PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Johnny speaks....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Johnny speaks....

Postby Johnny Rock » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:33 pm

The Baylor game was disappointing, because we had a great chance to win the game. However, many of the posts that Johnny has read after the game has equally disappointed Johnny. Stallion had a great point in a previous post when he noted that Baylor has attracted better players than SMU over the last ten years in large part due to their affiliation with the Big 12. This will change and Baylor will never out recruit us again as long as Bennett is our coach. Also remember that Baylor has several Juco players that SMU would not admit into the school and Juco's are a large part of N. Texas' success. They also barely beat us at home with a more experienced QB. Bennett is a great coach as well as a recruiter. He has coached at several top programs. Bad coaches do not become defensive coordinators at top 20 programs. For those of you who are doubting his coaching, remember he does not throw passes, catch footballs, or tackle. He can only do so much. Give him a few years to bring in better players before bashing his ability to coach. Johnny wants everyone to remember that some of our best players our being reshirted this year. Johnny also believes Bartell will make a good quarterback. Last year against La. Tech he was outstanding. However, his receivers have dropped too many passes this year. We would have beat Baylor if our receivers would not have dropped so many passes. The future is bright for SMU football. We almost beat a Big 12 team on the road. That is a start. We have several quality recruits committed to us for next year. Jessie Henderson, a committed recruit, led all area rushers in yards. He rushed for more yards than Adrian Peterson, the top recruit in the nation. Now that excites Johnny! Despite the wins or losses this year, Bennet will still get better players than what we have. Please give him time and be patient. We need to stay positive and rally behind our team. Johnny says "Rise up Mustang Nation, because we are going to kick OSU's [deleted] next week! Go Mustangs!!!!!" Johnny hopes to see everyone next week in red and blue and please remember to bring your cans of whoop [deleted] to open up on the Cowboys!
Johnny Rock

Re: Johnny speaks....

Postby OldPony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:51 pm

If you think Baylor is a Big 12 caliber football team, you're nuts. They will win against Sam Houston. Not another win this year. They were beaten by UAB and humiliated by UNT. Does that sound like a Big 12 tyeam to you? SMU's football sucks in every way. Bennett won't win with good athletes if he coaches special teams like that disgusting performance last night.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PK » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:07 pm

Well OldPony, there is coaching and then there is execution by the players. You are awfully quick to lay the blame at the coaches' feet without having been to any of the practices or team meetings. Without ripping off redshirts left and right, I'm not sure we have much to offer as replacements for the players currently on the field. So unless they improve their performances, you can probably coach until you are blue in the face and it isn't going to make much difference.

This goes for the offense too. Bartel may yet prove to be the second coming, but he isn't there yet. Yes, his receivers have to catch the ball, but when you have a guy wide open with no one else around him, you have to get the ball to him. We are not doing a good job in either one of those areas. As much as we all hate the conservative play calling, there may very well be a good reason for it. Most of the times last night when we tried to open it up some, the results did us more harm than good. As some one once said, "When you pass the ball, three things can happen and two of them are bad." We seem to be seeing too much of the two bad things that can happen. I suspect it is the same thing in practice...hence the conservative game plan.

BTW, kuddos to the defense for their performance last night.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:11 pm

I actually like the game plan. We run more than we pass beacause we do it better. It isn't talent to know when to catch a punt and when not to.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:19 pm

and people like you are the same people who used to jump on Mike Cavan when our punter dropped three deep snaps-earning Mike Cavan the undisputed title of Worst Deep Snap Receiving Coach in America. "If we could just get a Head Coach who could motivate the Boys...."
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Ponymon » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:23 pm

Tell that 3 things joke again. Miami laughs all the way to the HOUSE (touchdown) everytime they hear it. You HAVE to throw or its 3 and out every time. SMU goes against 8 and 9 men in the box daring us to throw because they KNOW we can't or won't. I like throwing on first down. It doesn't have to be long, but if it is completed it gives the D something to think about. Not throwing puts more pressure on our offensive line when the D knows we have to throw!

