PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BU run defense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BU run defense

Postby Nacho » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:58 am

Maybe we won't throw a pass the entire game and go for a fake punt when we are up a ton in the 4th quarter, like they did to us post DP. Jerks. Baptist jerks to boot.

<A HREF="http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/09/11/1063256756.18429.4966.1695.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/09/11/1063256756.18429.4966.1695.html</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BU run defense

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:21 pm

I remember vividly the day they didnt throw a pass at Ownby, but I forgot about a fake punt in the 4th. Did they really do that?? That is grounds for a serious reprisal, even 9 years later.
Hoop Fan

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:24 pm

....I sort of thought NOT throwing a pass the whole game showed mercy..would you have rather them "winged it" like UH? Or, run "out of bounds" like Norte Dame? They did exactly what they had to do, the fake punt was trivial, an after thoought. BTW, what's with thhis "baptist jerks" stuff? Love ALL, serve ALL, bro.....BEAT BAYLOR> Long Live Val Joe Walker.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:02 pm

Not throwing the ball in the 4th quarter is usually a nice gesture in a blowout, but not throwing the ball the entire game is a bit of a slap in the face. Maybe it just worked out that way, but it was still an insult. Not saying that Teaff should be villified for it or anything. As for the fake punt, I didnt remember it, but that would clearly be poor sportsmanship in the 4th quarter of a blowout game.
Hoop Fan

Postby The CPC » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:18 pm

You're talking about 2 different games. The fake punt was the first year back after the death penalty. The game where Baylor never threw was 2 years later.

CPC doesnt see the "insult" that so many people whine about. Baylors starting QB was hurt, so they didnt want to pass unless they had to, and SMU never stopped the run to force them to throw. Baylor did attempt one pass that game though, it was a 65 yard touchdown that got called back on a penalty. How sure are you that you wanted them to throw more?

Whining about not passing in a game is kind of like complaining that your opponent never punted the whole game because they kept getting first downs. Its not the other teams responsibility to change its game plan to spare your feelings. Its your teams job to stop them.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:28 pm

I did refer to it as an insult, but I'm not whining about it. I already said it probably wasn't bad intentions and that Teaff shouldnt be vilified for it. At the same time, a fake punt in a blowout game, whether in 1989 or 1991 or whatever is clearly poor sportsmanship. Even though I don't remember it, if it happened, I would like to see some revenge. Teaff is still a Baylor guy, so if SMU somehow had the chance to blow them out, I'd love to see it. Call me petty.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony4Life » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:33 pm

The fact that BU didn't throw a pass all game didn't bother me much, since the basis of their goofy "wing-T veer option jamboree" (or whatever they called that awful offense) was the running game. I don't think they had a QB who could throw the thing, but apparently they had a punter with an arm. I also remember players and coaches and cops keeping Coach Gregg from going after that classless Teaff after the game when Teaff came over to shake Coach Gregg's hand. I couldn't read lips from my seat in the stands, but I sure could read Coach Gregg's expression, and he looked like he was none too pleased with Teaff's decision to kick our guys while they were down.

I'd give anything to turn the tables this Saturday. I hope Kincade and Bartel and the boys put up 50 on them, and then run a trick play in the last minute to remind them how "classy" the sainted Teaff is.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:46 pm

Remember gang, we play them next year as well. I just want to win and not give them incentives for the future. Since they think we are an inferior program, beating them would be the ultimate s sandwich, and rubbing their faces in it, will hurt us in future years. Remember Baylor has some history of cancelling away games vs. teams that might beat them. Ask USF.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:46 pm

Agreed - all run plays is not an insult - its a challenge - one that we did not rise up to. The fake punt was a low class move revealing the hypocracy of Teaff - they blame it on some invented attempt to hurt a player on a punt return - which is some B.S. they revised later to cover the smell. I remember vividly how low and classless everyone around me - including several Baylor fans- thought it was at the time. I would love to hear if Forrest thinks it was.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:56 pm

The game in which Baylor did not have a pass play was in the 5th year after the DP and demonstrated beyond dispute that Tom Rossley's Punch and Judy offense made it impossible for the SMU defense to prepare for real Football played by running the ball. Some of you forget about pathetic each and every Tom Rossley defense was in stopping the rush before Eric Schummann and Cavan took over. Heck the school's of the Baylor games in which average about 42 to 10 over a six year period (off the top of my head) shows SMU was inadequate in stopping a run offense.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:13 pm

And you forget about the games against Ark and A$M. The Ponies were at least competitve on occasion against some pretty good competition and at least there was a Punch in Punch and Judy. We know you like Cavan. Not many of the rest of us did. His teams got worse each year and he lacked in imagination on offense and was inconsistent in his philosophy within games. He was a disaster with QB's and had no clue about SMU football history. Remember that KU was the biggerst win in SMU history? We know you wanted Charlie as did I. I wanted him though for recruiting and Bennett has done as well as I had hoped Charlie would in this area.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:04 pm

Any of the Cavan teams was better than the Rossley teams. Period. I am not a huge fan of Cavan, but to imply that Rossley did a better job is absurd. He had horrible talent and put in the spread offense to try and score the occasional touchdown and pull the occasional upset. At least Cavan built his offense and defense around trying to win consistantly.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:57 pm

Old Pony: I sure wish Bennett had hired Charlie Waters as his defe sive coordinator, assuming Waters might have had an interest. Wasn't he the d-coordinator in his last job at Oregon?
Charleston Pony

Postby OldPony » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:33 pm

I doubt he had that option. CW might have taken the Head job but not an assistants. Rossley may have been the best coach we have had since the DP. The poor guy had no talent to work with at the beginning but left better talent to Cavan than Cavan did for Bennett. Witness Cavan's first year compared to the rest of his tenure and the wosening records each year. Stallion had a point in saying that too much run n shoot will weaken your defense over a period. Rossley had few choices though. I did like what Cavan did with the defense at first and that improvement couldn't have come practicing against Rossley's offense. Cavan seemed unable to sustain that defensive performance though.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:19 pm

On ESPN radio about an hour ago they were talking about how Favre hates Rossley.
Nacho

Next

Return to Football