PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red versus Blue....you make the call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Red versus Blue....you make the call

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:56 am

Please understand that thisis NOT a negative statement. But like it or not, SMU fan support is not great. Losing teams do not help, but a small alumni base contributes also. Even though crowd noise easily determines fan dominance, I can not help but feel if we wear red against other red teams (Arkansas, Tech, Fresno, etc. that even if we have fewer fans, when the players eye the stands they are not overwhelmed by the disproportionate fan support. In other words, our colors merge with the opponent and you are not sure who has the larger fan base. At times this does not work as witnessed when we play Arkansas in Dallas and the UA support is so strong that there is no doubt which has the larger fan base, although the entire stands are in red. Against teams with opposing colors, such as Baylor, Red, Blue, or White is great. They all will contrast with the Green and Gold. But remember, it is the noise that counts, so bring two or three times the volume of a Baylor fan when you go.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:08 am

Rice, BSU, Nevada, Tulsa have blue as their dominant color and sometimes UTEP (although orange is their dominant color).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonySnob » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:26 am

I'll be wearing red!!!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Joyous » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:30 am

PonyParents did t-shirts and they are red. Too bad this discussion did not surface earlier in the year. Red here.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:40 am

I will say it again. Red or blue or white will all show well. Just make sure your throats are red after the game.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby BornRed&Blue » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:21 pm

How about BOTH !
Many times I have worn a red shirt and blue shorts/slacks. Or one of those great red/blue striped polo shirts. Afterall, we are the best dressed fans in the land, come on ya'll, be creative!
I'm onboard with how cool it is that we have two great colors. We should wear them both, afterall the fight song says "here's to the red and the blue". Red is mentioned first so that "blue" will rhyme with "U" at the end of the next phrase, it has nothing to do with the importance of the colors. I'll be wearing both in some order or assortment. Anything but green and gold.
GO MUSTANGS! BEAT BAYLOR!
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:03 pm

I'm wondering...should I wear those red & blue oxfords? It's been awhile since they came out of the shoe box.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:07 pm

Joyous, when I raised this question I wasn't just thinking about the Baylor road trip. I was thinking in terms of unity going forward for all home and road games. I just think it doesn't make any sense to be sitting in Ford, cheering for a team wearing almost entirely blue (except for the special one game Red jerseys) while wearing red. This is especially true when we are playing other teams whose uniforms consist primarily of red.

Same holds true for basketball. Our road uniforms are entirely blue. Home is white.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 09-11-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:11 pm

Someone call the fashion police! The shirts for <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ponyfans.com</A> are BLUE!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 09-11-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby click » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:13 pm

The team will wear the red jerseys more this year than the blue.
click
Scout Team

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Diehard Pony:
<B>
Same holds true for basketball. Our road uniforms are entirely blue. Home is white.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 09-11-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were red until last year.

And don't forget the red football jerseys of '99. Image

Regardless, I like my blue and white candy stripes with red trim....now that's old school!
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Joyous » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:30 pm

OK, guess I'll have to buy a blue shire for Sept. 20th. That settles it.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby Spaz » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:38 pm

I say we all go in Candy Striped. That's right, Candy Striped! Like the band! WOOHOO go STANGS!!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:48 pm

SMU has never had a decent looking red jersey in the history of the program. Each and every one was a disaster-the Doak Walker look was tired. SMU has had an identity as a blue team which I agree makes us more unique.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:05 pm

"More of an identity as blue"???? Where did that come from? Historically, traditioanlly, it is RED man...Doak = RED, when I played golf at SMU in the 70's, our bags were red, our shirts were red, our pants were red (we wore white shirts with the red pants...my nieghbors 50's Letterman's blanket is Red...the famous RED practice helmets, do you know that story?...LeVias, red helmet, granted, blue shirts, but RED helmets...the Mustang, be it on a hat, bumper sticker, cup, is red...granted, blue IS part of the scene, no doubt, but RED has tradtionally and historically been the DOMINANT color..."Doak Walker, The Mustang in the Red Helmet"....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football