PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone care to speculate?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Anyone care to speculate?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:03 pm

What "changes" Cavan might have in mind? Are we going to see Page at QB? Focus more on running game than airing it out 50 times every week? Speaking of running the ball, can anyone tell me why Sterling Harris did not play last night? I've seen posts that suggest he may be having trouble with his footwork in this spread offense, but wasn't he supposed to be a stud run blocker?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Anyone care to speculate?

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:24 pm

I have no clue about what changes will be made. Harris has yet to show anyone anything from what I hear. Whenever I have seen him in practice, he looks pretty weak. Seems like he is too slow and as you said, his footwork needs help. Our O-line is going to need some help once they start graduating in the next two years. What are we going to do? We have no depth.

Maybe some of the changes will be sending Comet on his well deserved long routes unstead of these 5 yard outs and screens. Maybe playing McD. Maybe playing Pipkins. Maybe ultilizing our potential instead of playing half of our team and running the same plays over and over.

There are a lot of changes to be made, but my prediction...there will be no changes.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:27 am

I think smuponyfan is right, nothing will change. The players are going to have to do this on their own.

[This message has been edited by ponytalk (edited 10-08-2000).]
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyPower » Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:53 pm

After the Tulane game, when Freeman went nuts as a RB, Cavan said we need to get him the ball 15-20 times a game, and that he would get more time in the backfield. I don't think he lined up back there ONCE in the two games since. I f we have a weapon like that, we need to use him.

No idea what's going on with Bryan McDearman. The man has the best hands on the team, and now he's even been demoted to second string as the holder for placekicks. What gives?

I don't think we need to abandon the pass for more running. Our running game, especially if we're not going to use Freeman back there, is not much of a threat. Our offense works best when McCown throws a lot (although we need fewer interceptions from our QB) and also when he tucks it and runs. When McCown gets into the secondary with the ball, he presents matchup problems for DB's who are too small to tackle him and LB's who are too slow to catch him. He can create plays on his own, and he needs to be given the freedom to roam when he sees a chance.

The offensive line is our biggest area of concern. A former player told me this weekend that McCarthy is our best lineman, if only because he has a mean streak in him. Sterling Harris is huge, but too slow. I'm not ready to call him a bust, but he needs to commit himself to year-round conditioning, work A LOT on his footwork and play with more fire.

And we need to sign 6-8 linemen in February.
PonyPower
All-American

Return to Football