PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red versus Blue....you make the call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red versus Blue....you make the call

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:52 pm

In a post I read earlier this week about the Baylor game, the person was energetically encouraging everyone who is going to make the trip to “wear red”. While I applauded the fan’s encouragement of everyone to wear one of the school’s colors I, by the same token, wondered where this “red” thing has come from the last several years.

Our primary color has always been blue rather than red. This has become even more the case this year as our primary home jersey is blue, as is now our helmet. Even on the road we now sport more blue than we do red because of the helmets. Red only provides trimming unless it happens to be a day on which we wear the special red jerseys, which is usually once a year.

In the days of the SWC, many of us took pride in the fact that our attractive blue uniforms distinguished us from roughly ¼ th of the college football world that wears red, and specifically from Arkansas, Houston and Texas Tech who all wore red. We were the only team with predominately blue colors, although Rice had some blue (albeit a different shade) in their uniforms. Most of the attire at the Spirit Shop and in the bookstore then was blue, with a red or white pony on it.

With the call for red in the last couple of years by some supporters (which still puzzles me), what we end up with is a mixture of blue (because that is our predominant color) and red, thus the impact lessened. If our supporters unify behind red, it is probably better than no unification at all, but we will be wearing the color (to be redundant) that about 1/4th of the college football world wears, and bears little resemblance to the uniforms on the field.

With that said, my two cents is we should unify. I think it makes far more sense to unify behind blue than red, but that is my opinion. It would be nice to have one color (like Texas has orange; like K State has purple; like Michigan State has green; etc) to show some solidarity and the largest mass we can possibly present.

How do others feel? If this is not important, I will probably continue to wear blue with a red pony, just like our helmets.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 09-10-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: Red versus Blue....you make the call

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:58 pm

get ready...i get the feeling everyone will chime in on this one (which is kind of fun).

i vote BLUE BLUE BLUE, particularly since, as you state, it seems that half of the schools have read.

i will be wearing blue to waco.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 pm

oops...

red, not read.

and i'm the one always busting people about their spelling. hmmm.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:14 pm

...I, of course, beg to differ....RED is the more traditional SMU color. A few examples....Doak Walker, cover of Life, Red helmet, red jersey....Coaches used to award the "Red Helmet" to the player demonstrating Mustang "pride/power/wildness" in practice....In the fight song, the word "Red" is mentioned first, trivial, but true....my friend's SMU Letterman's blanket(from the 50's), is red....the mustang, be it on a helmet, bumper sticker, etc., is ALWAYS red....you get the point, WEAR RED on Sat., BEAT BAYLOR.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby i10pony » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:15 pm

I vote BLUE!
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HixsontoLeVias:
<B>...I, of course, beg to differ....RED is the more traditional SMU color. A few examples....Doak Walker, cover of Life, Red helmet, red jersey....Coaches used to award the "Red Helmet" to the player demonstrating Mustang "pride/power/wildness" in practice....In the fight song, the word "Red" is mentioned first, trivial, but true....my friend's SMU Letterman's blanket(from the 50's), is red....the mustang, be it on a helmet, bumper sticker, etc., is ALWAYS red....you get the point, WEAR RED on Sat., BEAT BAYLOR. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I concede in Doak Walker's day red was the dominant color, but it hasn't been for the last 25 years. Again, our uniforms our predominately blue, and it is different.....i.e. not like everybody else.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:57 pm

Blue Blue Blue - Red just seems more ordinary - I think the answer to this question depends on when you started being a Mustang Fan - post 1975 probably would pick Blue - before would probably pick Red.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:16 am

Webmaster, I think an official poll might be in order here. Blue does have the early lead.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:56 am

..I guess that was kind of my point (pre 1975 comment), believe it or not, before Eric and Lance showed up, we did play some ball around here. One of my frustrations with this forum is the "young fans", which is fine, and those folks who can only remeber a few years back...but, historically, traditionally, RED is the color. Got to go, watching the "History of the SWC" video tonight for a little inspiration, man, Jerry LeVias looks cool in that red helmet as he weaves his way through the Baylor defense in 1967, let's rewind the tape, LOVE ya Doak, those red helmets / shirts with the kacki pants are awesome.....guess I'd better go iron my "blue gameday" shirt, if I can find one.....oh, I love this stuff....BEAT BAYLOR, Long Live Lee Yokum.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:01 am

Blue.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:33 am

Oh yeah, beacause blue shows up so well. Red, DUH. Red stands out better against all that awful gold and green.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:08 am

RED in a sea of GREEN is going to be easier to see than blue...

R E D
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby BUbear » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:04 am

i vote that you all wear gold since it is obvious that the bears will win this one. as the saying goes, if you can't beat um join 'em.
BUbear

Postby i10pony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:06 am

Hey Hix
The first time I ever saw SMU play was in 1993. I was in sixth or seventh grade. At the time I was attending Missouri Military Academy and the corps used to attend one Mizzou game a year. I remember seeing the Mustangs in the blue and red and I thought that was a cool looking uniform at least better looking than Mizzou's and all my friends agreed. We especially liked the blue. Another memory I had from that game was the Mizzou fans tore down their goal post after the game ended in a 10-10 tie that was funny. Mizzou is my third favorite team in college football after SMU and USC. But the most memorable Mizzou game I saw was in 1990 the infamous "5th down" game against Colorado as you know Colorado won the National Championship that year. Colo. should have lost that game. Anyway the blue is cool dude.I'm out.Late.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyte » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:39 am

Both. Many teams have one color . The other being white. We are fortunate to have a choice. There are times one can feel firey and want to be seen and wear red. There are other times when one wants a slightly "cooler" look and wear blue. We have a rich tradition in both colors.

I wear both and am thankful that I have variety.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Next

Return to Football