PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

College Football Diary- Week Two

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

College Football Diary- Week Two

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:37 pm

College Football Diary is a week-by-week analysis of the weekend that was with an emphasis on regional teams especially SMU, the team I love, and Texas, the team I love to hate.

College Football Diary represents the opinions of its author. Feel free to disagree- but you’re wrong. That was a joke.

My apologies as this week’s entry is woefully shorter then last weeks.

College Football Diary: Week Two

Dear Diary,

I wish it was my job to write to you, diary, because then every week would be as lengthy as the first week.

Ahh, week two and the Mustangs and Longhorns are off. Still, it was another great weekend on campus. Let’s get right to it.

KICKOFF

Fresno State vs. Oregon State

JuCo State showed yet again that they are one of the above average left coast teams. Every offseason you look at Fresno State and decide that this year they will not be competitive. Most of the time you are wrong.

You have to respect Pat Hill, even if you don’t want to. This was clearly a game that the visiting Oregon State Beavers had in their preseason win column, more so after Fresno got shellacked week one vs. Tennessee. Tennessee is a better ball club then Oregon State- but the Beavers should have played better.

Pat Hill is a solid coach. Some may question his recruiting methods, but they have bred on-field success. Partial qualifiers and JuCo kids have kept Hill’s troop afloat and in the hunt year after year. They may not always have a great team, but most years they can compete. They looked ridiculous in week one, but that’s the other thing about Pat Hill, he has an astonishing ability to regroup. He has to with his gung-ho, “we’ll play anyone anywhere” attitude. The other thing that Hill and his players have been instrumental in is creating an extreme home field advantage. Sure, the fans are the home field advantage, but the fans don’t come without marketing and winning. Mostly winning.

Florida vs. Miami

Florida is not a good football team. Zook is not a good coach. Despite the heroic comeback by Miami, the most compelling story from this game is- there is more wrong with Miami then previously thought. Absolutely no way should Florida even be in this game.

Yes Brock Berlin brought Miami back… but it was Brock Berlin that got them into that mess. All in all, however, this was a fantastic game to watch.

Notre Dame vs. Washington State

Wazoo, what are you doing to me? Come on now. I think one thing is clear; Notre Dame should not beat Michigan this weekend.

HALFTIME

No time for you, Diary. No time for Clarrett, no time for Stoopsy McStooperson, and no time for love, Dr. Jones.

KICKOFF

UNT vs. Baylor

Lovely. Cry Morriss, why did you ever take that job? (I can think of precisely one million reasons.) Cry Morriss, complain all you want about the power outage on your sidelines… how about your power outage on the field?

Dan Patrick, on his radio show, went on along diatribe about Baylor. Insisting that they just need to drop to 1AA. His best quote (in reference to the basketball scandal):

“Baylor can’t even cheat well.”

FIFTH QUARTER

Plenty of good games this weekend. I, however will be focused squarely on two-

The Big SWC Football Trip-

Immediately after posting this, I will be off to Austin, Texas. For Four SWC Teams- One Day. Saturday schedule…

9:00am UT Tailgate
11:00am Texas vs. Arkansas
2:30pm Postgame Tailgate
4:00pm Depart Austin
6:00pm SMU vs. Baylor
9:00pm Depart Waco
10:30pm Bar in Dallas, Texas (gathering of high school friends)

Sunday- sleep with one eye open on the pro games. (I guaranty a Cowboy victory Monday night… you can hold me to that.)

I’ll be back next week with what promises to be a much more exciting edition of…

College Football Diary
The author of College Football Diary is a filmmaker and writer living in Dallas, TX.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football