PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Weekend at Nacho's

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Weekend at Nacho's

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:24 pm

Let's see how I did this extended weekend:

Coppell beat #10 Duncanville--underdog pulls off the upset with inspired, attacking offense and solid D.
Arkansas beat UT--a thing of beauty. Ark runs a good offense. Really kept UT off balance.
SMU lost to Baylor--honeymoon officially over for Bennett and co., especially O-coordinator
Giants will whip the Cows--in 3 more years the Cows can draft Bartel and get back on track.

3-1. Not bad.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Weekend at Nacho's

Postby PK » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:58 pm

Nacho, we are all disappointed in the results of the Baylor game, but you need to get some perspective here.

1. The O-coordinator had nothing to do with the special teams screw ups and mistakes which allowed Baylor good field position.

2. The players have to execute the plays to make them work. There were three long pass routes in which had the plays been properly executed everyone would have been very happy...unfortunately that didn't happen.

3. We are not yet Miami and I think enough has been said in other post about some of the challenges our recievers are having to deal with.

We have only played two games this year and we obviously need to improve...we will improve. Don't go getting your undies in a bunch so quickly.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-15-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:01 pm

Good points, PK
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:34 pm

It's all about talent. The only knowledgable people on this board have been saying it forever. We won't win until we get more talent on both sides of the ball. Our defense looked good against Baylor. If we can get some stops and turnovers against OSU, a much MUCH more athletic team, I'll be satisfied. I hope Bartel keeps making good decisions, and I say we lift Massey's redshirt (and surprise OSU) and start utilizing our short recievers and throwing up the gut. Forget INT's. We're wasting time, and we're going nowhere calling the same plays over and over again. Yeah, we have no passing game.. that doesn't mean we run the same running play over and over. C'mon!

We're still getting talent in here.. Bennett has just started. No more whining, and that includes me. I'm going to be patient. Everyone is saying we haven't had a better recruiter since the DP. Well even if Bennett turns out to be a horrible game coach (which hasn't proven to be true just yet), at least the next coach will have some good talent to work with! Image

Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:38 pm

There is a pretty good offensive cordinator up in Denton.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:45 pm

Hey, I like Ramon too, but I don't see any offensive explosions out of UNT in the past three years...that 52 pts was off of 6 turnovers committed by BU.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby woodsnwater » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:21 pm

We were on Baylor's end of the field the entire first half and got 7 points.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Return to Football