PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rossley had less talent...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rossley had less talent...

Postby SkipJones » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:31 pm

There's a lot of talk on this board about Rossley having more to work with by recruiting in the SWC. That's not true at all. His recruits were terrible. He was competing with North Texas State and other Divisions 1-AAs for players. He was just a great coach and made these guys into good players. Too bad Rossley doesn't have any interest in returning here.
SkipJones

Re: Rossley had less talent...

Postby WildHorse » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:35 pm

Rossley was a nice man, but too nice/soft. Coach Bennett is the right man for the job - you have to afford him the patience you'd allow for any other coach building a program.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:24 pm

When you have someone NICE who can get you to do the things you need to do without getting in your face you know you've got a GREAT coach.

Had one in junior high just out of college. We went 8-0-1, and won district. Last time I heard, a few months ago, he was AD at SFASU.

Rossley was an offensive coordinator who followed Forrest Gregg from the PRO ranks if I remember right. You sure could tell it during that first season back from the death penalty. The play calling, and time management during those 4th quarter drives
to beat UConn with talent that wasn't supposed to win a game in 3 years still amazes me when I watch the video of that game.

They could move the ball some against anyone that year. Mike Romo's numbers will testify to that. Bet Cavan would've benched Romo before we came back against UConn.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:45 pm

You are right about one thing-he did have less talent-probably because he was one of the worst recruiters in SWC History.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:47 pm

I don't agree that Rossely had less talent. In fact, Cavan's only winning season was with Rossely's players. We haven't had a quarterback like Ramon, who terrified defenses with his ability to run or pass, since the death penalty. Or Rossely's own son, Mick, who was great going over the middle for 10 or 15 yards whenever that was what was needed for a first down. Rossely ran the run and shoot offense. An offense that gave a team with less talent a chance to win against one with a lot of talent. Seems to me we would be doing better now with such an offense.

I'll bet that any of Rossely's teams could beat any of Cavan's or Bennett's teams any day. I hope and pray that it is true that Bennett's red shirts will save the day. But I've seen too much talent go away or not be utilized properly at SMU.

[This message has been edited by SMUstang (edited 09-14-2003).]
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMUstang:
<B>I'll bet that any of Rossely's teams could beat any of Cavan's or Bennett's teams any day. I hope and pray that it is true that Bennett's red shirts will save the day. But I've seen too much talent go away or not be utilized properly at SMU.

[This message has been edited by SMUstang (edited 09-14-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. No way Coach Rossley's teams beat Coach Bennett's boys -- coaching aside, the new version is bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

2. When Coach Bennett's redshirts are juniors and seniors, a lot of PonyFans will deny ever having had this conversation - because SMU will be a winning team.

3. The charge that too many players have left an done well elsewhere is an indictment of previous coaches, not the current regime.

And most importantly:
GO PONIES!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:58 pm

I sure hope you are right. But I'd love to see some (just a glimpse) of evidence. Baylor should have been beatable. UNT creamed them. Guess we're not in the same class as UNT.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:14 pm

"Guess we're not in the same class as UNT"

Not guess, UNT would kick the Cr@p out of SMU.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:29 pm

Grapevine Mustang you're insane:

1996 notables:
Defense
Craig Swann- All-SWC, ALL-WAC
Chris Bordano- All-WAC, NFL
Jacoby Rhinehart- NFL
Donald Mitchell- NFL

Offense:
O-line: Brannon Kidd, Keith Chiles, Trey Bandy, Austin Adami, Jerry Chavira, Jason Holz

QB Ramon Flanigan- all time yards leader
RB Donte Womack- great back in the Run and Shoot
WR- Albert Johnson, NFL
WR- Kevin Thornal, spent two seasons on NFL practice squads
WR- Jimmy Moore, transferred to UMASS after Cavan arrived and was Div I-AA player of the year

Now WHO WOULD WIN??
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:36 pm

if they were so great how come they won 1 game in 1995-I'll tell you why -Ramon Flanigan made Rossley look somewhat competent.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:40 pm

1 game b/c they were playing in the SWC and playing good teams week in and week out, not to mention UCLA and Wisconsin

in 1996 the same team moved to the WAC and went 5-6, then 6-5 in Cavan's first year in 1997

is that good enough explanation Stallion??
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Lefty » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:41 pm

Tell 'em, Stallion!

[This message has been edited by Lefty (edited 09-15-2003).]
Lefty
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:46 pm

look all you've done is look over a roster and pick out the stars who were good during some point during that period. I hate to tell you but TCU had 10 players drafted into the NFL in one year a few years ago. SMU and especially Tom Rossley had less players drafted and make it to the NFL than every single other program in this state-so you maybe impressed by your list-I'm not. SMU has proven on the field that they were overmatched. Finally, I'd point out that almost without exception just none of those players were highly recruited. Congrats on finding some sleepers but when you recruit a team full of sleepers like Tom Rossley did you generally finish in the cellar where is where you could find the majority of Rossley's teams.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-15-2003).]

Stallion

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:51 pm

Stallion,

Did you miss the original point of my statement, I was informing Grapevine Stang that this current team could not beat a former Rossley team. It is not Bennett's fault, b/c he has not been here long enough to HIS team. I never said Rossley's teams were not top 20.

And by the way, give me a handful of under-recruited overachievers like Ramon, Bordano, Swann, Mitchell, Rhinehart and Thornal any day.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:56 pm

where did those handful of sleepers get you? Look there were at least 80 sleepers on SMU's roster when Rossley was recruiting. Even the clock is right twice a day. You are right there are some good players on that list but the fact they still had a horrible record even with so many sleeper gems proves my point-that good recruiting is essential to building a program-and outrecruiting another Texas school for a prized recruit is something Rossley rarely did. .

Stallion

Next

Return to Football