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 09-14-2003).]
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:28 pm

Last night on at least two of our three and out possesions, we tried to pass on all three downs...want to try that three things can happen routine again. What I said was that we were having too many of the two bad things happening...and in case you haven't noticed, we aren't Miami...at least not yet.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:32 pm

we have a team full of possession receivers-you can not watch college football and tell me that SMU has anything but marginal Division 1A receivers with the exception of Chris Cunningham who is recovering from a serious injury. We have ZERO home-run threats on this team. Kelon Kincade is perhaps the hardest working player on the team but has a Fullback style and mentality lined up at tailback. One point that hasn't been mentioned is that Bennett because of his defensive background has choosen to move some of the few real athletes like Anthony Barnett and Fred Turner to CB when their speed and athleticism could really be utilized on offense. Until we get those kind of athletes in the lineup across the offense we will struggle on offense. PERIOD.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Ponymon » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:45 pm

PK - I can't tell you how many times when ran on first, ran on second, and 3rd and ten we had to pass on third! No reverse, no misdirection. I thought Swann was going to have a heart attack calling the Kincade left for 1 yard, right 1 yard. Where is the imagination on offense. By the way, I am tired of talking about the future. I buy 6 season tickets and give more than $1K to the Mustang Club, which I expect is a hell of a lot more than a lot of other posters out on this board. I expect SOMETHING for my money THIS year, not 3 years from now!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:10 pm

Ponymon, I feel your pain (I know ...that's a Clinton line), but I do. I purchase 4 season tickets every year and although I'm not able to match your Mustang Club giving level, I give in the "Mustang" level spread.

I have to believe that based upon practice performance, the coaches are designing their game plan to fit what this team is capable of doing with the least chance of screwing up. Turnovers have killed us in the past and until the coaches believe that that aspect of the game is under control, they are going to continue a conservative type game plan.

Interestingly enough, I think Baylor was using the same concept for the same reasons. If you look at the game stats, it is remarkable how closely the stats mirror the two teams. The outcome of the game was ultimately determined by who had the least number of screw ups.

I have to agree with Stallion, that although we may have a few stud upperclassmen the majority are not at the same level you will find at Texas and other ranked teams. Having said that, I will always support the players that are giving it every thing they have. Some times desire and heart will go along way to compensate for short givings. Most importantly is that we the fans need to be there to help these kids maintain their desire and have a reason to play their hearts out.
PK

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:24 pm

Stallion,

While I agree with you that Bennett is moving some of the athletic guys to corner, that is out of nessesity too! Right now we have all slot receivers, barnet at 5'9 gives you another and Fred Turner is no giant either...
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:58 pm

Oh I know it is-you can't run Bennett's defense without superlatives at CB-I was just pointing out that we need that type of athlete at the WRs spots as well. I'll let the coaches make those decisions because some great athletes have brick hands-although I hoped Turner could make the transition to a Receiver position because I think he is a home-run threat.

Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OldPony:
<B>If you think Baylor is a Big 12 caliber football team, you're nuts. They will win against Sam Houston. Not another win this year. They were beaten by UAB and humiliated by UNT. Does that sound like a Big 12 tyeam to you? SMU's football sucks in every way. Bennett won't win with good athletes if he coaches special teams like that disgusting performance last night.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam Houston State will upset Baylor next weekend in Waco.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:58 pm

Oh god, I know thats your alma mater, but if Mr. Positive is that confident after having watched his Stangs lose to Baylor, it must be really bad. How bad does SMU look if Baylor loses to 1-AA school?
Hoop Fan

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>Oh god, I know thats your alma mater, but if Mr. Positive is that confident after having watched his Stangs lose to Baylor, it must be really bad. How bad does SMU look if Baylor loses to 1-AA school?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoop Fan: After what I saw in Waco on Saturday, I believe that Sam Houston could defeat either SMU or Baylor. I still love my Mustangs.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Return to Football