PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Patience...Patience..GIVE this staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Patience...Patience..GIVE this staff

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:02 pm

some TIME..I saw a TON of improvement this evening.....Baylor is a strong, tough, well coached "big 12" squad...we were LUCKY JUST to hang with them tonight...MAN!! Our YOUNG KIDS made some GREAT plays tonight...BRING ON THE COWBOYS!!!!
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: Patience...Patience..GIVE this staff

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:11 pm

Man, I want some of whatever you are having if you are eager to play the OSU game after what happened in the Baylor game.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:16 pm

Just last year some folks here were jabbing at Baylor calling them "Baylor High". Now you have them as "Big 12" material? I realize it's different folks saying these things, but that is a wide range of opinions!
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:26 am

SARCASM alert
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:48 am

Are you calling this "sarcasm" alert due to the source or content of the message? I have absolutely no knowledge of Baylor's strength in any area. I truly expected SMU to win based on posts from people on this list - and that Baylor was on ESPN's bottom 10 list. But the post that opened up this thread seemed contradictory to all I have read/heard.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:47 am

I always thought the "Baylor High" references were because of the academic performances of some of their athletes. At least that's the way it was originally posted.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:10 am

For those who don't follow HixsontoLevias' posts...yes, that was sarcasm. This was a battle of the two weakest former SWC schools and SMU has shown little improvement in the Bennet era. Hix isn't pleased to keep hearing that our future begins with the 41 freshman on this squad and I'm sure it's dificult for Bennett not to put them on the field in hopes we might win 4 games this year; but that remains my hope, i.e., that we will find a way to win 4 games. That will have been a big improvement over last year, given our schedule. Bring on UTEP and let's get this thing moving in the right direction!

Long live Ron Meyer and year over year improvement.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:47 pm

Year over year improvement, and that was just in the pay raises.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:05 pm

Ron Meyer had the opportunity to compete with anyone in the country. Yes, we were not going to be "outbid" by UT or A$M for anybody back in those days, but even under those conditions, Meyer didn't produce a winner until his 5th season at SMU. Look it up. 3-8 in '76, 4-7 in '77, 4-6-1 in '78, 5-6 in '79 and finally the 8-4 Holiday Bowl breakthough season in 1980. I said coiming into this season that we could be an improved football team and still go 3-9. I still believe that to be an accurate assessment of where we are with this program. I expect to beat UTEP and Rice at home and hope to beat Tulsa or possibly Nevada or San Jose or even La Tech on the road. I hope for our seniors sake that we pull off at least one huge upset win...Fresno? Boise? TCU? I don't expect us to compete very well against OSU, but I sure hope we have more fans in the stands than the visitors bring. With good weather, surely we draw close to 25k for the home opener, right?
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:22 pm

...that's exactly right-he improved each year as the tide of improved recruiting classes raised the talent level. I never expected us to beat a Big 12 team on the road this year so I not making any judgments about the progress of the program yet. Four wins would provide at least a measure of improvement. The people who are bitchin right now are the same people(some of whom just change their name year-to-year) who been selling this Fool's Gold about a breakout season with mediocre talent for about 10 years now.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football