PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bartel is HORRIBLE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bartel is HORRIBLE

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:51 pm

It's official: BARTEL SUCKS! Either that or Larry Edomonson is the worst QB coach we have ever had.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Bartel is HORRIBLE

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 pm

Your logic is wrong here. Your OR should be an AND.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby McAndless » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:56 pm

I made it to the game last night, and having what I consider a pretty educated football background, noticed a few things.

1)I knew when SMU would run or pass. Give the JV coach at Jesuit game tape of SMU and he too could figure out what Bennett would have Edmondson run. Hence, Bartel cannot help it if his only passing play is a play action roll out into the short side of the field with two receivers running elementary routes. It is not hard to cover that concept.
2)He fell victim to some dropped balls and some that didn't even hit receiver's hands, instead being drilled into their chests that they couldn't catch. When that happens, you fall out of a rythm and quarterback is the most rythmic position on the field, something he was ill-afforded last night.
3)SMU did not/does not utilize a good tight end in Hrncir. He is a big target with good hands. Bartel went to him once and tried to put the ball where the defender wasn't and the DB actually made a great play. As soon as that took place, Hrncir was not a factor at all. The field is 50 yards wide and Bennett/Edmondson utilize 16 of those yards.
4)How many times was the offense in 2nd and 3rd and long situations? There needs to be far less predictabality on 1st down to have a chance on later downs. There aren't many plays to choose from to run when you know you are going to be blitzed and still need 10 yards. That is difficult, but good coaches try not to put their team in that exact situation.

The defense looked great. Adami may be a little light but that kid plays the game the way it should be played. The two D.D.'s played well and Jonas is back to form. But they must be helped out, and don't put blame on Bartel, just expand the playbook to 5 pages instead of 3.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:41 pm

UNF,

Since ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest person in the world...freakin moron.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:00 am

Hey now you sound like me, you sarcastic ****.

Anyway, I really am too [deleted] Bartel. It honestly is entirely Edmonson, the recievers, and the o-line's fault.

Btw, Grapevine is a ****hole.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:53 am

As opposed to Daytona? Hardly.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:47 am

Wow. Grapevine vs. Daytona Beach.. hmm!

I say we take a poll. You're a ****ing tool.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:49 am

The beach is OK. Not great, but OK. The rest of that town is worthless. Enjoy.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:57 am

Daytona is what, 100 times larger than Grapevine.. the area has almost 300,000 people. The beach is great during the summer months, especially the non-touristy areas around Port Orange. The town itself has made huge strides in the past 5 years. I'm not sure when you were last in Daytona.

In any case, it sure beats those Grapevine beaches. Ahem.

Texans are not Floridians, I do forget, and you don't appreciate living in a beach town as much as most people I suppose.

Also, for the record, I hate Daytona myself, having lived there my entire life. I'd much rather live in Santa Barbara or even Dallas again. For now, Jacksonville will do.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:30 am

Hey UNF, how about a truce? I didn't mean to bog down this board with a travel guide. I didn't like my visits to Daytona, but that's just my opinion.

And for the record, I didn't grow up here -- I appreciate all beaches. (In fact, I'm in beach withdrawal right now....)
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Return to Football