PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mexican Food War !!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mexican Food War !!!!

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:01 pm

Anywhere but Primo's. Granted, great eye-candy, but I'd rather eat Taco Bell than their food.

1. Mia's
2. Blue Goose
3. Mattitos
4. Mi Cocina
5. Chuy's

Would definately put Javier's on the list, but don't always think of it when I'm thinking Mexican food.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby MizterTea » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:27 pm

------------------
"Why make trillions when we could make.......... billions?"
- Dr. Evil
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:42 pm

Man, I wanna like Matt's El Rauncho, but I can't. It's got atmosphere and that's it. It's one of those legendary places that, when you really think about it, doesn't deserve an ounce of its reputation.

Cantina Laredo isn't a Mi Cocina knockoff. I was a regular there in college back in the mid 80's. Great cabrito!

And I heartily disagree that Primo's is average. Order their pork soft tacos and get ready for heaven on earth!
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:49 pm

Actually if you want Pancho's you have to go to places like Mesquite. I did a ride along with one of our construction guys, and that was where he wanted to eat on the company dime....not my first choice but free food is free food.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:51 pm

Well...if you want to make a 'road trip' outside of Dallas, you can't beat Joe T. Garcia's in Ft. Worth. The Froggies have it for food and atmosphere. Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby No Cal Pony » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:59 pm

Been a while, but I remember the original Herrera's as being great. LA Mustang, what do you think of Dallas v. LA? While Dallas is close to Mexico, I always thought LA had way better Mexican, plus of course, way more Mexicans. Even some of the taco trucks around town better than most of of places in Dallas.

Damone. Blue Goose? Are you serious? That place was weak.

Go Ponies!

[This message has been edited by No Cal Pony (edited 09-09-2003).]
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:09 pm

Sorry Mr Mustang - Joe T's is the most overrated Mexican food out there - usually flat out bad. Nice on a perfect weather night but thats about it.
gostangs

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:35 pm

El Fenix - downtown. Best sour cream chicken enchiladas in town and the HUGE 'ritas can't be beat!

Say 'hi' to Mr. Alfred Martinez, the owner. He's always at the front door to greet you or sitting at one of the front tables. And he LOVES the SMU Mustangs!

Does anyone else remember the old WRR-AM commercials back in the 60s and early 70s when they would advertise that El Fenix was 'open late' (midnight)?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:57 am

No Cal, I prefer Dallas Mexican food much more than LA, but that is because in grew up on Dallas Mexican food. All food in LA has to be so damn healthy! Yes, there is a larger Hispanic population out there (I believe LA County is about 40% Hispanic) but the Mexican food is more tradtional at places there.....bland, not very spicy, and not very cheesy.
My favorite place in LA was Mi Familla on 3rd St., just south of Hollywood and east of Beverly Hills. They had great food and even better happy hour drinks, I work a couple of blocks from there. Living in the South Bay, El Tarasco on Rosecrans became my second home. It was cheap, open late, and very Tex-Mex. Also, Tito's Tacos in Culver City kicked [deleted].
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby BornRed&Blue » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:53 am

Ate lunch at El Fenix, Northwest Hwy. & Hillcrest, nothing beats an establishment that has been there for 40 years.
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football