PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Copeland still here?!?!?!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Copeland still here?!?!?!

Postby pony91 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:41 am

Are you Copeland Lovers blind or stupid!? SMU is a complete non-issue in DFW Media Outlets. We are no closer to being back in football than we were when Poor Mike Romo showed up at Ownby. TCU and UNT get sports updates on radio and print outlets with no mention of SMU. The fact is Copeland comes off as rude and arrogant who has the people skills of a fencepost.
pony91
Scout Team

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:17 pm

THE News has been covering SMU MUCH more than the recent past.

We didn't get invited to CUSA because the BBALL only schools prevailed and didn't want 16 schools in total, so it was easier to just invite ECU as a full member instead of us. At the time, we were 0-4 I believe, so it really looked BLEAK.

[This message has been edited by GoRedGoBlue (edited 09-16-2003).]
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:18 pm

MEDIA coverage in DFW has a lot to do with WINNING, and we haven't been winning.

The only negative I will give Copeland was the hiring of CAVAN, although without the new recruiting policies, any coach was destined for failure.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 am

Copeland is pretty poor on marketing. Has NO
concept of the idea.

My girlfriend, and I had to walk more than a mile+ in 96 when we played Navy in the Fair Park Cotton Bowl way back where there is now shuttle service to the fair because he was having fire works in a much closer lot where everybody could've parked to celebrate Cavan's new regime.

While they were building the Doak Walker monument next to the stadium, there were NO
signs directing you the correct way around the construction, and most people had to double back, and walk about 500 yards extra
to get on the correct path to the stadium after getting off of the shuttle buses.

If I was a prospective fan NO WAY would've I
come back for another game.

I've heard several neat radio commercials on
the TCU Horny Toads featuring a famous voice in the last few weeks. Where is SMU?

Ford would've built the stadium regardless of the name of the AD, and Copeland will be
Copeland till I see a major improvement in
everything I have seen since he fired all the major sport coaches in his first 1 1/2 years here.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:48 am

there is no marketing budget to speak of-once again there is this tendency to blame the figureheads rather than look at the real reasons for the programs shortcomings. Fire the AD!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby pony91 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:57 am

SMU needs a salesman- OK, I will say it-someone like Charlie Waters who has some influence in Dallas to get Dallas Business supporting SMU and locals who may have gone to college elsewhere supporting SMU. All of the above is going on at TCU. Copeland is simply in over his head.
pony91
Scout Team

Postby cowboypony » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:04 am

There has been much discussion on this board about SMU's marketing, vision, budget, etc. I've shared a few opinions on this as well. However, I've done what few of you have done and that is go directly to Woody Norris and express my concerns, thoughts and ideas. I found Woody's views to be both refreshing and creative. We're all entitled to our opinions but, at least, be informed. Woody is willing and able to talk to each one of you about your ideas and concerns. It's pretty safe to say that all of us on this board are very frustrated fans. Give Woody a call and I think you'll feel at least a little bit better about what SMU is trying to do. We've created most of our own woes since the DP. Today, however, there are people at SMU who are pointing us in the right direction. Just remember, it takes some time to rise up from the bottom.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby DomerPony » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:01 pm

Copeland works hard to run a clean program. Under his tenure the pervasive stench of the DP is slowly lifting. Evildoers like Malin are no longer welcome on the Hilltop.

I support him.
DomerPony
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football