan that week, too!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby BornRed&Blue » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:49 am

Hey WreckEm,
Just want you to know, I'm a Tech fan any week except SMU week. My first born is a Red Raider (boo!hoo!) but if she wouldn't be a Mustang, I'd much rather a Red Raider than one of those "other" schools !!!!! I've got 2 more chances though, to get a Mustang, keep hope alive.
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby WTA » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:40 pm

You know what, he may be 2-3. We may go 6-6 again this year...maybe even worse. Get your licks in now, while you can.

You know it, even though you don't want to admit it...Fran is going to take A&M to the level that R.C. couldn't.

That includes beating Tech as consistantly as they have beat us the last 10 years. I am ready for A&M to start giving more credit to what the Red Raiders have done, and will continue to do if we let them.

I think this should be more than a regional rivalry...I beleive that it is a rivalry now.

BTW, I am predicting an Aggie win on the South Plains. We may lose to VT and Pitt, but I have a gut feeling about Lubbock...nothing more/nothing less.
WTA

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:03 pm

WTA, I agree that the players are the ones that committed the turnovers but the true sign that Meyer can coach is that despite being down 21-0 on the road at the half and with his team completely over matched, Utah continued to fight and never gave up. 95% of teams would have rolled over and lost by 3 or 4 touchdowns. IMO, that is the sign of a very well coached team. He did the same thing at Bowling Green. How many coaches could have gotten Bowling Green in the top 25?

LA_Mustang

Postby WTA » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:33 pm

LA...I COMPLETLEY agree! Meyer did a great job a Bowling Green, I'm sure he will do the same at Utah. I was very impressed with the Utes.
WTA

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:50 pm

Utah is playing Cal right now on ESPN. Not only can you watch Urban Meyer's Utes, but Cal's soph. QB Aaron Rodgers is a great young talent.

LA_Mustang

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:35 am

Way to go UTES, 31-24 winner over Cal. Chalk up another win for a non-BCS team. Too bad its a MWC team.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football