PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN - Private Schools

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN - Private Schools

Postby PK » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:08 pm

Interesting article in todays paper.

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/colleges/topstories/stories/091103dnspoprivateslede.bc7b.html" TARGET=_blank>www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/colleges/top stories/stories/091103dnspoprivateslede.bc7b.html</A>

Also had this short leadin piece.

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/" TARGET=_blank>www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/</A>

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-11-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DMN - Private Schools

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:27 pm

regarding the vandy move - the day something like this becomes a good idea is the day when all these bcs-bs reporters like the dallas morning news bunch endorses the same type of move for texas u & aggieville...

naaaaaaaaaaaa - i don't think so...hypocrits again!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby geephunk » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:38 pm

Nice Job but they left out BYU and SMU in their study.
geephunk
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:24 pm

They left out SMU and BYU because the focus of the article is those "private" schools lost in BCS land.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I'm still for the reformation of a SWC, sans UT, A$M & Tech (yes, Baylor belongs with the regional privates and "2nd tier" public schools).

I'd still like to see:

WEST: UTEP, NMSU, TCU, SMU, UNT & Baylor

East: Houston, Rice, Tulane, La Tech, Tulsa and either La-Laf or Ark St.

I would probably go w/La-Laf and let Ark St join Memphis, USM, Midd Tenn, Troy St, UAB, USF, UCF etc...in a "next tier SEC-type grouping". I know this is not likely to happen, because it is far too practical.

None of these programs is likely to EVER compete consistently with the big boys again, but most refuse to admit it...so we will continue trying to build "rivalries" with schools 1500 miles and two time zones from Dallas.

Oh well...BEAT BAYLOR!!! And I will continue to wish we were playing opponents like Baylor or UNT every week so we could draw closer to 20k than 10k in our conference games.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football