PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rossley had less talent...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rossley had less talent...

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:05 pm

Again, I am not saying that Rossley ever had great teams, but he recruited right after the death penalty and did a pretty good job if you look back at how those coaches who followed him have done. Also, my point to Grapevine Mustang was that Rossley's teams were better than today's, and that again is not a rip on Bennett b/c he needs more time to build HIS team. I would be happy with 5-6 or 6-5 at this point, or do your consider that horrible. And, again are you forgetting that the majority of Rossley's teams competed in the SWC right after the death penalty as opposed to the POWDER-PUFF WAC. You have to take competition into account, which you are not doing.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:10 pm

Peruna,

The 3 guys you just listed are great players, but they would not have been All-SWC or NFL. You guys are forgetting that those other guys played against real football teams in the SWC, not the WAC; and when they did move to the WAC they won 5 or 6 football games, not 2 or 3 (and that was the WAC with BYU, Air Force, etc..)
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:16 pm

yeah they played and lost about 85% of the games they played in the SWC. The only decent season Rossley put together in the SWC was when he had 35 seniors most of which 4 year lettermen or starters.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-15-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:23 pm

Once again Stallion, when they did move to the WAC in 96 and 97 they won 5 and 6 games as opposed to 3, and against a much tougher WAC. I am not trying to trash today's team, I am just saying that there is no way they would have beat an SMU team from 92, 96, or 97. Some people believe are crazy to believe that we are better TODAY(not 2 years from now b/c hopefully Bennett's recruting will have paid off) than were were in those years.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:27 pm

also, the roster lineup I gave you were not any guys on the sidelines, they were all players who started during the '96 season.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> .... The only decent season Rossley put together in the SWC was when he had 35 seniors most of which 4 year lettermen or starters. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is exactly what Bennett would like to do, if we will just allow him the time to do so.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:31 pm

Peruna,

If the talent is lightyears ahead and we are playing much worse teams, how can we not be winning? (unless you are talking about freshman on the sidelines waiting their turn, but we will have to wait to judge that)
woodsnwater
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football