PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking ahead to OSU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking ahead to OSU

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:03 am

In Sunday's Morning News:

Cowboys dominate behind Bell's four TDs
Associated Press

STILLWATER, Okla. – Tatum Bell ran for 143 yards and a career-high four touchdowns on 21 carries as Oklahoma State beat Division I-AA Southwest Missouri State, 42-3, Saturday night.

Seymore Shaw added 107 yards on 10 rushes, including a 53-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter as the Cowboys (2-1) won their fourth straight nonconference game.

Cody Pratt rushed for 79 yards on 22 carries to lead the Bears (1-1), who fell to 1-18 against Division 1-A opponents since 1982.

Rashaun Woods tied the Cowboys career record for receiving touchdowns set at 29 by Hart Lee ****s (1985-1988). Woods caught four passes for 71 yards, extending his streak of consecutive games with at least two catches to 34.

Bell, the Big 12's leading rusher, followed a career-high 215 yards in last week's win over Wyoming with another dominating performance. He scored from 26 yards, 2 yards and twice from 6 yards.

It was the ninth 100-yard game of Bell's career and the fifth in his last six games. He's scored seven touchdowns in the last two games, but he gives the credit to the offensive line.

"They're getting better each week," Bell said. "I stay on them, and they stay on me. We finally got a rhythm and got the rush going."

Oklahoma State controlled the game from the start, scoring on its first possession and allowing the Bears only one drive into Cowboys territory in the first half. Josh Fields hit Woods with a 38-yard touchdown pass to go up, 7-0.

Bell's two first-half touchdowns, from 2 and 6 yards, put Oklahoma State up, 21-0. The last was set up by Darrent Williams interception and return to the Bears 48.

Southwest Missouri finally entered Cowboys territory on their last drive of the first half. A.J. Porter hit 4 of 6 passes for 46 yards on the drive, but the Bears had to kick a 22-yard field goal as time wound down. The Cowboys led, 21-3, at halftime.

Oklahoma State finished with 417 total yards while holding the Bears to 219 yards. The Cowboys defense forced three turnovers.

Fields was 14 of 26 for 153 yards, surpassing the 4,000-yard mark in his career in just 22 games, the second fastest pace for a Cowboys quarterback behind Mike Gundy.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Re: Looking ahead to OSU

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:01 am

They sound a little scary, I admit.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:54 am

Look for OSU to be about a 24 pt favorite, even here in Dallas. I'm afraid we are looking at another mis-match. I just hope our guys can compete in their home opener and it doesn't get ugly like it did last year in Stillwater.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:21 am

I'm almost sorry I bought tickets for this game. SMU will get creamed.

Oh well - we have UTEP coming down the pike. yippppeeee

[This message has been edited by SMUstang (edited 09-14-2003).]
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:33 pm

Maybe we should look past OSU? At least that could be an excuse.

This kind of seems like last year after getting creamed by Navy 38 - 7, and then playing Tech. Maybe OSU will think all they have to do is put in an appearance. That would be pretty easy to do after beating Southwest Missouri State Teachers College A&M 42-3 yesterday, and being up 45-0 against us at halftime last year.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football