PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Predictions on when Bartel is replaced?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Predictions on when Bartel is replaced?

Postby StangEsq » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:27 am

Baylor gives up 50+ to North Texas State and we score 7 against them. This is pathetic. There are high school teams that could outscore us right now. How bad does it have to get before we give Phillips a shot? It can't get any worse than this.
StangEsq
Heisman

Re: Predictions on when Bartel is replaced?

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:36 am

I think our recievers are very much to blame.. although I wasn't at the game. Bartel is still making bad decisions and bad throws, although I think our recieving corp still needs a major overhaul. Unfortunately, overhauls can't be accomplished in one year.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:42 am

Very true - we HAVE to have patience. Bartel has started all of what, 6 games in his career now? He has shown us glimpses of what he can do. He can't do anything from the bench.

No need to rush Phillips into action - he's still a freshman, and has lots to learn. He's more athletic than Bartel, but he's at the very beginning of his learning curve. Have patience with Bartel and this team - they're both going to be fine.

And remember, despite the fact that Baylor's record sucks in recent years, they face very good teams on a week in, week out basis. The OUs and Nebraskas of the world are a hell of a lot better than the teams we face in the WAC, so BU's record might be misleading. They're not good, make no mistake about it, but they might be better than their record in recent seasons might indicate.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:46 am

As I stated in a previous post, clearly receivers are a weakness for us that Cunningham's return has surprisingly not helped cure. We have no go to guys, and that leaves us with Kelyon who, although a warrior, is not doing the spin moves, etc, that garnered him 167 yds rushing against Tech last year.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:16 am

I wasn't at the game, but would like to know from those who were...did we ever try to throw the ball DOWNFIELD to spread the defense out? Or, are we determined to see if we can win games by running KK the battering ram between the tackles 30 times against 8 man fronts?

Phillips, Meeks or some true Frosh might come in and replace Bartel next year and we should see more speed at the skill positions (I'm anxious to see if Massey will give us a breakaway threat like we haven't enjoyed since ShanDerrick was healthy), but before bashing Bartel, I'm just wondering if he's being given a chance to spread the defenses (like the rest of the world is doing)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>I wasn't at the game, but would like to know from those who were...did we ever try to throw the ball DOWNFIELD to spread the defense out? Or, are we determined to see if we can win games by running KK the battering ram between the tackles 30 times against 8 man fronts?

Phillips, Meeks or some true Frosh might come in and replace Bartel next year and we should see more speed at the skill positions (I'm anxious to see if Massey will give us a breakaway threat like we haven't enjoyed since ShanDerrick was healthy), but before bashing Bartel, I'm just wondering if he's being given a chance to spread the defenses (like the rest of the world is doing)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We talked after the game that we did very little to get Baylor's people out of the box. We went deep on precious few occassions, and didn't connect on any of them. But, perhaps one of the reasons for this is the fact that we don't have any game breakers at receiver. Nobody with exceptional speed and hands, let alone height.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:53 pm

I'm not sure if SMU HAS a player who is a home-run threat-we are a team of possession receivers. I'm wondering if some of the Bartel bashers actually went to the game because including the perfect 5 passes dropped by his receivers he would have been 17-25.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyrider1947 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:46 pm

Was at the game and I saw only one 'horrible' pass (looked almost like a pass to Baylor, rather than an interception). Other than that, I say give Bartel until the end of the Nevada game, the first WAC game, until you make any final 'off with their heads' decisions. I think Bartel will come thru for us in the WAC.

From my view of the field, it appeared that the problem was definitely the receivers AND the O-Line. The O-Line is still not covering as effectively as I would like; Bartel is still having to scramble.

The last two punts were horrible, but the punter had his hand bandaged up in the 2nd half. Someone said a finger was broken. I suspect he was probably just trying to make sure he caught the ball and did 'something' with it. Who the hell is the backup punter anyway?

And for God's sake, can you mix up the offense a little? Predicable, predicable, predicable. You say maybe's there'a a reson for this? What is it? Even with inexperienced receivers and apparently only ONE runner that the coaches have any confidence in, can't you AT LEAST scramble up the "run, short pass, long pass cuz we're desperate strategy, punt"? I saw ONE long pass when we were 1st and 10 to the end zone, and he damn near made it! Do more of that!

But what does an old man like me know these days? Other than knowing how to shell out some dough for a ticket or two.
ponyrider1947
Recruit

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:22 pm

The receivers are the biggest problem with the offense right now. They get bullied around. Bartel is doing fine, or at least as well as could be expected. And he wasn't running for his life last night - the o-line was decent. Te receivers aren't staying on their routes and they aren't getting open.
JasonB

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:27 pm

This thread has a lot of good points - we need to figure ways to spread a defense, and if we want to run it then, at least KK will have room to run. I would think if nothing else, load some multiple-WR formations on one side and drop one behind the others for a quick wide receiver screen.

Richuel Massey isn't a true breakaway guy (his brother is, though), but then again, neither was ShanD. He was shifty and elusive as hell, but not a pure sprinter. Maybe Jessie Henderson will be the home run hitter we all want to see?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Sic_em » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:10 am

While SMU's offensive game plan was conservative, I thought Baylor's was even moreso. I remember SMU taking at least 3 shots down the field going to a WR that had a one-on-one matchup with a CB. None were completed.

Baylor only took one long shot down the field. Robert Quiroga had a few steps on a DB but Karas badly underthrew the ball and the DB recovered to knock it away. SMU's interception came on a pass about 25 yards downfield that Rico Harris picked. Other than that, I don't remember Baylor doing anything to stretch the D.

I think the difference in the game for Baylor was Willie Andrews. He was BU's punt returner who set up our TD. It seemed like he was a step away from breaking one on several occasions. He was also the guy who got the pick on Bartel.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Return to Football