PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett considering lifting Massey's redshirt

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bennett considering lifting Massey's redshirt

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:05 pm

Wasn't Massey oozing confidence when he signed, saying he'd be stepping in and breaking records, etc? Now's the time, young man! Step up and perform!

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:13 pm

I'd hate to waste a redshirt year, but it's only been 2 games... I'd be very happy to give Massey a shot. Him and Munlin would have 3 and 2 years of eliginility left, respectively, next year, correct?

If Fitz is being held back by something, whatever that is, let's get him on the field! We need as many athletes as we can get on the field.

Sounds like Massey doesn't need his redshirt if he's already tearing it up on the scout team. Let the kid play, especially if Bennett is finally willing to use rotating backs.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:16 pm

Good points, UNF. It has only been two games.
And Coach Bennett needs to rotate his backs regularly if he's trying to keep Kincade alive and if he's going to yank the redshirt off Massey. Do NOT waste it! (Remember, his brother Donald will be watching, and we need to get back in the hunt for that kid's services. His speed is the kind everyone wants from our WRs.)
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Dark Horse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:28 pm

How much do you think the play calling for runs would change with Massey toting the rock instead of Kincade? My guess is not much - KK isn't that big, but he sure isn't afraid to lower his head and fight it out inside.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby Dark Horse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyPride:
[B] .... Johnnie Fitzgerald, which might result in a position switch (perhaps to fullback or even to defense).... /B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet there's some truth to that, since I've heard whispers that Cedric Dorsey -- the New Boston HS guy who was a star RB in HS -- has been moved back from DB to RB, and is impressing the coaches a lot. Don't know if it's true, since I haven't seen a practice, but that's the rumor on the grapevine.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:58 pm

In regard to Fitzgerald..I heard that his blocking ability was not improving well and thats one reason he is being held out (for what its worth..but from an inside source)
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:11 pm

The only real reason to redshirt a running back is physical strength and not to waste a year by not playing enough. Neither would be an issue with Massey Its not like our offense is complex and hard for a rb to pick up either. Massey is strong enough to play now and we need him badly if Fitzgerald is not going to play like it appears obvious hes not. Plus there is the added benefit of showing his brother that you can play early at SMU. I doubt Bennett promised Richuel he would play as a freshman during recruiting, but I bet Richuel like any highly regarded player would, heard it that way.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:28 pm

I haven't seen any of the 1st two games, but the question seems to be whether Richuel has any more quickness or breakaway speed than Keylon does. Not since ShanDerrick Charles have we seen a guy who can burst thru a hole and gain significant yardage. I've come to appreciate KK as a workhorse, but now I'm starting to think it might be time to let more of our "future" players start gaining experience NOW. Bennett has a tough decision to make, but if he's going to start lifting more redshirts, let's not wait until the San Jose game! We could use SOMETHING to get excited about...NOW!!!

We really need to compete against OSU. Another blowout loss will not have these guys inspried to travel to Reno. We really need to be pointing to that game. A win in Sept would be big. They had a chance in Waco and let one get away. Fight like hell against OSU, go out and beat Nevada and we could be in for some excitement before this year is over with. I'm still hoping these seniors get to tast a big upset win at Ford...either Fresno, Boise of TCU. We need to build some momentum and if that means turning Richuel loose, just do it.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:41 pm

CP, I agree with most all that. But I think we may have to play Massey even if he was a KK clone. There is no way we can operate the whole year with only one running back is there?
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:12 pm

KK has shown to be incredibly durable and can be counted on to carry 30 times a game or more and average 3.3 yds/carry. The question is whether Massey has the power and speed to be agame breaker. We obviously need more playmakers on the field. If he's showing that in practice againt our 1st team defense, them why wait? This team can still compete in the WAC. These two losses mean nothing once WAC play begins.
Charleston Pony

Postby sam » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:48 pm

Under the Lights,you must think that nobody except Highland Park kids can play,your devotion to Edison in last weeks thread and now Walcott proves that-maybe you cheer for the shorter underdog players,Either way neither should be playing at this time. One problem we have with the offense is we can only run the ball to the right side behind Harris and Hargis(thank God he is back)and even then KK got tackled from behind several times because we did not get the seal from the back side. This team has more problems than a few redshirts.OL is a major concern,receiving is another one and one running back is also a problem,when we needed one the most near the end of the game he had nothing to give,not his fault, coaching problem.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby Ponymon » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:43 pm

Don't forget that Fitzgerald also has a brother at Red Oak that might need to be impressed especially after the way he played his first two games!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
These two losses mean nothing once WAC play begins.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CP, I'm with you on everything you said with the exception of your final statement. If we are ever going to get any respect again, we have to be able to beat somebody outside the WAC. There is no respect of the WAC, generally speaking, outside of the conference itself.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Diehard Pony:
<B> CP, I'm with you on everything you said with the exception of your final statement. If we are ever going to get any respect again, we have to be able to beat somebody outside the WAC. There is no respect for the WAC, generally speaking, outside of the conference itself.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Under the Lights » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sam:
<B>Under the Lights,you must think that nobody except Highland Park kids can play,your devotion to Edison in last weeks thread and now Walcott proves that-maybe you cheer for the shorter underdog players,Either way neither should be playing at this time. One problem we have with the offense is we can only run the ball to the right side behind Harris and Hargis(thank God he is back)and even then KK got tackled from behind several times because we did not get the seal from the back side. This team has more problems than a few redshirts.OL is a major concern,receiving is another one and one running back is also a problem,when we needed one the most near the end of the game he had nothing to give,not his fault, coaching problem.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam,

You're showing your weaknesses for understanding the game. First, with the regard to the "backside seal" - if you bothered to look at the game you would have realized at least 3 things: (1) Sterling Harris did not block anyone on the right side at the poa (point of attack) - with no where for the running back to go this provided ample time for the back side end (over Kieshcnick) to pursue the play down the line and make multiple stops. Additionally, the same defensive end (over Kieschnick) was named Big 12 defensive player of the week primarily for his 2 consecutive QB sacks in the 4th qtr. (2) Each player is graded by their respective coach on their performance in the game. It is my understanding that Eidson & Hargis led the offensive line (grade wise) in the Baylor game. (3) You seem to correlate size with outcome. Evidently the size that matters is the amount of "heart" that a player carries into a game.

Let me suggest to you that the guys that shouldn't be playing are the guys that grade out consistently as losers. To date, I think that yoke fits squarely on the shoulders of Harris and Kieschnick. We need these guys to step up and play to their abilities. You're right to evidence my bias, but it is not due to geography - rather, it is predicated on performance. To quote Phil Bennett from his press conference last Monday, "Grant Eidson was a bright spot in the Tech game."

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Stay with banking - you have no future in analyzing football.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football