PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Positive Stallion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Positive Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:01 am

I really have to laugh at some of you guys some times. Let me see Baylor blisters us in recruiting in 4 out of 5 years-and really that is deceptive since the best SMU class is largely being redshirted-then you blame the coach for losing to a Big 12 Team on the road. I saw an SMU defensive line dominate the line of scrimmage against a pretty hefty offensive line. I saw one of the best jobs of rushing the passer I've seen in awhile from an SMU team. I saw a defense that played its heart out until the very last play. There were positives to take from this game. The special teams were horrible-just pathetic-and it probably cost us the game. With SMU picking it up in recruiting this is not the time to give up. We will win when we can put talent on the field that is equal to or better than our opponents. The recruiting classes that compose the majority of SMU players Saturday night were simply marginal Division 1A classes. And you expect the coaching staff to work miracles. Sorry, grow up- I didn't see a lack of effort out there. We need to load up more on the skill positions that is obvious-we've got a long way to go but it ain't going to happen overnight no matter who the coach is.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Positive Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:06 am

All true, buts its more how we lost. Simply gave it away on special teams. And its pretty tough to admit we are way behind UNT at the moment. They ain't Big 12.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:33 am

It's the inconsistencies that bother me Stallion. Last year, we were great with punt/kick returns. This year so far, oh boy, not happening. Kicking game has always been a weakness and it something to expect. My problem is, Bennett never benches anyone for during a poor performance. He only uses one back, etc. I don't like his coaching style.

As far as tonite's game went, I was impressed by the defense. And the recievers dropped a lot of passes. I'd still like to see one of the freshmen thrown in there.. one of them would have to "win" the job of course in this system. Yeah, just like Tate Wallis won it.

I don't have the time so it here on saturday night and listen to really bad football. If I could watch it, you can be damn certain I would. If I were in even Texas, I'd come to every home game and game played in Texas. But I can't do that.

Glad you're positive Stallion... but we're still too damn inconsistent. I hope we're actually getting better, and the defense won't have a relapse. If the progress is ongoing and the offense somehow pulls something together other than the most basic of all offenses every seen to defensive coordinators, I'll be happy.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:45 am

Glad to see you're still on board, Stallion.

Keep the faith, Mustangs. There are brighter times ahead, and sooner than some of the doomsdayers might think.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:23 am

As for the comment about the one-back sets, KK has shown he can be a workhorse and given the prospects this team could win with this year's schedule, I agree it was a good call not to waste a year of Richuel's eligibility. For a guy who "came her to break Dickerson's records", you know it's killing hime sitting on the sidelines watching his team lose to Baylor.

Brace yourselves for another 3-9, or maybe 4-8 season if we can steal a win somewhere. I agree with Stallion. There are positive signs for the future, but we are sacrificing the present and that has to be tough on this year's seniors.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:14 am

How long do we have to sacrifice the present CP?

I long for the days of Rossely when at least we had some great games against atm, North Carolina, Wisconsin, UCLA, etc. And we actually beat teams like Tulane, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and North Texas. We can't do that any more.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:31 pm

Listening to the game, I was also really pleased with the defense. Great pass rush against those BIG uglies, and sounded like great run-stuffing from DD Johnson and others. They kept us in it the whole game, and didn't show frustration at our offensive woes by letting up. That's encouraging. We're gonna put this all together, folks, it just won't be overnight.

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 09-14-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:47 pm

Fact police: Tom Rossley never beat Vanderbilt( in fact he lost the only meeting) and North Texas was Division 1AA when he beat them. The glorious year Rossley almost beat North Carolina SMU finished 1-9-1 and winless in conference. Please spare us with these ridiculous comments about the Golden Age of Tom Rossley Football.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:55 pm

well, partially true. While Forest Gregg was the head coach when SMU opened it's 1990 season by trouncing Vandy 44-7, wasn't Rossley our offensive coordinator that year?

Regardless, I remember thinking maybe we had significantly improved from that 2-9 season in '89, only to watch the Mustangs lose 10 straight to go 1-10 in 1990. Oh, by the way, Baylor beat us 52-17 in Waco that year!
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:05 pm

No Larry Kueck was the offensive coordinator because Rossley had left for Atlanta or some place in the NFL.

Stallion

Postby OldPony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:28 pm

This loss was not about athletes. It was about stupid special teams play. Special teams play IS coaching. I think there were 2 times when our special teams took the field that we didn't do something stupid. This loss had NOTHING to do with model or recruiting. I know this is your only cause Stallion but idiots know you don't run full out to catch punts at poor angles or fair catch on the 7. Missed field goals from 38 yards is not acceptable. Punts of 15-20 yards are not acceptable. Poor coverage of decent punts is not acceptable. Great coaches know this is an important part of the game. You think it has been tough to recuit so far? Wait. There is no recruit alive who remembers SMU as anything but a laughing stock of a football team. We will beat UTEP. Maybe Tulsa. We are the dregs of college football. Baylor is a horrible team with no offense. They made our D look good because they can't do anything. They are NOT Big 12 caliber football. There are many D1AA teams who could beat SMU and Baylor. That my friend is coaching. OSU will win by at least 40. We will be run off the field by powers such as LaTech and San Jose. This is a new low point for SMU football. If the school doesn't want to commit to do what is necessary to win, I'm for folding football and concentrating assets into basketball. I feel sorry for people like Jerry Ford and Lamar Hunt who have wasted millions on this cr@P. The only thing good was the hustle last night. No team can overcome poor decisions all night with hustle. This is just flat a poor product and poor coaching. Only 5000 or so of us care anyway. If Bennett can't coach special teams, that huge # will fall quickly. The only hope SMU has to win is if the other team dies laughing at the films.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:45 pm

...and you've said the exact same thing about every single SMU Football and Basketball Coach since the DP. It's getting old. So go ahead and hitch up that "Fire The Coach Bandwagon"!!!!!!

Stallion

Postby OldPony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:59 pm

No Stallion- I was for firing Cavan. No one else. I didn't say to fire Bennett yet. If you think last night was about athletes though, you weren't paying attention. Do you think this team could beat Ball St?, San Jose? Miami of Ohio? Bowling Green? UAB? Any of those great powers?
Keep on giving passes to sorry coached teams and you will never win. I expect to see better performance from what we have. Baylor is pitiful. We were the superior team except for cr@appy coaching of special teams last night. You keep making excuses for the coaches though. It goes with your one dimensional line.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:06 pm

...and I've been right every damn year too-which must kill some of you who don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. I got news for you too-the talent level at SJSU is way above SMU's talent level-ts really not even close-heck they have almost as many highly recruited players from Texas(not including the redshirting freshman class) as SMU does and they are thousands of miles away from Texas.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-14-2003).]

Stallion

Postby OldPony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:08 pm

Wow!!!!Prediciting SMU to lose. You're a real genius.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Football