PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My observations at last night's game...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My observations at last night's game...

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:07 pm

I went to the game last night; section SS, row 28, don't know if anyone on here was around me...

First of all, let me start by saying that I thought it was a good, solid turnout from the SMU alumni and students. Our section was loud and a lot of fun. I had a great time!

Now for my observations:

OFFENSE:
- Before the game, I told my parents and those around me that SMU would be running to the right side most of the game. We had a solid weight advantage there, and it also happened to be where our experienced linemen were playing. Most of our success running came in that direction. By the end of the game, Baylor had their entire defense lined up over there (extra LBs and safteys). It was pretty funny.

- Unfortunately, we lack a playmaker on offense, and it is going to hurt us all year. We don't have any true "burners" out there. Kincaid was caught from behind in the backfield by DTs a couple of times. He is a solid back, but doesn't have that "burst". We may have come close on a couple of deep balls, but there just wasn't any separation.

- Our first 4 receivers are "slot" receivers. All are 5'10 and under. This lack of size severely hampers the passing game, because you basically have to take out routes and deep balls out of the packages. Everybody runs a slant or a WR screen, and it isn't a coaching problem, it is a size issue. Let me give an example. In the second quarter, we were driving. Baylor's safties came up the entire drive and jammed the line (within 5 yards of scrimmage). We were running a formation the entire drive (and most of the game) with two WRs to the weak side of the field, two backs, and a tight end. As I told the folks I was with, in this formation, with the saftey up, the inside reciever is open on a post route. Sure enough, the call is made - playaction post. Rushbrook, lined up as the inside receiver, runs about 4 yards down field, and tries to break inside on the post. However, the corner knew exactly what was happening, and used his size advantage to jam Rushbrook to the outside. Great play, and Rushbrook never got anywhere on his pattern. Bartel was looking for it to be opened, tried to wait until Rushbrook freed up, then got pressure and had to fire the ball to the outside reciever at the last second off of his back foot, and threw too short. This is an example of the right call being made, but not having the personel who can complete the play.

- The line played solid I thought. The corners were very physical and bumped us off our routes, but I thought the line did a solid job in protecting Bartel.

- I was also pleased with Bartel's decision making. I thought he made the right decisions, except for one play when he cunningham was wide open deep and he threw to a different receiver. The INT he threw it looked like he thought the receiver would run a hook and the receiver cut inside.

- In the first half, there was another big play after the Mustangs were already up 7 -0. They were driving, and called a pass play. Bartel scrambled right, and threw against the grain to Warren, and it was just outside of his reach. There was nobody on that side of the field, and it would have been a TD. Initially it looked like the pass was off, but my dad pointed out that Bartel threw it where Warren should have been, further to Bartel's left and on the run away from the LBs. In fact, the same play was called later in the game, and it was completed. That time, Warren was in the right place, caught it on the run and made a decent gain, running across the field.

- Cunningham had a very, very rough game. I love the guy, and he has done a lot for SMU, it was just one bad game. But the dropped pass on the first drive and the punt off the shoulder - ouch...

DEFENSE:

- Wonderful game defensively, I think anyone who keeps our LBs on the field is going to struggle if they are a run based offense. I think we may do well defensively against Nevada, Rice, SJS, UTEP, and even Fresno.

- On the line, Adami is a stud. He is a real playmaker. I was very impressed with his game. All over the place and constantly causing a push on the inside.

- I also thought Bonds had an oustanding game. He played terrificly and will be a great pairing with Adami the rest of the year. Karrington was good off the bench. We look to be deeper at DT than we have been in a while (surprising to me). I am looking forward to see how they do in the future.

- As a whole I thought the line performed pretty darn well. Good pushes, there were only certain plays where the QB had way too much time. Of course, a lot of this was because the coaches did an OUTSTANDING job with their blitz packages. Really, a well coached defensive effort.

- Elsewhere, Bichoff was awesome. Great player. Rutledge made some outstanding plays. The saftey play was even pretty good. DD Lee is a good backer against the run, but really, really struggles against the pass with his awareness. On the TD drive, he got yelled at by Harris for being out of position on the big pass play.

- In the second half, the Mustangs showed a lot of fatigue signs from being on the field too long due to an inept offense. Missed tackles and facemask calls are evidence of that. None of that happened in the first half, but it was all over in the second.

- The biggest play of the game, in my mind was on the TD drive for baylor. They had 1st and goal from the 12 after a false start. Mustangs have 4 players around the QB for a sack on that play, and it should have been 2nd and goal from about the 25. Which on this night, Baylor doesn't get. however, one of them grabs a facemask, and all of a sudden it is first and goal from the 5. That was a bad, bad play because there were 4 other ponies standing around to make the tackle if that guy had missed, so no reason to grab the mask.

SPECIAL TEAMS

- Punting - Mentzal did a great job at the beginning when we were pinning them back in their own zone. After that - awful. Horrible, horrible kicks.

- Punt coverage - horrible

- kickoff coverage - outstanding. McMurtray did a great job of putting it in the endzone and the coverage was good, even though we were blocked int he back several times.

- field goals. Okay, during half time McMurtray comes out to practice. I don't know if anyone else watched, but he was awful. All over the place. Pushing it wide, pulling it wide. He even had a 37 yard kick that bounced short. He missed his last 4 kicks, including the short one. Before the missed field goal, I told my dad, no way he makes this after that practice went. Sure enough, pushes it wide left.

OVERALL

I said before the game that it would come down to who screwed up the least. And that is why Baylor won the game.

That said, we screwed up a ton. And it is a testament to our defense that through all of the missed tackles, stupid penalties, missed field goals, blocked punts, turnovers, and dropped passes that we were still in the game at the end. Those guys really worked their butts off and should be rewarded. Just a couple of less screwups, and the Mustangs pull this one out. And that is something you can work on in practice and iron out. The mustangs were definately NOT outskilled on the evening or outcoached. They just messed up a lot more than Baylor did.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My observations at last night's game...

Postby WildHorse » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:13 pm

Fantastic analysis! Keep it up. And thanks for finding some positives in a rather depressing result.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:50 pm

Thanks for the detailed analysis and info. Something most people don't that the time to post or are aware enough to.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:13 pm

JasonB, you hit it RIGHT ON. Perfect analysis.

I have been impressed with the defense, and after reading a lot of the analysis on here, my confidence in Bartel is restored. Now I'll turn my anger on the WR's, even though they probably don't deserve it either Image

I think whats happening is, more talent is being shifted to the defense, and on defense, there is more talent and always has been more talent anyway. These kids are playing their butts off, and we matched up well against Baylor. Offense is key, unfortunately.. and I think it will be Bartel's senior season before we really have any threats at WR, if even then.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football