PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lets go wishbone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lets go wishbone

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:38 pm

Stallion, even you were singing the praises of Matt Rushbrook not long ago, about what a great scrimmage he had the week before Tech or something. Same with Comet. Now, after last night they are the only problem? I guess we are just so used to poor offensive line play that we ignore it or forget about. Lets see now: we have no receivers and a weak pass protecting oline. Sounds like we gotta run the option or else handoff to Kincaid 50 times a game instead of 30. Can Bartel run the option?

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 09-14-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Lets go wishbone

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:07 pm

An option attack requires even better blocking ability. We also don't have an Earl Campbell fullback which is essential.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>An option attack requires even better blocking ability. We also don't have an Earl Campbell fullback which is essential.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Earl Campbell was not a fullback
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:13 pm

I like our 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense. OSU better be ready. We are a terror running to the right. They better be ready for our under 10 yard pass plays too. Prediction: SMU 10, OSU 9.
Nacho

Postby i10pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:57 pm

Hoop Fan,

I think we should go option too. The stength of this team is it's RBs. Actually I think any team in the country with talent issues should run the option or spread/run and shoot offense. Its the only way programs with inferior talent can compete with the big boys.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:47 pm

Yeah, great idea. We should waste a great QB in Richard Bartel in favor of Tate Wallis and the option.

Brilliance!
or somesuch.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:33 pm

obviously we aren't going wishbone overnight, it just illustrates the problems we have offensively right now. And besides, was Tate Wallis offered a scholarship by Arkansas like Chris Phillips? Look, there is NO qb controversy here right now, but qbs win jobs based on how the offense performs, not just on how they throw the ball. Its not like that for any other position, except qb. Nobody said it was fair. I happen to think we need a running threat and escape artist at qb for at least the next two years. I know this is unpopular, but if Phillips is the future anyway after Bartel graduates, and he gives the mobility we need now....its not as absurd as you think. I'll bet its crossed Bennetts mind. There are times in college that freshmen can play, especially in the WAC. Having said that, I am still high on Bartels ability and swagger. He is just not the style qb that can succeed without protection.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 09-15-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby Ponymon » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:57 pm

Hoopfan, You said a mouthfull and I agree wholeheartedly. I love the way Bartel can throw the ball, if he has time. However, I want to win and the option may be the best way to do it for us. Lance McElhaney couldn't throw either (Or he wasn't allowed to by Bobby Collins) but he won almost every game he started! If Phillips gives us our best chance to win, then maybe he should be given a chance. By the way, what has happened with Nixon? I thought he could run. And what has happened to Vinson. Lemming rated him a 4 star recruit at quarterback when he came out of high school?
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:07 am

Actually, Campbell played the front position in the bone in the games I saw against SMU. That means he was the "fullback". He also weighed a ton in addition to being fast. Of course that was only his freshman and sophomore year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football