PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Time to re-think \"The Committment\"?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Time to re-think \"The Committment\"?

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:47 am

It is official, this team is terrible! The football program looks worse than it has in the last 14 seasons after the DP. Those Tom Rossley lead teams of the early 90's would destroy our current team.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Time to re-think \"The Committment\"?

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:04 pm

Yeah, I think you're right. Our 89 team would whip our current team. Tom Rossley was a great offensive coordinator, and a good head coach. Don't know why Copeland fired him after going 5-6 with a couple more close games that could've have made it a 7-4 year.

We've been sliding downhill ever since Cavan was hired. Seems like Cavan didn't play our most productive QB ever, Ramon Flanigan, much until the 5th or 6th game of Cavan's first year here. Cavan was an idiot, and destroyed our QB's confidence by starting, and then yanking them after a couple bad series.

Maybe Bennett can turn this around, but he needs to get rid of his Offensive Coordinator Edmondson. Didn't Forrest Gregg
fire Edmondson after a dismal offense in 1990 that receivers running wrong routes all the time, and general overall ineptitude?
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Time to re-think \"The Committment\"?

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:23 pm

I agree the offense is looking (or in my case, sounding) horrible. And maybe Edmundson deserves some of the blame. But I think it's hard to be anything but conservative in your play-calling when your quarterback looks like he would screw up a two-car funeral. It's a chicken or egg type thing, or a catch-22. Is the offense ineffective because the play-calling is unimaginative? Or are we giving it to KK every first down because the coaches (perhaps understandably) have no confidence in our inexperienced QB's ability to put the ball where it needs to be and make overall good decisions? To me, the latter scenario seems more realistic. If he's consistently throwing behind receivers, or if many of them are dropping the ball, etc., on run-of-the-mill plays, I can understand why a coordinator might be hesitant to pull out the razzledazzlenambypamby.

That said, our defense looked really, really tough in this game. Kudos to Gush and all the guys playing their hearts out and getting after people. The special teams play so far, however, is consistently killing us. Where's the coverage? Protection? would have been nice to make that 38-yarder. We could have had an overtime thriller "pillow fight" on our hands.

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 09-14-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football