PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mexican Food War !!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mexican Food War !!!!

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:40 am

In respect to the Burger War thread, that lasted for 2 years it seemed . . . I think that equal respect should be given to Mexican food, my much preferred pre- or post-game food. So . . . state your preference, Pony Fans. Let's here it.

#1 Mariano's - Old Town - but not for long, lost their lease. I drank a million of their Frozen Margarita's, they invented them, while I attended SMU (yes, I was legal, drinking age was 18 then!). Still the best in my book, worried about where the new location will be. Mariano's Motto: Life Without Mexican Food Is No Life at All!

#2 El Fenix - Downtown - it's just better there, particularly if you are seated by the Mr. Martinez. Can't beat that hot sauce, and My Motto: If the hot sauce isn't good, you might as well leave, nothing else will be good either!

#3 Sol's - Mockingbird & Abrams - my vote for the neighborhood cantina. Small, outside deck, cool waiters. Great Ritas and fried jalapenos ! ! ! !

#4 Mi Cocina - HP Village - People Watching Capital of Dallas - sit there long enough and you will see a virtual who's who of Dallas, and the ritas are good, and the food is not bad either. Also at Preston Forest, neighborhood hangout.

#5 Cantina Laredo - upscale El Chico, in the old space at Inwood Village and at Preston Royal, great food, not as Tex Mex.

I'll stop there to give the rest of you room for your opinion and suggestions.

GO MUSTANGS !!!!!!

[This message has been edited by BornRed&Blue (edited 09-09-2003).]
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Re: Mexican Food War !!!!

Postby PonySnob » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:36 am

Rafa's on Lovers Lane.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:42 am

To me, you simply cannot beat Herrera's for good, cheap, greasy Mexican food. The glowing green Margaritas bring it back to earth, though.

Like your choices GRGB.

And for some reason, I really disliked Rafas the two times I was there.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:45 am

Well, if you're looking for someone to weigh in as it were...

El Numero Uno still has to be Herrera's. Back in the '80s and '90s, Herrera's on Maple was a popular hangout for the SMU crowd. Since it was BYOB and only had 6 tables, there was usually a long line of people hanging out sitting on their coolers and socializing. Unfortunately when it burned down and moved across the street, it lost a lot of its charm. Also, grandma and grandpa passed away, so it's not quite what it was. But still, great TexMex... And still BYOB.

Numba dos is Chuy's on Knox. I like the food. Mrs. Punch favors the Mango-ritas. Mostly though, it's usually packed with SMU kids, which makes for a nice atmosphere.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:54 am

GREASY/AUTHENTIC:
Ojeda's, on MAPLE AVENUE
Herrera's, (spelling) on MAPLE AVENUE

NICE:
Mi Cocina (HP for atmosphere)
Cantina Laredo (copy of MiCocina, on Lovers Lane), actually, this is just okay...

CHEAP:
Primo's: order the fajita's for ONE, it's easily plenty for TWO.
Blue Goose: IS NOT CHEAP
El Fenix, Lunch on I think TUESDAYS, Cheese Enchilada's ($4?).

FAST FOOD:
Chipotle, make your own, basically
Free Birds Burritos on Greenville (a la Aggieland)

OLD SCHOOL:
On the Border, on Knox or Beltline for Happy Hour

DRINKS:
Mi Cocina Friday night (the girls! Mambo Taxi's)
Primo's on Tuesday night (the girls, cheap Margies!)
Blue Goose, SAT/SUNDAYS, 1-4pm, biker chicks

WITH A TWIST:
Gloria's Salvadorian/Mexican - get the fried plantain and yucca, the bean dip is awesome - Greenville or Tollroad for best atmosphere.

BEST HOTSAUCE:
Glorias is pretty good
Mi Cocina's got a little kick in it
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby i10pony » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:04 pm

1)Matito's El Rancho in Lakewood is # 1 in Dallas for me book-Best Fajitas in town

2)Rafa's Sunrise -Enchiladas hmmm...

3)Marianos-Chimicahngas are awesome
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:16 pm

Gotta concur. Gloria's rocks if you're lookin' for something with a bit of a twist. Highly recommend the flank steak and shrimp. Whatever they marinate in is magical. Great salsa, not to mention the awesome black bean dip.

Addition to cheap: the new Baja Fresh on Central at Knox.

High end: Don't forget about Javier's!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:30 pm

I hope this thread will mention some muy authetico taquerias frequented more by Hispanics than Anglos - the kind of place you find in SA (or used to anyway) around the SAS Shoe Factory Store. Tacos barbacoa, tripas, and champinones. Maybe a good menudo.

Of the places so far mentioned, I'll take El Fenix nowadays although I liked El Chico better as a kid.

And does anyone remember Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice? Where do you go for a bowl of chili?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:41 pm

What happened to Panchos all you can eat buffet? I never had the trots so bad in my life. It was always the best R.A. prank for new freshman, on a Sunday night to tell them about the $2 all you can eat buffet and see the guys lined up in the bathroom later that night.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:43 pm

Javiers
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:47 pm

Come -on!! Nobody has mentioned Mia's?? Its the best there is - started all the MiCocina et al knock offs.

Rafas is only average

Glorias has great pico

Matts is awesome also - but you have to go to Lakewood.

Primo's is the best for scenery, especially before a stars of mavs game. Good ritas also .

Mariano's was once good but is really bad now in my opinion.
gostangs

Postby The CPC » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>What happened to Panchos all you can eat buffet? I never had the trots so bad in my life. It was always the best R.A. prank for new freshman, on a Sunday night to tell them about the $2 all you can eat buffet and see the guys lined up in the bathroom later that night.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CPC has loooked both high AND low, but has not been able to locate a Pancho's in several years. The one at Abrams and Mockingbird (next to where First & Ten is located now) closed years ago, and the rest seem to have followed soon after. The funny thing is, their commercials are still on TV here, there just dont seem to be any restaraunts.

For the person asking about Chile above, try First and Ten. Bailey makes a verrrrrrrrry nice bowl of chile.

[This message has been edited by The CPC (edited 09-09-2003).]
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:45 pm

1. Gloria's - they have great Carna Asada and bean dip. The Greenville Ave location is the most popular but the original in Oak Cliff is the best.

2. Mia's - Great place to go before the Stars or Mavs game. Great Tex-Mex and ritas.

3. Casa Dominguez - Very good tortilla soup.

Cheap: Baja Fresh - healthy, fresh and good. This place is fairly new to DFW but they are everywhere in So Cal.

Authentic Mexican Food: Cuquita's (on Henderson) Great traditional Mexican food. Just going is a fun experience. Limited English is spoke by the waitresses and patrons.

If you like Mexican Seafood try La Calle Doce.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:40 pm

I didn't forget about Herrera's and Javier's and Rafa's, just wanted room for some of you to post !

I would even post Taco Bell at Mockingbird and Matilda, only because it was the only place open as late as we wanted to "eat" back in the late 70's . . . . and it's still there !
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:48 pm

La Calle Doce in Oakcliff is the best of the La Calle Doce's...eating outside on the front porch of the old house is very enjoyable. BTW, their Tex-Mex is very good too. The clientel is a good cross-section of Dallas residents.

Mia's brisket tacos are fabulous (not on the menu, but always available).

Cuquita's is an interesting place to say the least...they are also open until 3 or 4:00 in the morning. A lot of the restaruant workers in Dallas go there after they get off from work late at night for their late dinner or early breakfast.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Next

Return to Football