PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game Summary

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game Summary

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:14 am

First of all, it was SMU's to win.

Baylor scored on SMU turnovers, period. SMU's defense controlled the game. SMU's offense had a few opportunities, but poor decisions by Bartel a few times (could have run for a 1st down, threw incomplete, etc), and perhaps some questionable play calling (1 and 10 from your 8 with 5 min to go, you are passing? You've been running all day on these guys, you have plenty of time)....

Baylor had a 'little' help on offense with two facemasks that extended their drives (one scored)...one was legit, the other was a sack and a brush of a facemask that at most was a 5 yarder, intead of 4th, they got 1st and 15 more yards closer (scored 3pts)...

But, the refs weren't the problem, the problem was the offenses lack of imagination and perhaps just poor play from Bartel again...a few balls were thrown a little late, behind, or low...he just didn't seem to show any rythm at all.

I am encouraged by the defense...they shut down Baylor pretty much all day, and pretty much completely in the 2nd half (which is where baylor scored their only TD, on the fumble).

Again, we got into trouble with Cunningham LUNGING at a punt return (fumble), Bartel getting sacked from behind at the 18 or so (fumble), and poorly thrown ball (INT)...and crappy crappy punting and punt coverage (one partially blocked, two crap kicks sideways almost).

Bennett was correct to play the ball control field position game...Guy Morris screwed up going for it in the first possession and it cost him Field Position the entire first half, with SMU winning.

However, the Field Position game REQUIRES that you score when you get the chance...and we missed that FG, and were stopped on 3rd and 5 many times (only to punt horribly).
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Game Summary

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:00 am

Excellent breakdown.

Rather than dwell on what went wrong, I'm going to focus on the vast improvement of our defense - they played their tails off. Nice work, D.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 am

I was a little concerned that Kincade was the only RB to carry the ball, and the personal fouls hurt us.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:04 am

I flew in from CA to see this game.

My observations:

1) A decent Baylor QB would have scored at least 2 more TDs against us.

2) Bil Parcells, knowing he has a lousy offense, is trying to improve his team through special teams play. Wish we could too ( I actually thought 2 punts were blocked).

3) Would like to know SMU's 4th longest play from scrimmage, it could not have been over 10 yards. That is a very bad thing.

4) Bennett should offer Massey's brother or any other legitimate 3-star receiver an immediate starting position, no questions asked.

5) ESPN was dead on. This truly was the pillow fight of the week.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:06 am

Hillsboro (home of the Massey family) isn't too far from Waco - I wonder if Donald was at the game. I kind of hope not.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football