PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chill OUT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chill OUT

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:01 am

I think everyone needs to take a GIANT chill pill and realize that we have 2 more recruiting classes before you can even judge Bennett.

I would LIKE to be competitive this year, I think we can still win 5 games...5-7 is respectable...I would expect an improvement to a winning season in 2004, but then I expect to see a definite winning team challenging for the WAC in 2005 and 2006, with retribution to avenge the TTech losses.

We have to meet that goal first and foremost.

When we begin to win, our recruiting will improve markedly, and we will be able to sustain. Bennett has been recruiting and managing his players for the LONG TERM, not the short term quick fix (a la Cavan).

EVERYONE needs to realize that the Committment to winning was a change in policy AWAY from our self-imposed rediculous barrier to winning...and that policy JUST occured. We have had ONLY two classes under the new policy, and really only ONE class where BENNETT was responsible for getting his coaching staff roots into the high school ranks.

We already have a few nice recruits for this year and next.

I saw a competitive team on Saturday night, and a game that was SMUs to win. We made stupid mistakes, but the defense was MARKEDLY improved, our DLine played extremely well against a HUGE Baylor OL. We dominated. Check out the average class for that DLine...two true fresh played in that game...Adami is still only a JR. The DEs are RS-Soph or RS-FR...we are going to be set for the next three years if they continue to improve.

Realize that SMUs receivers are all nice receivers, any one of which (starters) probably would play significantly on bigger teams...but they are ALL 5'9ish, and that is NOT good. But those are the cards we were dealt this season. They were wide open on 3-4 plays and Bartel just didn't get the ball there.

Stay the course, and calm down. We are already improved over the TECH game...we are a VERY young team. The DMNews pointed out that Baylor beat a mostly freshman team. This is true, and we will prevail in a few years...

Yes, it sucks, because I want the 5-0 CAL start last year, the 10-1 NWestern team, the 1-10 to 6-5 TCU team...but, all of those teams had better talent to start with, and it takes time to turn this around.

Unless you are giving to the Mustang Club in the 1,000s or 10,000s, then I really think you all need to chill out and cut your criticism. If you are giving that much, then you realize that we are about to turn this corner and that is why you are giving money.

[This message has been edited by GoRedGoBlue (edited 09-15-2003).]
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Chill OUT

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:09 am

Win 5 games this year. Just who do you think we will beat? I see maybe UTEP, maybe Tulsa, and maybe Rice. I don't see anyone else on our schedule we have much of a chance against.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:51 am

Nobody thought we had a chance against LaTech last year, either.

GoRedGoBlue should be writing PR for the school - that was well said.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Sic_em » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:15 am

GoRedGoBlue,

Our huge OL is nothing special at this point. Very weak on depth, so much so that three true freshman are getting significant playing time there and a former walk-on is one of the starters. We lost two of our starters to season-ending injuries before the season even began.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:11 am

Baylor had the HUGE OL...

Yes, our OL is nothing special, yet. But, as you pointed out, we are playing several Fresh, RS-Fresh now, which will pay dividends later.

Patience is a virtue, this team is getting better. Don't underestimate how far the QB situation set us back last year...Bennett had to play freshmen with no experience, which admittedly will pay off next year, but hurt us last year in what the ENTIRE offense could practice.

Let's judge this team after 8 games, and not after wins and losses this year, they are in fact playing hard.

Let's judge Bennett in 2004 for improvements over this year and recruiting class, and in 2005 for Wins/Losses.

That is what is fair.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:24 am

New prediction: we barely beat UTEP for our one and only victory of the season. I think I give the school plenty of money to say that. When did giving money become a criterion for having an opinion? Typical SMU. Okie blows past SMU by any score they want to name. Since they have class they will probably limit their margin to about 50.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:52 am

They only beat SW Missouri State 38-7 in Stillwater this weekend. We oughtta make a better showing than 1-AA SWMSU shouldnt we? Good grief.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:53 am

it was 45-7.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> it was 45-7.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"
- Groundskeeper Willie
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Return to Football