PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vandy eliminates Athletic Dept.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Vandy eliminates Athletic Dept.

Postby Water Pony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:30 pm

In a bold move, Vanderbilt is eliminating its Athletic Department and dispursing its functions/responsibilties into various University departments. Is this a way for University Presidents to regain control over a run away train or weakened the role of collegiate athtletics?

Granted, Vandy is a hardly a athletic power, but is a very respected university. Will progressive leaders look to see if administratively this could work . . . reducing cost and regaining some control over the indedpendence of varsity teams, especially FB and BB.

<A HREF="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/09/10/vandy.folo.ap/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/09/10/vandy.folo.ap/index.html</A>

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 09-11-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Vandy eliminates Athletic Dept.

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:37 pm

I thought Vandy eliminated football about 60 years ago.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:06 pm

Oh c'mon I love Vandy.. they always upset one of the top ranked SEC teams every few years. It's fun to root for them...and their football team this year doesn't look bad at all. I can guarantee you they'd beat SMU Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:40 pm

OP, I think the Vandy folks would die laughing that someone from SMU would make a comment like that about their football program. That's like the Bengals calling the Browns pathetic.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:55 pm

In his defense, SMU only eliminated football 14 years ago; 60 years is just a little longer.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:47 pm

Chancellor Gee of Vanderbilt is an emerging leader in universities. Along with Cowan at Tulane, they are characteristic of bold leaders trying to change the game, e.g. the arms war in BCS school's athletic departments. Our hopes and needs are aligned with theirs, that is regain control of FB and BB craziness, reduce somewhat the huge gap in spending and return to the positives of why collegiate sports serve students and universities. We can't win in a battle of budgets, alumni base and entitlement enjoyed by the current beneficiaries. I wish them well for everyone's sake. I don't laugh at Vanderbilt, I admire them.

<A HREF="http://tennessean.com/opinion/archives/03/09/39103357.shtml?Element_ID=39103357" TARGET=_blank>http://tennessean.com/opinion/archives/03/09/39103357.shtml?Element_ID=39103357</A>
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby OldPony » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:57 pm

I was poking a kindly jab at VU athletics. They would beat SMU in both major sports. It is nice to see something like this but it won't go anywhere. I didn't notice Vandy telling the SEC to keep their nasty moolah. SMU would surpass Vandy very quickly if we had Vandy's slice of the SEC pie.
For you YoungPonies the last time a college football power did anything like this was U of Chicago back in either the 30's or 40's. They closed down their football program because they thought college football was getting out of hand even though they were a power. Even OP was not alive when that happened.
Vandy's stance would be big news if anyone who has competed well in a major conference would take the same stand. Don't bet on it. The NCAA could require changes but they are afraid that the college presidents of the big schools would just pull out of the NCAA and go their merry way. Note that Fresno had to give back their basketball money for cheating but Ohio St won't have to give up the football money if found guilty because the NCAA "doesn't control the bowls". Who do you think the NCAA recognized as last year's football champs though?
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Football