PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Copeland still here?!?!?!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Copeland still here?!?!?!

Postby SkipJones » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:40 pm

How has Copeland lasted this long? Football isn't going very well. We're going to get killed in bball this year.
SkipJones

Re: Copeland still here?!?!?!

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:10 pm

I'm not defending Copeland at all but why do you say that we are going to get killed in basketball this year??
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Southland » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SkipJones:
<B>How has Copeland lasted this long? Football isn't going very well. We're going to get killed in bball this year.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because SMU is the #41 school in the Sears Cup standings, runs a balanced budget, maintains a top tier standing for graduation rates, has built a tremendous facility, and increased corporate sponsorships during his tenure.

It certainly isn’t Copeland’s fault that the 8 MWC schools left the WAC, and an un-timely probation kept us out of CUSA in 1999 (just as it did Marshall in ’01).

The restrictions that were (and to a lesser extent now, are) imposed on our coaches for recruiting were put in place long before Copeland came to SMU, and ultimately, it will be up to the Board to repeal them completely.

All in all, Jim has done a tremendous job, considering the fixed units he is forced to play with. I’m just as frustrated as anyone else at our lack of success on the football field, but that has been an issue of talent, not athletic department leadership.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:23 pm

Copeland IS still here, and it's a good thing for us that he is. He understands that developing a football team takes time. He understands that no matter how talented our new freshmen are, they are still that -- freshmen. He understands that they need time to grow and mature, and that Coach Bennett is laying the groundwork for a successful future. Copeland is a major asset to the school.

Postby Texan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:40 pm

SMU will never win in the major men's sports as long as Copeland is AD. I know several people from Virginia where Copeland used to be the AD and there major complaint with him was that the school was competitive in all the chicken **** sports like soccer, lacrosse, etc. but couldn't win in Football and Basketball. I say its time to get a new AD and win some football and basketball games.
Texan

Postby Ikus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:59 pm

With all their negativity, SkipJones and Texan sound like PonySnob starter kits.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:45 pm

Virginia had two final four appearances in basketball during Copeland's tenure. I consider Men's Basketball a money sport. The lost in the semi-finals on a missed buzzer shot one year. I think he was responsible for luring George Welch away from Navy and Welch rebuilt their football program. By the way in the Mid-Atlantic states, college lacrosse bragging rights are very important. Note, Georegetown rebuilt its lacrosse program before starting to rebuild its football program. He also hired a soccer coach at UVa., a guy name Bruce Arena, you might have heard of him, he coaches the U.S. World Cup team now.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Lefty » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:50 pm

Nice job, EastStang!
Copeland's a keeper.
Lefty
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:24 pm

All you anti-Copeland guys are idiots...

Next time you are in FORD, look around and see what you wouldn't have without Copeland. Imagine life back in the ROTTON Bowl.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:38 pm

At least we had more wins
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby StangEsq » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Southland:
<B> Because SMU is the #41 school in the Sears Cup standings, runs a balanced budget, maintains a top tier standing for graduation rates, has built a tremendous facility, and increased corporate sponsorships during his tenure.

It certainly isn’t Copeland’s fault that the 8 MWC schools left the WAC, and an un-timely probation kept us out of CUSA in 1999 (just as it did Marshall in ’01).

The restrictions that were (and to a lesser extent now, are) imposed on our coaches for recruiting were put in place long before Copeland came to SMU, and ultimately, it will be up to the Board to repeal them completely.

All in all, Jim has done a tremendous job, considering the fixed units he is forced to play with. I’m just as frustrated as anyone else at our lack of success on the football field, but that has been an issue of talent, not athletic department leadership.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#41??????? You're happy with that? Seems like we had several top 30 finishes in the 90s. I wouldn't consider being middle-of-the-pack an accomplishment.

How did SMU get left behind when CUSA took TCU? That was probably the biggest slap in the face we've ever had. TCU was coming off one decent year in football and a long history of being a spare program in both football and basketball. We took it for granted that we would be accepted as well.

I was elated when we lured Copeland here. But the that the basketball program has floundered in mediocrity, yet we continue to accept a lack of improvement, has been disappointing.

On the other hand, what options do we have?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Southland » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StangEsq:
<B> #41??????? You're happy with that? Seems like we had several top 30 finishes in the 90s. I wouldn't consider being middle-of-the-pack an accomplishment.

How did SMU get left behind when CUSA took TCU? That was probably the biggest slap in the face we've ever had. TCU was coming off one decent year in football and a long history of being a spare program in both football and basketball. We took it for granted that we would be accepted as well.

I was elated when we lured Copeland here. But the that the basketball program has floundered in mediocrity, yet we continue to accept a lack of improvement, has been disappointing.

On the other hand, what options do we have? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#41...
#3 amongst non-BCS schools (Princeton, Harvard)
#1 in the WAC
20 places ahead of the top CUSA school (TCU)

Yes, I am happy with that; especially considering we are poor at football, and don't compete in 12 of the 25 NCAA sports.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:12 pm

Years ago, Jim Copeland told me he was trying to raise over $50 million for a new football stadium. I had the nerve to chuckle. He said it not only would be better than Ownby, but that it would be as attractive as any stadium in the country, and that it would help bring better players to the school. He told me he already had much of the money committed, and again, I chuckled and muttered something along the lines of "yeah right."

Needless to say, I'm a believer in Copeland. We have the nicest stadium in the state - by far - and the caliber of players playing in it is going way up.

In other words, he's delivered on everything he said he would that day.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:19 pm

We were left behind when TCU left because of the investigation involving the Malin incident. Technically, we would have been eligible for Death Penalty, the sequel. CUSA wanted no part of that. We are no longer in that situation. Note that CUSA's Commissioner has not moved away from Dallas, there's probably a reason why.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:32 pm

Does anyone know Copeland's position on JC's / PE Majors?

Is he overtly or covertly commuicating his position?

I feel he is a keeper.
SoCal_Pony

Next

Return to Football