PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Final Score BU 10 SMU 7 - another long year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Final Score BU 10 SMU 7 - another long year

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:59 pm

No one is going to want to watch what OSU will do to SMU next week. Ford stadium is liable to be vacant, and SMU is in danger of not meeting the minimum home attendance averages for a Div. 1-A team this year. Any prectitions of whether we will win any games this year or not?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Final Score BU 10 SMU 7 - another long year

Postby Ponymon » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:12 pm

Your wrong. The place will probably be packed, but with OSU fans. I have 6 season tickets, but have to admit that it will be tough to find takers for the other 5.

Bennett needs to develop an OFFENSE. Enough of ball control. Throw the ball on FIRST DOWN! Try some misdirection, screens, end arounds. Even if they don't work, you give the other coach something to think about. If Bartel can't get it done, then it is time to take the red shirt off the most promising freshman and let them have a go at it! Football is a chess match. So far, it does not appear we have anyone calling the plays that has enough imagination to win a game! Maybe the offensive coordinator needs changing to!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:28 am

I thought an end around to silence the backside pursuit would have been an excellent call tonight. They were pursuing so fast from KK's behind...a play action to KK and turn around or pitch to the WR would have been perfect.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:42 am

I said the exact same thing out loud about an end around or reverse. It seemed obvious, but it also looked like we could cram it down their throat and win 14-10. We choked.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:58 am

I made the drive as well, and I agree with all the preceding comments, particularly regarding taking of the redshirt of one or both of our promising new quarterbacks. We can't afford for this season to be a total loss.

I thought the defense looked very good, even understanding this was Baylor. My biggest concern beyond who should be at quarterback is that we seem to have a dirth of play makers on offense. Bartel is so far not filling that bill, and Cunningham, who I thought would be a play maker has lost a step (from the broken ankle) or something. Even Keylon, who I think is an absolute stud, does not have the speed to be a play maker. Jay Taylor was my hope as a play maker, but apparently he still can't catch the ball or is still injured, or both.

This was a very strange game, in that it was entertaining (despite the 10-7 score) to watch, yet left you with a very empty feeling when it was all over and you realized you just lost to a team that was destroyed by North Texas the week before.

Once again, we have to find some play makers on offense, and be more creative on that side of the ball to have any hope of salvaging this season. I also think that the coaching staff has to look seriously at the possibility of pulling the red shirt off of one or both of our freshmen quarterbacks.

My two cents on a day that I was going to witness a W on the road.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:30 am

everybody in the stadium knows that KK is going to carry the load for this offense. If Phillips is playing at the QB spot, look for more "naked" bootleg calls to make that DE pay for his overpursuit. BUT...Phillips and most of the incoming frosh who will help improve this program are wearing redshirts and let's hope it stays that way. That's what guys like KK and Sterling and our LBs are doing...they are out there giving their all so we can afford to RS some very talented young guys who will replace them next year. I want these seniors toi tast some success, but not at the expense of this program's future.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:18 pm

Taking the redshirt off of a QB is not going to change the fact that our recievers are all 5'10 and under and get pushed around. Bartel made one bad throw the whole night and I thought me made decent decisions out there. He is not the problem.
JasonB

Postby WildHorse » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:19 pm

Amen!
Leave Bartel alone .... or better yet, support him. He's got as much talent as any QB we've had in a long, long time.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football