PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Since I am apparently the village idiot tonight...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Since I am apparently the village idiot tonight...

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:46 pm

here's an off the wall suggestion. Hire Randy Allen from Highland Park as O Coordinator. That team is aggressive, well coached and the offense is dynamic. In their second game they were running plays we wont see all season for some reason. Watch them and you will quickly be impressed. Now I happen to think having a competive Oline lets you open your offense up, but I guess I'm crazy. If Houston can hire Art Briles to be head coach 1 year removed from Stephenville, its not too absurd to think of Allen as OC at SMU. He's our savior. Wink wink.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Since I am apparently the village idiot tonight...

Postby Sic_em » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:01 am

Art put in a couple of years as RB coach at Texas Tech between his Stephenville and UH gigs.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:13 am

Randy Allen is not the answer. Nice guy, I gather, but not the answer. Let's not abandon our current coaching staff just yet.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby hpfan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:12 pm

The answer is not a change in coaching but if the playbook is not expanded then maybe so. There can be no doubt Bennett saw what the offense was'nt. Even HP has recievers that are of different sizes. Randy Allen knows you have to have larger targets for the QB to be effective. HP also platoons their running backs to keep them fresh and motivated..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:36 pm

I saw Coppell beat Duncanville (#10 in the state) on Friday night. Duncanville has so much more talent than Coppell that it's not even funny. Coppell has a couple of d-1 players, such as Pratt at RB and the O-lineman going to Oklahoma but overall D'ville on paper should have killed them. How does Coppell do it? They are innovative and very clever on offense. They play with tremendous heart getting every ounce out of their abilities. In short they do everything SMU doesn't. SMU to the right, SMU to the right, SMU passes, repeat. How do teams possibly defend us?
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football