PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Seriously, whats the point .......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Seriously, whats the point .......

Postby i10pony » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:45 pm

of having this football program around. During my 4 1/2 years at SMU this program has been a source of dissent,discontent, apathy, and acrimony among students, alumni,faculty,and the administration. And I see all of these problems continuing with out any end. All of the positive posters on this board are preaching give Bennet time. The problem is we live in a society that expects immediate results. The landscape of college sports has changed if you don't win with some regularity the end of your program might be the result especially with the private schools.(SEE TULANE) When I see schools like TCU,& Hawaii,go from 1-10 seasons to winning records and bowl games the next season I say why can't that be SMU.
I feel bad for you old school guys that saw SMU contend for the national championship,Heisman Trophy winner Doalk Walker, big time bowl games,and All- SWC and All-American players.
I went to the game yesterday it was my first time attending a game as an alum and I was sitting with some old timers and at the end of the game you could see the despair and dissapointment in their eyes. I was honestly sad for them. I really feel bad for the Hunt family and Gerald Ford these guys have given so much money to keep SMU in D-1. I think they wasted their money. I know all of you guys are going to be pissed about my opinion.This program should be shutdown or dropped to 1-AA,D-II,orD-III.Look at Harvard,Yale,Penn,U of Chicago, Santa Clara, Fordham and other schools. These schools were once players on the national scene like SMU. They dropped football or went 1AA or D-III. They realized that big time football was not in their university's best interest.These schools are also among the finest in the world. SMU isn't in their league academically. I think that SMU would be best served by going this route. I didn't come to SMU because of the football team. I came to SMU because it's in a cool city ,it's small clases, and solid academics.I know some of you guys might have come here because of the gridiron glory SMU had achieved. You old school guys are letting your egos get in the way of rational thinking.The university should use these resources to make SMU one of the elite schools in America not on a program that is barely D-1. I would like to know from one of you why this porgram should be around. Please give me some solid reasons?I'm out.Late.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Seriously, whats the point .......

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:16 pm

I knew none of you guys would answer this post.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:19 pm

I have followed SMU football since 77 - this combination of athletic director and coach is the best we have had - have patience for two more years and you will see some good stuff.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:34 pm

i agree 'gostangs'!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by i10pony:
<B>I knew none of you guys would answer this post.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"
- Groundskeeper Willie
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:42 pm

MizterTea,
That's the best response I've seen on this topic. Where did you get that pic? Ebaum's world?
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:56 pm

I'll give you one solid reason: I hate the Dallas Cowboys!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>I'll give you one solid reason: I hate the Dallas Cowboys!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Mustang ain't no foo' - I KNEW there was a reason to like you sucka !

------------------
- Groundskeeper Willie
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:11 pm

Mr. Mustang,

I hate the Dallas Cowboys too. I probably I hate them more than you. I hate to say it but Da Boys are more watchable than the Mustangs.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:47 pm

You've got to be kidding. Da Boys are way over rated and the only thing fun about watching them is the Ca Girls.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby 78pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:59 pm

i10pony, maybe you are just a bit removed or out of touch. My 1.5 hours with Gerald Turner in Lubbock and a couple of hours with 2 Dallas Trustees last week absolutely convinced me that we must stay Div 1 and there is no waivering...we WILL stay D1. The feedback I got from our camp was emotionally stated and emphatic. A visit with a couple of BU VIP's before the game Saturday was almost identical in content and emotion. There are schools and parts of the country where dropping down a level would not negatively influence where the University is going, where it has been, who is giving money and why, etc. SMU is NOT one of those. Nor is Baylor. My guess is that if you will pop in at Pekins Admin building some day, and if he has a moment, Dr. T would be happy to comment on your thoughts.
78pony
Heisman

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>You've got to be kidding. Da Boys are way over rated and the only thing fun about watching them is the Ca Girls.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
- Groundskeeper Willie
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:47 pm

78pony,

How would dropping football to a lower level or eliminating it effect the direction of where SMU wants to be in terms of it's national prestige and academic quality? Are you saying alums won't give money to SMU if we don't have football? Will it be difficult for SMU to attract and retain a quality student body without big time football? Will quality faculty and administrators leave or not want to come to SMU because there is a lower division football team on campus. Just some questions I have.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Southland » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by i10pony:
<B>78pony,

How would dropping football to a lower level or eliminating it effect the direction of where SMU wants to be in terms of it's national prestige and academic quality? Are you saying alums won't give money to SMU if we don't have football? Will it be difficult for SMU to attract and retain a quality student body without big time football? Will quality faculty and administrators leave or not want to come to SMU because there is a lower division football team on campus. Just some questions I have.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. even lower # of applications; the acceptance rate is already out of control, and buries the university's reputation below its academic quality

2. yes, it would drastically effect the amount of money generated by the Mustang Club, meaning the athletic department would probably operate at a deficit. Compare the money raised in football seasons to the money raised in 1987 and 1988, and you'll have no doubt it makes a huge difference.

3. same question as #1, you're just asking it a different way

4. no

------------------
Dropping football is a silly, spoiled-brat suggestion to begin with: "I'm not winning, so I don't want to play."

SMU athletics don't have the financial troubles of other universities (including several in the BCS), so cutting programs isn't a viable strategy. If anything, SMU will be adding athletic programs, by turning current club teams into varisty programs.
Southland
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:35 pm

For what it is worth, TCU's number of applications went up considerably after their football program took off and started winning and going to bowl games.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Next

Return to Football